Bluefield's head coach

FOOTBALLMAN

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the '92 team was one hell of a team that couldn't win at the AAA level due to Beckley. Now the first 2 years that you guys moved down you won it all and that was 10 years ago. Some of you need to realize that you are not going to win it year in and year out. Be glad that you have one of the best teams each year. It's not as if you have a history of winning BASKETBALL championships although 2 is more than some schools get in their history. It's great to have high expectations but some of you are taking it too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oldskool I agree completely, and I am a Bluefield fan. We are one of the more talented teams in the state year in and year out but to believe that they are a lock is ridiculous. While they are very talented, they are not blue chip players.

[/ QUOTE ]

we dont expect one every year, one out of four would have been great. Bluefield was the best team last year in the state and BY FAR the most athletic team we have seen in awhile and they lost to a slow unathletic team in the quarterfinals. Why? cause we didnt use our advantages. The coach let them dictate the tempo. we just want the coach to at least USE the talent we have. For example Gilliard sat out a first team all tournament player in 2006 for most of the third and all but 47 seconds of the fourth. With 47 seconds left what can he do? i understand sitting a guy down with 4 fouls ... but till 47 ticks left? thats stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the most athletic team doesn't always win in basketball. The best TEAM wins. Just like in 2005 when WVU beat Wake Forest, who was the most talented and athletiv team? But who had the most heart? Who cares how athletic the players are the important thing is whether or not they are good basketball players. How many of our guys are playing college basketball?? Also I have played against guys in pickup games who went to schools in WV who aren't considered "athletic" but they are damn good basketball players. So the point is it wasn't a lock for the Beavers to win the state championship in four years.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the things that coaches do "WE" all second guess if it doesn't work, but answer this for me. Was the coach the one that missed the free throws at the end of the game? No, I think it was you guys All State guard. The player that most seemed to think was the best in AA. If he makes those we might be talking about something different.

[ QUOTE ]

Some of the things that coaches do "WE" all second guess if it doesn't work, but answer this for me. Was the coach the one that missed the free throws at the end of the game? No, I think it was you guys All State guard. The player that most seemed to think was the best in AA. If he makes those we might be talking about something different.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the point is, the coach is the one who allowed the game to be where it was that the All-State guard was in a "no-miss" situation.

Had THE COACH used all the "tools" he had, the game would not have been in doubt and the player would not have been put in that position.

You don't plow fields with race horses and you don't take mules to the race track...

[ QUOTE ]

I have a coaching job thanks for asking. Two words "Spelling Class" lol as todays generation would put it. What are you 12 or something. As I said before, wait (B4), the kids will not be picking the new coach, if they don't want to play that is their choice. They can then spend their time misspeeling words on chat forums, just kidding (jk). I hope that all the kids who are talented enough to play do so and wish the Beavers the best of luck no matter who coaches them. Just consider 24-3, with a state runners up finish a great season. Coach Gaither won two titles while their, the only ones in school history unless I am mistaken, and you guys don't seem to want him back, so unless Jesus applies for the job I guess yall are going to be disappointed. Maybe Bobby Knight is available, oh buts the kids probably wouldn't play for him either.

[/ QUOTE ] so u must be one that put in for the job huh? ... and u might wanna talk to ansel bout that he told us regardless he might consentrate on working out for college football .. and a lil bird tells me that from the looks of things the princepal of BLuefield High will recommend Webster for the job

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the '92 team was one hell of a team that couldn't win at the AAA level due to Beckley. Now the first 2 years that you guys moved down you won it all and that was 10 years ago. Some of you need to realize that you are not going to win it year in and year out. Be glad that you have one of the best teams each year. It's not as if you have a history of winning BASKETBALL championships although 2 is more than some schools get in their history. It's great to have high expectations but some of you are taking it too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oldskool I agree completely, and I am a Bluefield fan. We are one of the more talented teams in the state year in and year out but to believe that they are a lock is ridiculous. While they are very talented, they are not blue chip players.

[/ QUOTE ]

we dont expect one every year, one out of four would have been great. Bluefield was the best team last year in the state and BY FAR the most athletic team we have seen in awhile and they lost to a slow unathletic team in the quarterfinals. Why? cause we didnt use our advantages. The coach let them dictate the tempo. we just want the coach to at least USE the talent we have. For example Gilliard sat out a first team all tournament player in 2006 for most of the third and all but 47 seconds of the fourth. With 47 seconds left what can he do? i understand sitting a guy down with 4 fouls ... but till 47 ticks left? thats stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the most athletic team doesn't always win in basketball. The best TEAM wins. Just like in 2005 when WVU beat Wake Forest, who was the most talented and athletiv team? But who had the most heart? Who cares how athletic the players are the important thing is whether or not they are good basketball players. How many of our guys are playing college basketball?? Also I have played against guys in pickup games who went to schools in WV who aren't considered "athletic" but they are damn good basketball players. So the point is it wasn't a lock for the Beavers to win the state championship in four years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well lets see here... We have 3 players playing college ball, Kyle hammond- Bridgewater, Chance cottrell Univ. of Northwest Ohio, and Dexter Moore - Hargrave. Thats 3 from last year. And who cares about athletic ability? Magnolia. They slowed down the tempo to take out our athletic ability. Not to mention they ran zone, in which gilliard has never figured out how to beat it yet. Then id like to say we had state championship LOCKED UP. Up late in the 4th by 8, we pulled the ball out and played 4 corners, instead of running, which gave us the lead. Next thing you know, Ravenswood fans are on the court. He constantly let teams back in it. Thats why he never met our expectations. remember beating pikeview (now thats a powerhouse) by 1 after being up by 17 in the fourth quarter? or what about beating James Monroe by 2 in sectionals.(we should have lost that game. Thanks Dexter!) Or maybe beating liberty raleigh barely? And dont say that maybe the other teams had more heart. I dont know a single soul who had more heart than rusty coeburn or dexter moore. They wanted that state championship. The thing is, everyone that is close to bluefield basketball and the players in the last 4 years will tell you that they should have won it all. Especially this year. If a team was better than us on a given night, then so be it. But when you never get a chance to win a game or showcse your ability, its really quite sad. And its not like we are mad that gilliard left for rival princeton, so now we talk crap. We have been saying this all along. You see the cupboard has always been full... the thing is, the trophy case isn't

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well lets see here... We have 3 players playing college ball, Kyle hammond- Bridgewater, Chance cottrell Univ. of Northwest Ohio, and Dexter Moore - Hargrave. Thats 3 from last year. And who cares about athletic ability? Magnolia. They slowed down the tempo to take out our athletic ability. Not to mention they ran zone, in which gilliard has never figured out how to beat it yet. Then id like to say we had state championship LOCKED UP. Up late in the 4th by 8, we pulled the ball out and played 4 corners, instead of running, which gave us the lead. Next thing you know, Ravenswood fans are on the court. He constantly let teams back in it. Thats why he never met our expectations. remember beating pikeview (now thats a powerhouse) by 1 after being up by 17 in the fourth quarter? or what about beating James Monroe by 2 in sectionals.(we should have lost that game. Thanks Dexter!) Or maybe beating liberty raleigh barely? And dont say that maybe the other teams had more heart. I dont know a single soul who had more heart than rusty coeburn or dexter moore. They wanted that state championship. The thing is, everyone that is close to bluefield basketball and the players in the last 4 years will tell you that they should have won it all. Especially this year. If a team was better than us on a given night, then so be it. But when you never get a chance to win a game or showcse your ability, its really quite sad. And its not like we are mad that gilliard left for rival princeton, so now we talk crap. We have been saying this all along. You see the cupboard has always been full... the thing is, the trophy case isn't

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you named three players in college. I appreciate that because the only one I knew was Dexter, however, you could go throughout the state of WV and find many players who are playing college ball at the level of Hammond and Cottrell. If we were Huntington with Patrick Patterson to Kentucky, OJ Mayo the #1 prospect in the nation to USC, and Chris Early who was going to go to Oklahoma then I would say that we would be a lock to win it all. Hell if we even had one of those guys I would say we would have been a lock. And we struggled against the zone because no one could hit the outside shots. Outside of Dexter Moore and Kyle Hammond who else were good shooters.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah i remember when Marrieotti and Patterson Wade and all those guys were seniors and he did that same 4 corners and ended up costing them the game against lincolin county

[/ QUOTE ]

And thats the same year they beat AAA champion woodrow. They were good. Oak hill was in the semifinals. AA was down we should have won.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Justin Harris was an excellent shooter as well. He might have more threes than hammond. you dont neccesarily beat the zone by shooting. if you move the ball by passing you can easily break down a zone. Easily.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Justin Harris was an excellent shooter as well. He might have more threes than hammond. you dont neccesarily beat the zone by shooting. if you move the ball by passing you can easily break down a zone. Easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I know what you mean. It was a few years ago when we played Princeton that someone said we weren't "attacking" their zone properly when in reality we were. He had the big man up at the foul line and the ball was being passed in the middle to him like its supposed to. However the shots from outside weren't falling and event he midrange shots weren't going in. Look I'm not saying Gilliard was Red Auerbach but all in all he wasn't horrible. With some of the names that are surfacing as the new head coach I think we have more more to fear. Especially if Princeton ends up beating us.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

i dont know. i think its time for a new coach, and hopefully he can easily see that these bluefield squads need to run. Sometimes Gilliard forgot that. I dont think he really benefitted the team that much. He never really worked the refs or came up with any gameplans, especially second half. I think he just sat back and watched IMO.so even if the new coach helps just a little, ill be satisfied. And Malamacchi, Webster, and maybe even havens (with the right ppl under him) will all help i think. But i really would love to gaither back, regardless of what people say about him like with past players telling the players now stories. thats a bunch of bull. Players will play unless they just dont want to. From being a student at BHS the last 4 years, i can tell the students really like him. I think it would be good for BHS. But hey, im living on a prayer here thinking he might apply...lol

sorry pal if mal---- gets the job imo worst thing that could happen! Have you seen the girls play! No discipline what so ever.What could webster have done with the girls? I think webster has earned a shot. If he doesn't get it maybe he should move on.Hey how about pikeview we always have trouble with them.What a slap in the face -webster to pikeview pikeview to state! Webster has proven himself, the others mentioned i don't know.

LOL. I guess that no coach out there but Webster knows anything. Bluefield's girls have never won anything to speak of. They have had several girls go on to play college basketball in the past, but had very little success in high school. Coach Mal has had some outstanding seasons. Do we forget that he gave eventual state champion Summers County all they wanted in the sectional this year. Oh I know you guys had more talent the coach lost it for ya. How has Webster proved himself. What has he won. AAU dont count. Please post his resume for me. You say going from girls to boys or Class A to AA is a big jump, what do you think going from AAU to High School is. I would love to see Webster win 5 games a year at Pikeview. Some people might then realize the truth.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

sorry pal if mal---- gets the job imo worst thing that could happen! Have you seen the girls play! No discipline what so ever.What could webster have done with the girls? I think webster has earned a shot. If he doesn't get it maybe he should move on.Hey how about pikeview we always have trouble with them.What a slap in the face -webster to pikeview pikeview to state! Webster has proven himself, the others mentioned i don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea how webster has proven himself. i really want to know how you came to that conclusion. and as for malamacchi, didnt he take a iaeger team to states?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no idea how webster has proven himself. i really want to know how you came to that conclusion. and as for malamacchi, didnt he take a iaeger team to states?

[/ QUOTE ]

trust me he has

Guest BEAVERTAIL

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

trust me he has

[/ QUOTE ]

examples?

in defense of malimacchi, with girls teams, i think discipline doesnt exist. its all drama esp in high school. unless you are summers county's coach. (his name slips my mind right now)

tony webster is who i want for the job, dont get me wrong. but i dont see how he has proven himself just yet. does he deserve a chance to prove himself? Yes. will it happen? probably not a bluefield high school unfortunately...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

and lets not forget Dale Lee... I hate to say it but if he gets it id want Gilliard back. And i bet a lot of players wont play. Anyone but dale lee mercer school board, anyone please!