Top 5 players from Richlands of all-time

old_school_blue

I was living in Richmond when most of those guys played so Rogers was the only one I saw. He's at the top of my list. It was fun to watch him hurdle over people the way he did.

I played with Smeltzer he was a good player but he doesnt crack the top five richlands players of all time, probably not the top 10

Some combination of Brannan Breeding, Sandy Rogers, Jeremy McCommons, Mike Compton, Mark Oliver, Matt McGlothlin

1.Gerald "Red" Bobbitte, All state in 1958. Played both ways at Va Tech in 1962 at Tailback and linebacker. Lead the Hokies in pass interceptions and was the leading rusher. In my opinion he was the best all-around football player to wear the Big Blue uniform. He did this all with a bum ankle, from high school.

2. Mike compton

3. Brannon Breeding

4. Kelly "Mutt" Buskill (Played for UVA)

5. Terry Wess

if i'm not mistaken sandy rogers averaged over 10 yards a carry his last year.....it would be hard (considering his college career and the fact he tried out as a free agent for the broncos, or so i was told) to believe he was not one of the top 2 backs in the history of richlands,,,also, jeremy mccommons was an absolute horse with the ball, unfortunately, his senior year he had a totally new and very green offensive line....

boys u got to look at breeding as one of the top backs... i remember when we played tazewell and they had that stud linebacker or so they thought and i remember breeding pointing at him and telling him he was going to run over him and then doing it....hes a top candidate... travis brown was also another horse that richlands has had in years past..

• 15 years later...

On 6/14/2006 at 1:34 PM, wasp1 said:

Mike Compton

Brian Beavers

John Knuckles

Snack Ginn

Eric " Mad Dog" Yost

Johnny Knuckles. Now that is a blast from the past!  Pound for pound, Libra por Libra,  Mano a Mano, one of the most toughest dudes to ever put on a uni in SWVA. One heck of a defensive back.

One of his teammates, Brian Beavers, brutal hitting linebacker and fullback would also rank high on the Blues All Timers List. Ridgeviews Brandon Beavers is a star and his nephew, but I'm telling you, his uncle was one heck of a player in his own right.

Those Blues teams in the mid 80s with Beavers and Knuckles weren't great, but those two certainly were.  Some other great Blues not mentioned , but we're very good was Adam Laland (spelling off) Chad King, and the McGlothilan kid (lineman) thst played at Tennessee.

Well this thread was dug up from the grave lol. 
I would venture that most of these lists are so obsolete now. Just since 06, the Blues have had so many “Rushmore” type players. 
Fuller, Jennings, McCracken, Thomas, Strong bros., Johnson, Asbury, Howie, Ball, Webb. 

Top 5 is much harder now than it was 15 years ago. 

On 6/15/2006 at 9:12 AM, FatBoy said:

Larry Costello

Romolo Farjado

Riley Stoots

Red Heat (can't remember that dudes name)

Jeff Hearst

Fat Boy where have you been?????   Uncle Percy has been worried that the Mamby Pamby Politically Correct Police had locked you up in the Keystone Jail and tossed the keys away.

1 hour ago, ghos88t said:

Fat Boy where have you been?????   Uncle Percy has been worried that the Mamby Pamby Politically Correct Police had locked you up in the Keystone Jail and tossed the keys away.

That was 2006 when he posted....lol

2 hours ago, ghos88t said:

He ain’t been on this since in nearly 9 years 😂

On 6/14/2006 at 10:17 AM, BigD4VT said:

I was living in Richmond when most of those guys played so Rogers was the only one I saw. He's at the top of my list. It was fun to watch him hurdle over people the way he did.

Welcome back, BigD!!!

• GMan locked this topic