Grundy @ Graham

wave_20

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played for him for two years and I'll be the first to tell you he isn't a basketball coach. He's a good guy and I liked him, but not as a basketball coach. All of his plays are either Carolina plays or plays from Coach Jones. He doesn't mold anything to his players or their skill level. He doesn't know when to substitute. He plays obvious favorites. He doesn't know when to call timeouts. He gets upset about stupid stuff. I'm worried about his health. A few years back he had to take a leave of absence because of a heart condition. What is this year doing to his heart?

Im no doubting the Graham faithful who say he is a bad coach. You guys see him a lot more than I do throughout the year and you guys that have played for him know what goes on behind the scenes. All im saying is that regardless of what the coach does, the players have to control the ball and put the ball in the bucket. If they arent capable of doing that then there really isnt a lot that a coach can do.

Bob Knight could have been on the bench last night and if Graham's players passed the ball the way they did and missed their foul shots the way they did they would have still lost.

You have to use what the moms and dads send you to use. If they send you $hit, you play like $hit. Face the fact, Graham is not very good. And for what you use to do with Bradshaw and Remines, you do not have anyone near that good. Get real, it would not matter who the coach was, if you can not hit free throws, you are going to get a loss. It is not the coach, from what I have seen, he is one of the better in the southwest part of Virginia. Coach bashing is not the way to hide the fact that they are not very good to begin with. Get behind the program instead of passing the blame. As been said on here many times by the G-man, no one is going to get out of the regions from the swd. I agree, and no coach is going to make the difference.

you dont realize what we do up here in Bluefield....and it has nothing to do with the talent level on the floor when it comes to holding the ball....quick question...what defense was Grundy using in the 4th...were they puttin on pressure or sitting back?

I go to Bluefield and I can tell you that Graham's really isnt anything to be happy about. Granted Graham doesnt have much talent to work with but still it seems like he has no clue what he is doing. In the most recent BHS/GHS game he was running their biggest guy as the point guard and putting their best player, #32, against Shaun Brooks and Ansel Ponder. Seeing as you are in Grundy you might not know who those people are. Well #32 for Graham is maybe 5'10 and Shaun Brooks is 6'2 190 and Ansel is 6'3 185 and both are incredibly strong for their size. Graham was using their biggest man at point guard matched up against Bluefield's very fast point guard in Craig Ponder, who stands a hair over 5'11. That is not smart coaching.

Quick answer, I do know what goes on from Bluefield, I am from there. Second, you hold the ball, you get fouled. You get fouled, you can not make a free throw. Case in point, do what got you to the fourth quarter.

Oh well I guess Carlock will have them practicing in their BVDS this week. As he took their practice jerseys from them last week, and maybe he can have them dress in the hallway as he took their names off the lockers last week as well.

honestly, it doesnt matter what kind of defense grundy was playing in the fourth quarter. Graham blew a HUGE lead in one quarter. the real question should be what defense was Graham playing that allowed Grundy to score 44 points in the last period of the game.

Todays kids have to want to play defense. Their name does not get in the headlines, like it does when you score 20 points. It has become a game of individuals, kind of like watching the NBA, all show no defense.

i'll agree with you about the NBA. scoring titles really shouldnt even be given anymore. the real title should be laziest defense, the only problem being it would go to every team, especially in the western conference.

coaches have to teach defense. when gilliard was at Bluefield, he taught defense and taught it well. The only fault with him is that he would try to change things at the worst of all times(state championships, rivalry games, the likes). Bluefield has been known for its pressure defense, not it's crazy ammount of scoring. In recent years weve held many teams known for high point totals to the 40-55 range. Great defense starts with a coach who knows what he's doing.

Kids have to buy into it. Bluefield's second five could win the swd. It would not matter what defense the teams used or if the kids buy in to it, if you do not have athletes that can play, you are not going to win.

10 for Grundy plays well. He gets lots of points as a quick release on defense, snow bird type play. He walks lots in the middle, play Grundy a zone and stop the running in the middle and they are beat. Give them credit tonight, what a come back.

Graham COULD have held the ball. When the players on Graham's team throw the ball to the other team it isnt the coach. Coach Carlock didnt go out there and take the ball and throw it to the other team. Coach Carlock didnt go out there and shoot their free throws for them. The KIDS have to take care of those things and they didnt and it seems that they havent been all year.