ABINGDON FOOTBALL COACH SUSPENDED

techivyleague

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/news.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2006-09-19-0011.html

The head football coach at Abingdon High School was suspended Monday following incidents at Friday night’s game against Richlands.

The Washington County School Board met Monday night, but did not discuss the suspension of Coach Ray Gregory in open session.

But according to several people who spoke during the public comment portion of the meeting, Gregory yelled at members of the team.

Half a dozen spoke in support of Gregory. Two spoke against the coach and assured the board that more would have been present to oppose him if they’d known so many would support him.

Gregory’s wife, Christine, said her husband is “intense, but he wants to see those kids succeed. He yells at them because he cares. Football is a contact sport. You’ve got to be intense if you’re going to step on the field.â€Â

Andrea Armstead, whose brother plays on the team, felt differently.

“It was not just cussing and swearing at the football team,†she said. “It was Coach Gregory’s actions on and off the field that we felt were unacceptable.â€Â

The School Board met in closed session, but took no action regarding Gregory.

When asked how long the suspension would last, Superintendent Alan Lee declined comment.

In other news, the board voted – again – to delay taking a stance on a beer application by Super-Size-Sports, which plans to serve beer at the Abingdon Cinemall. The movie complex is near Abingdon High.

Board members again asked Superintendent Alan Lee to gather more information.

dmccown@bristolnews.com | (276) 791-0701

Ummm...don't all football coaches yell at their players and occasionally sling a four-letter word or two??? I've never met one who didn't do that...

This clinches it...Abingdon is the most PC place in the world...no wonder they suck at football...

Surely to goodness there is more to it than that! At least I hope so. The principal at that school is a top notch guy, so I really doubt it was only about their coach yelling. I'm sure we will hear all of the details, but it definitely makes the Abingdon community look pretty darn silly based on what the paper reported. Goodness gracious, who would ever want that job if they knew they'd be suspended for getiing onto kids. I've just gotta believe there's more to the story. If anyone out there knows, plwase share

I think it is more than yelling he started off on the wrong foot with the parents when he took the job. You know as well as I do you can't expect high school kids to come to weightlifting, that would mean hard work and dedication. Then when the don't show up you have the guts to call them out in the paper and take away their playing time giving it to the younger kids who attended weightlifting how moronic is he. Bottom line is this they want a coach who will go 0-10 or 1-9 and play their kids, winning is not as important as playing the lazy, spoiled kids, over the hard working ones.

I doubt that petition is necessary. I'm sure as soon as this season is over he'll go someplace where coaches are allowed to coach. Sucks for the players though. They'll be lucky to get a 6th grade gym teacher to take the job after this.

The truth is coach gregory has done nothing but play sports his whole life and when he couldnt play anymore he decided to pass on what he knows hes done that for over 20 years at the college level now hes coaching at a lower level. Yes yelling is a part of it and personally i accept that as part of the sport so i say all the parents need to just shut up and let the man do his job and for the players get over it you dont have to like your coach you just have to respect him. So do it hate him all you want cause he hurt your feelings once or twice so what grow some balls!!!!!!!!

P.s. nothing happened off the field

[ QUOTE ]

he was actually cussing us for no reason bein a deusche shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you inferring that he was swearing in German? One would think that would actually impress the locals.

Wait a second. That would actually be deutsche, wouldn't it?

Never mind....

i think that the players and parents need to suck it up and play ball. i dont know the whole story, but most of it, and it seems like a bunch of bull#$%# to me. if everytime some students didnt like a coach or a teacher, and tried to get them fired then we wouldnt have a school. if you dont like him then dont play, move aside for the people that want to play.