Bluefield's head coach

FOOTBALLMAN

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

No. A GOOD leader would trust the advice given to them by the people under them, or at least take it into consideration...Akers did neither...she wanted Havens to get the job so he got it...

[/ QUOTE ]

The hiring is total BS. They are denying opportunites to great people in this area just because they dont have an education degree?? The position is Head COACH for BHS not english teacher at BHS. What about students who want to major in Athletic Coaching...do they have to go to grad school for education just to be a candidate for any position around here? The same goes with being an athletic director. Akers has screwed Bluefield over in more than one way. I could be wrong but I would say that out of all the Mercer County schools that Bluefield basketball brings in the most revenue but we still have to play in an outdated gym while everyone else has nice places.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right. Bluefield gets shafted on just about every end of any deal that runs through Princeton.

Basketball is a great example. Bluefield is the only team in the county that competes at the state tournament regularly. Their gym had a leak in the ceiling a year or two ago, and all they did was patch it. The EXACT same thing happened to Princeton's gym and they get a brand new floor.

If it weren't for June Shott then Princeton would be the only school in the county with brand new turf on their football field.

EXACTLY. And why would princeton need turf. If they make the freaking playoffs they get their picture on the wall forever. HAHA.

Heres food for thought. THere is an attorney on the school board that is also very good friends with havens. Chew on that one a bit.

LMAO. The Akers clan.....is well awful. Anyway, There is a hiring process. School employees get preference over a job than a non-employee. That is life. If someone wants to be a coach, tell them to get a degree in education or go get an athletic coaching education or get on staff of a small college and learn from those who are qualified. They are not just going to give a job to someone who was an assistant at the school. Success is great and i love high school sports, but you all are nuts to think hiring someone who has over 20 years experience coaching as a head coach is crazy. You want to give to someone who isn't the head coach for anyone.......Wake up folks every school system has it's politics. Plus it does help who you know. Your background comes into play and so forth. Tell him that the Montcalm job is open if he wants to apply, if noone employed by the school takes it, it's his.

[ QUOTE ]

Mercer County schools pays in excess of $30000 a year so Bluefield can play at Mitchell Stadium, I wonder how much they give Montcalm and Pikeview a year for their football programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and how much do you think the BOE has paid to BUILD the stadium in Princeton? Wonder how much they have to pay to maintain the stadium in Princeton? Let me give you a hint about something....whine all you like, but the BOE could pay $30,000 per year from here to eternity, and not ever reach the amount that has been spent to build and maintain Hunnicut Stadium. Seriously..how stupid of an argument is THAT?

I'm surely not going to defend what the BOE has or has not spent on the smaller schools in the county. I have no clue about...but I will take on your comment about how much they spend to rent Mitchell Stadium. They get a bargain there, and there is no way, at all, they could even pay the interest on the amount needed to build a stadium with that $30,000 per year.

[ QUOTE ]

LMAO. The Akers clan.....is well awful. Anyway, There is a hiring process. School employees get preference over a job than a non-employee. That is life. If someone wants to be a coach, tell them to get a degree in education or go get an athletic coaching education or get on staff of a small college and learn from those who are qualified. They are not just going to give a job to someone who was an assistant at the school. Success is great and i love high school sports, but you all are nuts to think hiring someone who has over 20 years experience coaching as a head coach is crazy. You want to give to someone who isn't the head coach for anyone.......Wake up folks every school system has it's politics. Plus it does help who you know. Your background comes into play and so forth. Tell him that the Montcalm job is open if he wants to apply, if noone employed by the school takes it, it's his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically speaking then (and I also hear it's in the handbook) is Webster not currently coaching football for mercer county schools? Well then by definition he is technically an employee of the county.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL, SOME PEOPLE WILL DO OR SAY ANYTHING TO TRY TO MAKE WHAT THEY WANT A REALITY. COACHING HAS AN EXTRA DUTY CONTRACT. IT IS NOT A PROFESSIONAL TEACHING CONTRACT WHICH THEY GIVE PREFERENCE TO BECAUSE TEACHERS MAKE VERY LITTLE MONEY TO BEGIN WITH. THEY SHOULD HAVE PREFERENCE OVER ANY OUTSIDE POSSIBILITY. IF IT IS A PRIVATE SCHOOL, COLLEGE, OR UNIVERSITY THEN IT'S O.K.