Best Bluefield team of all time?

WeirFootball

BuzzsawBeaver,I could be wrong but didn't Bluefield lose to Welch at Welch? I went to every home game and some away games and I do not recall that game in Bluefield. If remember correctly my brother made commits about how the playing field was wet like it had rained when it didn't rain all week. I work with a guy that was on the welch team that year,and when we talk about that game he talks as if the game was played at Welch. I will ask him next time I'am around the Ieager-Welch area where the game was played.

I could be wrong but I recall the game being at mitchell stadium, something like 14 - 7. That's 1 of the other few of the regular season games I recall, I recall going up to charleston for the buckannon upshure playoff game, 42 - 0, and of course the title game at mitchell stadium, that was an impressive crowd and atmosphere.

but from what the radio station in blfd wv had to say last sat it was a lot more than just 30 transfers this year and were more request. they said that tazewell county said that there were more than space. and did not rule out tazewell high but i dont think parents would want to travel that far. but i could be wrong about that part meaning tazewell high. thought that was what the radio talk show host was saying. i am old and dont hear to well anymore according to some.

"If remember correctly my brother made commits about how the playing field was wet like it had rained when it didn't rain all week"

Ā 

I have heard that (who ever was the coach) would have it sprayed everyday and soak the field all season long..

[ QUOTE ]

BuzzsawBeaver,I could be wrong but didn't Bluefield lose to Welch at Welch? I went to every home game and some away games and I do not recall that game in Bluefield. If remember correctly my brother made commits about how the playing field was wet like it had rained when it didn't rain all week. I work with a guy that was on the welch team that year,and when we talk about that game he talks as if the game was played at Welch. I will ask him next time I'am around the Ieager-Welch area where the game was played.

Ā 

Ā 

[/ QUOTE ]

Ā 

Hey rabid beaver, that 1975 championship game is the first game that I can remember going to as a kid. I remember it being extremely cold and the biggest crowd I have ever seen at Mitchell Stadium to this day. I also remember All- American running back, Robert Alexander(Alexander the Great), coming in with lots of hype and being heavily recruited throughout the country. I believe Bluefield shut him down pretty good didn't they? Wasn't current Asst. Coach Randy Albert on that team?

[ QUOTE ]

You are correct beaverball Randy ALbert was on that team. That game and the 1997 state championship game against Grafton was the coldest games that I can remember. You do remember the 1997 game don't you?

Ā 

[/ QUOTE ]

Ā 

Anytime you have to go to Canada, ummm, I mean Wheeling, in December, its going to be COLD...

I didn't think the game against grafton in '97 was really all that cold, but there was snowfall and wind chill here and there and more snow than any other year. '02 and '04 games in the wheeling province of the yukon were the coldest games that I recall, particularly '04. I wasn't there in '03 or '05. I don't recall many really cold games at mitchell stadium cause we often have even mild weather through the semi's, but '75 was cold and the semi game at night against westside in '03 in the swirling snow and wind was cold, that game was a lot like the '02 playoff game at james monroe.

[ QUOTE ]

You are correct beaverball Randy ALbert was on that team. That game and the 1997 state championship game against Grafton was the coldest games that I can remember. You do remember the 1997 game don't you?

Ā 

[/ QUOTE ]

Ā 

How could I forget. You kept cramping up on the way back and my dad got pnumonia. I also remember a certain Bluefield player getting thumped in the endzone by a Grafton player. I assume you recall that??lol

haha, i remember that in the back of the endzone...

Ā 

and that game against Westside in the blizzard... for some reason - i was burning up on fire that night, and i was just wearing a t-shirt and still sweating. 'ol #76 might remember why

• 14 years later...

04 or 07 hands down . Both of those teams were built to play through injuries, none of the teams in Mercer could keep up wasnā€™t even close. Both teams defensively had the ability to take your best player/players out of the game stat-impact wise . In 04 the signature game was vs Weir at Mitchell winner goes to State vs Wayne the way the defense kept getting stops and turnovers consistently was one incredible display of defense executed to a T. 07 that team had a lot of underrated weapons, but when Will Cole chose to play for bluefield it was like his and Anselā€™s chemistry just kept growing day by day. The 07 signature game had to be vs William Campbell or Richlands both of those games that year really came down to bluefields last drive, but each time Will and that offense did what great offenses do and thats move the chains and win the important downs when needed most. I would do anything to go back and sit in those bleachers just to relive it all over again and I wouldnā€™t change anything about either year/games mentioned.