Public push for Field Turf has begun...

Bluefield_Rules

The City has been pursuing means to install Field Turf inside of Mitchell Stadium for sometime now, but now the pursuit is going public.

http://www.bdtonline.com/local/local_story_153220717.html

Mayor: Area could benefit from city recreation upgrades

By BILL ARCHER

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD  When the city of Bluefield’s recreation complex emerged in the late 1930s, the facilities were state of the art. The imposing 10,000-seat Mitchell Stadium was a Works Progress Administration structure built in 1936. The City Auditorim came along at about the same time.

Other amenities including a pool, tennis courts, a professional baseball field, softball park, horse show ring, park and other recreational sites rounded out the city’s significant commitment to a quality of life component. Basketball great Jerry West played on the City Auditorium basketball court ... College Football All-American Pete Wood scored touchdowns on Chmara Field ... and professional baseball’s “Iron Man,†Cal Ripkein Jr., began his illustrious career with the Baby Birds on Bowen Field.

In spite of the storied past of Bluefield’s sports complex, some of the facilities are showing their age. Although it has had major work in the past, Bluefield Mayor Garry Moore said that Mitchell Stadium needs new field turf and other renovations before Bluefield can get back into the bidding process to host the West Virginia “Super 6†football championship games.

“Each generation needs to do something for the next generation,†Moore said. “Each generation has a responsibility to provide the following generation with something better than that generation had. We’re looking ahead to what we can do for the next generation.â€ÂÂ

The Bluefield city board of directors has scheduled a special call meeting for 10:30 a.m., Tuesday, June 6, to discuss fund-raising activities. Moore said the board hopes to open a dialogue between board members and city residents to come up with ideas of how to raise funds to make much-needed improvements on the recreational facilities.

“Right now, the National AAU tournaments are being held in Beckley,†Moore said. “We could compete for those tournaments if we had a new floor in the auditorium. We could also host Biddie-Buddy basketball tournaments here if we had the courts to hold the teams.

Moore said the board has been considering this challenge for some time, but wants to get citizen input. He said that some groups that use the facilities have expressed concerns about the need for upgrades and members of the local Sons of Italy have said that a larger kitchen in the Herb Sims Youth would help with the food preparation for that annual event.

Moore said he received letters from the students in Marlene Dowell’s second grade class at Whitethorn Elementary School encouraging the city to expand activities at the park. “One of the students said we should put up our own Ferris wheel and rides so we could enjoy activities similar to the Mountain Festival all year long,†Moore said.

“Hopefully, the renovations will stimulate other convention-related businesses to benefit,†Moore said. “I think the local hotels and restaurants could benefit from those improvements.â€ÂÂ

Moore encouraged the public to attend the meeting.

– Contact Bill Archer at barcher@bdtonline.com

Anything you say on here Weir football is in an attempt to start trouble. Remember what you called our field and area down here in a personal email to me so no one else could see? We don't want your input or you instigating trouble on here.

I'm not trying to start up trouble, but there is no way the Super Six will ever leave Wheeling Island Stadium.

------------------------------------------------------------

The Island should have lost that bid 2 years ago when Parkersburg totally had a better bid package.

But we all know how money talks to people in charge of that site vote.

Wheeling does a great job with the games, NOT in my personal opinion. An I have been to every Super Six

I could careless whether or not Bluefield gets the Super Six or not. I want Field Turf for the positives it'll add to Mitchell Stadium. Besides, as long as the City of Wheeling is giving the SSAC folks all the little perks they do, the Super Six will never leave. Plus, no other stadium in the state has a strip club and gambling facility outside its gates. I mean what better venue to prostitute…oops I mean present our state football championships at?

Something needs to be done to force the WVSSAC to have to rotate the supersix every so many years to make it fair to all parts of WV. I think everyone should have the oppurtunity to see the supersix and with the way things are now it seems that noone but the people of Wheeling matter. I'm not a lawyer or anything,but it seems like the cittizens of the state could do something to force the SSAC to have to rotate these games in order to give people in each part of the state a fair chance at attending them.

They both should be rotated, but at least with the bball tournament in charleston it seems more accessible for everyone in the state to make it to see the games than it does with football in wheeling.Another negative thing about Wheeling is that the people who do come to those games end up doing most of their business such as where they stay and eat in Ohio. I'm not very familiar with where the state of ohio hosts their championship games, but I'm willing to bet that it's not in a location to make it easier for people of WV to come to than it is for the people of their own stateand as well I'm sure businesses in WV don't make significant profits off the event.

the title games are a different argument, and 1 that in my opinion are out of anyone else's hands aside from those people in the ssac and the people in wheeling. That said, as for the topic at hand, I agree, it doesn't matter whether or not they ever host the title games at mitchell stadium, field turf would be something else for all who use it and would benefit from it. Anything after that would be gravy....

The title game will never leave Wheeling because it is the nicest high school stadium in the state. If it had not been for the flood, which is out of anyone's control, noone would be complaining. However, they did a lot of work on the field after it was damaged. No, Parkersburg didn't have a better package and if it was ever played there I wouldn't go. The turf at Stadium Field is cement and there isn't hardly any parking. I know when my dad was in HS, he told me he always hated playing there. Also, like I said I wasn't trying to start trouble but obviously BluefieldPT is such a big shot down in Bluefield(sarcasm) he's going to say anything he wants on here. Also, to the person that said Wheeling Island is a swamp, it really doesn't matter because Mount View will never play for a state title so you don't have to worry where the game is at.

You are prob. right. But Mitchell stadium needs updated bad it could be there if it was. But, the same case...everyone will be on the VA dinnig and some hotels..just like in weeling everyone spends money in Ohio not WV, It does no good there. It should be in Charleston..The football teams even stay in Ohio side for the games. They need to show the south some love...heck bluefield will be there ever year anyway!!!!

Not all of the teams stay in Ohio and Wheeling is the only venue in the north that holds a state championship. Charleston has baseball, girl's and boy's basketball, track, and cheerleading. Hungtington hosts wrestling while Beckley has soccer. The real problem that people from the south have is the drive to Wheeling. However, I don't complain when I've driven the past two years 3.5 hours to Charleston for the basketball and baseball tournaments when Weir played. Who cares what is near the stadium? Do you think that Park and Central wanted a gambling establishment right near their stadium? NO! However, for as many people from Bluefield complain about it, I bet at least half of them go to the Downs and spend money! The Super Six isn't leaving Wheeling so people should just get used to it.

I agree with that statement.

Most of the teams have elected to bus in the day of their game and leave town right after the game.

Unless you are from South of Charleston or the Eastern Panhandle.

Hey weir football, you also forgot to mention the three times you drove all the way south to bluefield and left balling your eyes out from "that s*&thole we call a stadium" (as you personal mailed me and called Mitchell Stadium) Why do are you even on this message board other than to put us down here in the southern part of the state and try to piss everyone off by talking trash to us? Heres a note to all, Weirfootball calls us all pansies and "hillbillies with southern accents"from down here and gets on here and comes into every thread and starts a debate and pisses everyone off. I say we ban him from this site (hasn't this already happened once?) until he shows us some respect!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where does Weir play its games at? LOL, we wouldn't know down here, we never have to travel there for an away playoff game. Also, what is the overall Bluefield-Weir rivalry record? Would be interested to know this.

I'm friends with people from Bluefield, that's why I'm on this message board. Unlike you, they actually played football at Bluefield. You're supposed to be a professional in health care yet you act like a kid? I think you're a bum that works at McDonald's to be honest. I called YOU a pansy because you hide behind a computer name and talk like you're some big shot to make yourself feel better about your life. I don't think I ever said anything about a southern accent because I have family from Alabama. Actually my cousin plays for West Alabama and his family has a strong southern accent. Who is we, when you say to ban me? Did I miss the memo where you became a moderator? I'm not talking trash about anyone. Jimmy Carey Stadium in Weirton is awsome, but I know it shouldn't hold the Super Six. When did I ball my eyes out when we lost? I don't ever remember that. I remember being mad at two coaches who are related in 03 and 04 and admitting that in 97, Bluefield had a better team but I never cried over any football game, especially one that I went to in middle school. The history of the series doesn't matter. All that matters is that Weir is the DEFENDING AA STATE CHAMPS with a 40-0 victory over a good Bluefield team.

Didn't say I was a moderator, loser, thats why i suggested banning your punk a from this board. I don't get on here and tout my accomplishmnets back in high school. I played football, basketball, and baseball for Bluefield High School. Sad to see you had to go join Morgantowns team as a back-up punters coach so you could finally get you a ring. If you want me to put your personal message on here where you called us all down here hillbillies with accents as well as pansies I will be happy to do so. You're nothing but an immature arrogant punk kid that gets on here to rub in the fact you FINALLY beat us and to put down every team in this area. Mt. View, James Monroe, Us, you name it you bash us. I'm not falling for you childish jabs anymore. I told myself that once but you continously jump into every thread and start an argument over your ohio/pennsylvania town being better than everyone else. I don't need to feel better about my life. Like i said in my personal email, I could pay for your house in half a year. hahaha This is why u need to be off this board. Your just a punk kid. There are high school sophomores on here acting more mature than you are. ( and just because you got the honor of meeting Rusty and Daniel once doesn't mean you have "friends in Bluefield") You get on here and say that, but tell me in personal mail you hate Bluefield and we are a buncha pansies and hillbillies!!! (I bet if we didn't dominate the series between Bluefield and Weir, the series record would matter to you.

Weir....you know so many stats of ours, please let us know the record between Weir and BLFD. I just don't know what it is. I hated the 40-0 victory. But i guess you deseve it after getting spanked down here in the "HILLBILLY" town every time you visit.

Say what you want, but I constantly talk to Tom and met him at 3 Bluefield games. I even had a copy of the 04 tape made for him when he asked me because he's pretty cool. We talk smack to each other but it's just joking around. I wasn't talking about Coeburn and Wells. I would defend the whole state of WV, yet you talk smack about the Ohio Valley because we are close to OH and PA. Also, you couldn't pay for my house in a year and a half. You only have your master's degree. When I'm done with school, I'll have a doctorate and then we can talk about salaries. And since you say that you don't believe me, why don't you make a trip to the N/S game and you can still not believe me when I have transcripts. I don't care and I don't think I'm a big shot like you do because I'll be a physical therapist. And if I thought people from the South were hillbillies, why would I have spent part of 3 summers in down state WV working for Habitat for Humanity? You think you have all this money, but go to some of the subdivisions up here in Weirton and see that your house and cars are nothing. But like I said if you'd like to meet up at the N/S game, then just let me know.

ya know its funny....Weir you said he had to hide behind a name on here...but its funny...you talk like you are the big sh*t up there in Weir and YOU are hiding behind a name...you said you will be a PT well....he is too...so yeah you arent much better than BluefieldPT...i know him well and i would put money on it that he is TWICe or maybe even THREE TIMES a better person than you are....