wave_20

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

who did well for the G-Men?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, if Graham blew a 20+ point lead in the fourth quarter...the coach didn't...

IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE IN THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM AT GRAHAM HIGH SCHOOL...

[ QUOTE ]

Graham lost after having a 20 something point lead in the 4th. An it wasn't because Grundy was that good (other than #10 & 20 who made everything that they threw up) after playing some team ball they went back to the same me ball crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

well teddy..#10 is a baller he put up 39 on richlands..lol and we still won tonite after i hear playing the worst game of theyear..

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Graham lost after having a 20 something point lead in the 4th. An it wasn't because Grundy was that good (other than #10 & 20 who made everything that they threw up) after playing some team ball they went back to the same me ball crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

well teddy..#10 is a baller he put up 39 on richlands..lol and we still won tonite after i hear playing the worst game of theyear..

[/ QUOTE ]

If Grundy scored 44 in the 4th, they didn't have their worst game of the year...maybe worst three quarters of the year but not the worst game of the year.

If they had had their worst game of the year, then Graham would have won by a substantial margin...

Graham were running a fastbreak offense with a 20 point lead and 5 mins to go. Down the court no passing,shoot miss Grundy rebound and drive down the floor and score. And over and over it happened.

Didn't anybody tell Coach C THERE IS NO SHOT CLOCK IN HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL???

You almost have to try to blow that big of a lead in one quarter in high school to lose a game like that...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If Grundy scored 44 in the 4th, they didn't have their worst game of the year...maybe worst three quarters of the year but not the worst game of the year.

If they had had their worst game of the year, then Graham would have won by a substantial margin...

[/ QUOTE ]

well yeah thast what i ment lol..3 quarters..

Went to the game tonite. Like the Caroll County game, expecting a blow out. Grundy was ice cold for three quarters. As earlier stated, it was 50-33 Graham at the end of the third quarter. Grundy wins 77-75. Scores 44 in the fourth. If Grundy plays decent the whole game, they win by 20-30 points. Should have never lost the game. It was 75-75 with 8 seconds to go, Graham ball. They call timeout. Problem was, they had no timeouts left. Grundy shoots two free throws and gets possession. Game over, Graham gets a poor attempt off. Hats off to Grundy for never giving up. Exciting game.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, if Graham blew a 20+ point lead in the fourth quarter...the coach didn't...

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say theres alotta people that agree with that.

As much as Graham may need a new coach, he wasnt out there missing layups down the stretch and throwing the ball away the entire 4th quarter. Graham's players should show some maturity and take care of the basketball.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that i just wanna know who did well

but that is poor coaching...when you have that big of a lead...do what Graham did to Grundy when Ahmad was a senior...HOLD THE DAMN BALL!!! i remember Jake Remines held the ball THE WHOLE FORTH QUARTER because Graham was winnin by about 30...some of the players on both Graham and Grundy just sat down or crouched down....Ahmad was sittin there talkin to the ref and a player from Grundy laughin and havin a good team and Jeremy Jones for Graham was sitting down in the corner talking to our student section..its not that hard...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say theres alotta people that agree with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot more think it than actually say it...don't want to cause "problems" because of the name...

[ QUOTE ]

but that is poor coaching...when you have that big of a lead...do what Graham did to Grundy when Ahmad was a senior...HOLD THE DAMN BALL!!! i remember Jake Remines held the ball THE WHOLE FORTH QUARTER because Graham was winnin by about 30...some of the players on both Graham and Grundy just sat down or crouched down....Ahmad was sittin there talkin to the ref and a player from Grundy laughin and havin a good team and Jeremy Jones for Graham was sitting down in the corner talking to our student section..its not that hard...

[/ QUOTE ]

That is also a good way to keep from getting beat by 57 points...

You asked for it...

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_026002330.html?keyword=secondarystory

Wave rides 44 in 4th for win

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD, Va. — Through three quarters, Grundy had scored 33 points and trailed the Graham G-Men by 17.

In the fourth quarter, the Golden Wave scored an NBA-like 44 points, including two free throws in the final eight seconds to escape with an improbable 77-75 Southwest District win over Graham on Friday night at Graham Middle School.

Cody Billiter and D.J. Gelenster scored 12 points apiece in the fourth quarter and Bobby Peck added 11 — including the go-ahead technical free throw with 8.3 seconds left to enable the Golden Wave (10-6, 4-2) to remain near the top of the SWD standings.

“That is probably the greatest comeback that I have ever been a part of, at least in terms of point deficit and the shortest period of time to make it up,” Grundy head coach Greg Rife said. “It was a great win, it gave us still hope for the chance to finish in the No. 1 spot.”

It was all Graham for most of the game, as the G-Men (4-10, 1-5) built a 47-24 with 2:47 left in the third quarter before settling for the 50-33 lead with a period to go.

“Once we got over 20, it was going to be a rough hill to climb, but we worked good as team in the fourth quarter,” Billiter said. “We put the press on them and it just worked out for us tonight, God willing.

“It was just a good win for us tonight. I think that is what champions are made of and hopefully we can just keep it going.”

Graham, which received 24 points from J.K. Goins and 14 apiece from J.D. Hunter and A.J. Jeffers, made just 8-of-27 free throws, and also struggled with turnovers, especially in the final period.

“Free throws and panic, that’s all I’ve got to say, it’s kind of tough to take right now,” Graham head coach Glynn Carlock said. “Free throws and we just panic when things get tough.

“When we respond from that and we hit our free throws, we may have a chance to win a game.”

For three quarters, Graham pushed the tempo, hit numerous layups and built what appeared to be a comfortable lead.

“You fly high through three quarters, but the thing about it was, I think our players felt like they had it won and this game is a four-quarter game,” Carlock said. “If you take a break, a well-coached, good disciplined team will take advantage of it and they did.”

That’s when the Golden Wave found something, although Rife wasn’t really sure where the comeback came from.

“They got an excess of energy tonight, I’m not sure where it came from, but I was real pleased with my boys effort,” Rife said. “We could have played a little smarter during the game.

“We made some mistakes that could have cost the game, but fortunately we were blessed to be able to come back and hit some big shots when it counted and come out on top.”

Graham, which also received 10 points from Jason Palmer, still led by 70-58 with 3:02 left, but a 7-0 run, sparked by a Peck 3 and a two baskets by Gelenster cut the deficit to six.

Down the stretch, the ‘Wave hit 8-of-12 free throws, including 6-of-8 from Gelenster. That sixth charity shot tied the score at 71-71, the first tie in the game, with 30.9 seconds left, but Goins hit two of his own to take the lead back.

A Shawn Moore layup tied back up at 73-73, and a Gelenster steal set up Moore for another basket and the Wave’s first lead since it was 2-0. However, Moore was called for a technical and Hunter hit both free throws to tie the score at 75-75.

With the technical, Graham got the ball, but couldn’t get it in and Goins called a timeout that the G-Men didn’t have.

“We wanted to deny the ball...,” Billiter said. “Thank God we got to the ball and they called a timeout they didn’t have. It was just a good game, one of the best games I’ve been a part of.”

Peck, who led Grundy with 22 points, hit 1-of-2 technical shots, and Billiter was fouled and hit 1-of-2 of his own with 5.7 seconds left for a two-point lead. Billiter finished with 18 points, while Gelenster canned 15 and Derek Hess added 10.

“Effort just told the story tonight, we never gave up, never quit,” Rife said. “When you have a team like that with a little bit of ability, sometimes if you stay after it you will be rewarded in the end and our team was rewarded in the end tonight.”

Graham’s Hunter brought the ball down and tried a contested 3 that fell short of the rim, allowing Grundy to escape with the improbable win, outscoring the G-Men 44-25 in the final period.

“That’s pretty bad defense and give credit to them for pushing the ball and scoring that many points,” Carlock said. “That’s atricious defense, all I’ve go to say is they evidently stayed in it and they wanted it more than we did.”

Graham will seek retribution next Thursday by traveling to Grundy, while the Golden Wave must first play Tazewell on Tuesday, a team that upset them earlier this season.

Rife wasn’t thinking that far ahead just yet. He was, admittedly, still a little surprised at the outcome.

“It’s a tough game for coach Carlock,” Rife said. “They really should have won the ball game.”

Note: In the junior varsity game, Graham (9-7, 4-2) received 11 points apiece from Aaron Davidson and Torren Byrd to defeat the Golden Wave 37-29. Grundy was led by John Kelly, who also had 11 points.

at Graham Middle School

GRUNDY (10-6, 4-2)

Cody Billiter 7 4-7 18, Bobby Peck 7 5-8 22, Derek Hess 4 1-2 10, Joseph Stephens 2 0-2 4, Shawn Moore 3 0-2 6, Cody Justus 1 0-0 2, D.J. Gelenster 3 9-12 15, L.C. Mutter 0 0-0 0, Seth Lowe 0 0-0 0, Matthew Irick 0 0-0 0, Josh Looney 0 0-2 0. Totals 27 19-35 35 77.

GRAHAM (4-10, 1-5)

Scott Brewster 2 0-2 5, J.K. Goins 10 4-6 24, J.D. Hunter 5 3-6 14, A.J. Jeffers 7 0-0 14, Jason Palmer 5 0-7 10, Jordan Bryan 2 1-6 6, Sam Dennah 0 0-0 0, Cole Sarver 0 0-0 0, Alex Marrs 1 0-0 2, David Marrs 0 0-0 0, T.J. Lowery 0 0-0 0, Ryan Woodson 0 0-0 0. Totals 32 8-27 75.

Grundy........................11 12 10 44 — 77

Graham.......................13 .15 22 25 — 75

3-point goals: GD 4 (Peck 3, Hess 1); GH 3 (Bryan 1, Hunter 1, Brewster 1). Total fouls: GD 22; GH 22. Fouled out: Stephens. Technicals: Peck, Moore, Graham bench. JV—GH 37-29.

[ QUOTE ]

“Free throws and panic, that’s all I’ve got to say, it’s kind of tough to take right now,” Graham head coach Glynn Carlock said. “Free throws and we just panic when things get tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope Coach Carlock was including himself when he said "we just panic when things get tough"...

[ QUOTE ]

“You fly high through three quarters, but the thing about it was, I think our players felt like they had it won and this game is a four-quarter game,” Carlock said. “If you take a break, a well-coached, good disciplined team will take advantage of it and they did.”

[/ QUOTE ]

A well-coached, disciplined team would not have blown a 20+ plus lead to lose that game either. Even a half way decently coached team could have won that game.

A poorly coached team loses by 57 points and blows 20+ point leads in the final quarter.

Proof is in the pudding...

I understand what you are saying GMan but no coach goes 8-27 from the free throw line and no coach throws the ball away as many times as Graham did last night. You have to put some responsibility on the kids to get the job done on the court and Graham's players simply could not do it in the 4th quarter last night. Sometimes you just have to sit back and realize that maybe the team just isnt really that good. When your players perform like they did in the 4th last night for Graham, it is going to make any coach look bad but he couldnt go out and shoot it for them.

[ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are saying GMan but no coach goes 8-27 from the free throw line and no coach throws the ball away as many times as Graham did last night. You have to put some responsibility on the kids to get the job done on the court and Graham's players simply could not do it in the 4th quarter last night. Sometimes you just have to sit back and realize that maybe the team just isnt really that good. When your players perform like they did in the 4th last night for Graham, it is going to make any coach look bad but he couldnt go out and shoot it for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you put the responsibility on the coach for not preparing the kids for when they are in that situation.

And you are correct, this team isn't that good.

BUT, let's look at this logically. Grundy scored 44 points in 8 minutes...that's more than an average of 5 points per minute...that's more than a made two-pointer and a made three-pointer every minute by Grundy. A team would almost have to try to give up that many points in eight minutes. Call me crazy but I don't see how its possible for any team to give up that many points in one eight-minute quarter.

As a matter of fact, I don't ever recall seeing or hearing of a high school team score 44 points in one quarter, even in the worst blowouts. A team has to absolutely lay down (read 'quit') to give up that many points in eight minutes. And yes, a little bit of coaching could have prevented this from happening.

I don't know, maybe this team has quit. Maybe the Coach has given up on the team. But I do know, things need to change at on the basketball court at Graham...

Now I wasnt at the game but I have seen Graham play earlier this season and I'll tell you that their players arent that good. They have the one good talent in #32 and thats pretty much it. BUT, coaching is terrible for them. HE doesnt have his players disciplined enough to hold a lead like that. I was at the Bluefield/Princeton game and I know that the beavers almost blew a 12 point lead with less than 2 minutes left but at least we still hung on and won. When you blow a 20 point lead in one quarter and let another team score 44 point in that lone period, thats just pathetic on the coaches and players part.

There are a lot of people on here that think replacing a coach is real easy. I know he hasn't done the things that we feel a good coach does but sometimes you have to put something on the players too. Do you all have any "good" coaches in mind? All I keep seeing on here is we need to get rid of him. Go get you a degree and apply for the job.

I agree. Coach Carlock may not have done EVERYTHING he could but I disagree with all the blame going to the coach. Some yes. Not all.

A coach can prepare you for a situation as much as possible but not everybody is going to be able to take that preparation to the court. There comes a time when kids have to responsible for throwing the ball away and missing FREE shots. Parents and fans cant always throw the blame elsewhere.

The coach is responsible for getting that team prepared and ready to play the game but it is up to the players to execute a game plan and take care of the balland make foul shots. A coach cant do that nor will a coach ever be able to do that.