Hokies name Glennon as starter; to redshirt Taylor

GMan

Glennon tabbed starting quarterback for Virginia Tech

Coaches plan to redshirt Taylor

August 26, 2008

BLACKSBURG - Virginia Tech head football coach Frank Beamer announced Tuesday that redshirt senior Sean Glennon has been named the starting quarterback for the 2008 season. He also announced the Hokies plan to redshirt sophomore quarterback Tyrod Taylor. Taylor, who played last season as a true freshman, will dress and travel with the team.

Redshirt senior Cory Holt will serve as the No. 2 quarterback.

"This is what we think is in our best interest for the long term," Beamer said. "Tyrod would benefit from another year of learning and this is our plan for now."

Virginia Tech opens its season this Saturday, taking on East Carolina University at Charlotte's Bank of America Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon.

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20080826aaa.html

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Ill take them... Glennon outshined Taylor in almost every aspect last year, people forget that.

Glennon completed over 60% of his passes, had over a 2:1 Td to INT ratio, had a 9 game stretch in which he did not throw an INT, and was the ACC champion.

Glennon has better stats in all passing statistics than Taylor, but taylor does have the option to run, but Sean has showed us he isnt exactly slow either...

Guest BEAVERTAIL

The last games of the season before the Orange bowl the offense wasnt so stagnant... The key to an offense is the offensive line, and we lacked strength in that till later in the season... I think Frank knows what he is doing with this move...

No experienced receivers, little experienced RBs, and now a non-mobile QB? And you thought last year's offense was ugly....

And to top it all, we still have Stiney running the O...

The last games of the season before the Orange bowl the offense wasnt so stagnant... The key to an offense is the offensive line, and we lacked strength in that till later in the season... I think Frank knows what he is doing with this move...

Setting the table for a great run in '09, '10, and '11...

Setting the table for a great run in '09, '10, and '11...

No one is guaranteed anything in the future, you play for the here and now. One thing is certain, this will divide the Tech fanbase like never before and if things don't well the "in-fighting" will be quite ugly. I'm willing let the situation play out, but I don't have a very good feeling about it. I feel even more confident in saying that the Tar Heels will knock off Tech in Chapel Hill.

Does this alter Kevin Newsome fitting VT in his plans? Read on one of the message boards, if Tyrod wasn't redshirted that might be a factor in Newsome selecting Tech, knowing he would be on the field quicker as qb.

August 26, 2008

Hokiehaven.com Staff

HokieHaven.com Staff

Talk about it in The Gobbler

Quarterback Sean Glennon officially got word he received the starting job on Monday as sophomore Tyrod Taylor has elected to redshirt. Glennon met with the media in a press conference this afternoon to discuss his thoughts on landing the top spot.

Glennon wants to elevate his game as the starter this fall.

"I was a little surprised," he said. "I had been splitting reps all camp with Tyrod. The coaches never had any talks with us about what was on their mind. All I could go off of was splitting reps.

"I knew redshirting was always an option, but until they officially told me I had no strong hints towards that."

The redshirt senior is looking forward to the opportunity.

"I'm excited about leading this team," he said. "You know I felt I'd be out there in one form or another. Now knowing I'll take every snap my senior season, I'm very excited about being the guy. Now it's about me taking care of business."

It's been a long road for Glennon. How big is this opportunity?

"It has been a roller coaster," he said. "I've experienced a lot these past few years. Some games I've played well, some games not as well. I've been demoted, promoted and I entered my redshirt senior year still not told if I've got the job locked down.

"I'm glad all of this has happened. It made me work harder and was a good chapter in my life. It proved to me as a person and player. This has been my goal all along to be the guy that takes every snap. I'm grateful for the opportunity and want to make the most of it my last year here."

Of course, Glennon was a piece of that ACC championship team last season. How does he want to build on that?

"Last year I proved I could play well at this level and lead this team," he stated. "Now I'm leading a different kind of team. Last year everyone had experience like me, this year I'm a lot more experienced than 90% of the guys playing. It's a different role and I want to help the guys around me get better and grow up. It's a new challenge and I'd like to take it one step further."

He'll be working with an entirely new set of receivers this fall and gave his thoughts on them.

"Danny Coale and Ike Whitaker are the only guys considered veterans, it's funny since Danny is a redshirt freshman and Ike is a former quarterback.

"The rest of the guys are true freshmen and have had their growing pains. They are talented and in time they will be great players. Right now it's all about how quickly they catch up mentally. They are making strides. They aren't quite where we need them at, but soon enough they'll be a very good group."

Has Glennon talked to Taylor yet about the decision?

"Since I found out yesterday, I haven't sit down and had a conversation with Tyrod," he said. "If he didn't like the decision, he didn't show it to me. He may be treating it as it's the best thing for his future.

"I understand it stinks now not playing this year. I'm sure in three years when I give him a call. He'll agree that this was a good decision. He'll have three years being the man and building a legacy around that."

With Taylor redshirting, few know anything about the current backup, Cory Holt.

"I've very close with Cory," he said. "We came in together and have been battling and in the same meeting rooms for a long time. I know Cory inside and out. He never really got the opportunity that he desired, but he is our backup quarterback as a fifth year senior. My hat is off to Cory. He has worked hard even when things haven't come his way. Fans shouldn't be worried. He has had five years worth of scrimmages and practices. He knows how to throw the football very well."

In his final year in Blacksburg, what does Glennon want to improve on?

"I don't know if I can pinpoint one thing," he said. "I want to raise every part of my game to the next level and be more accurate, move more around the pocket and work on my feet and quickness. I'm trying to take every part of my game and elevate it one level."

Finally, Glennon gave his take on heading to Charlotte and facing East Carolina.

"It's going to be fun in Charlotte," he said. "I always love playing in pro stadiums and places I've never been before. I'm looking forward to it.

"We are not overlooking ECU at all. We are treating this like any ACC game. They've got a great defense and gave us all we could handle last year. We need to run the ball better and throw better. They are an experienced group and we can't take them lightly. We are prepared to be in a battle."

Does this alter Kevin Newsome fitting VT in his plans? Read on one of the message boards, if Tyrod wasn't redshirted that might be a factor in Newsome selecting Tech, knowing he would be on the field quicker as qb.

Word I heard is Newsome will end up at UNC...

No one is guaranteed anything in the future, you play for the here and now. One thing is certain, this will divide the Tech fanbase like never before and if things don't well the "in-fighting" will be quite ugly. I'm willing let the situation play out, but I don't have a very good feeling about it. I feel even more confident in saying that the Tar Heels will knock off Tech in Chapel Hill.

True, no one is guaranteed anything but there is no "here and now" for VT this season. The coaches realized that and have opted to build/plan for the future as well as giving Glennon the shot he deserves as at 5th year senior QB. But as Beamer said, if Glennon goes down early, the shirt will come off...

Word I heard is Newsome will end up at UNC...

That wouldn't be a bad decision. If Newsome is as good as the hype he could potentially do for Carolina what Mike Vick and Major Harris did for VT and WVU. Besides, Carolina has a good offensive coordinator with a playbook consisting of more than 3 plays.

why can't they do what every team (who can do it that is) is doing, use both QB's. Florida did it, LSU did it, Ohio State is probably gonna do it this year. it makes sense and gives the defense a different look and it puts fresh fast legs on a tired defense later in the game. Stinespring needs to get with the program here

vastly overrated. There is a reason he dropped significantly in the eyes of the recruiting services. He stunk it up at the camps. However, he is a very good athlete and will certainly be a big get for somebody...if he eventually gets it in his head he's not major D-1 material. A whip type LB or FS would fit him perfectly. Right now, it's down to VT, UNC, and probably BC.

vastly overrated. There is a reason he dropped significantly in the eyes of the recruiting services. He stunk it up at the camps. However, he is a very good athlete and will certainly be a big get for somebody...if he eventually gets it in his head he's not major D-1 material. A whip type LB or FS would fit him perfectly. Right now, it's down to VT, UNC, and probably BC.

Where did BC come from? My understanding is that the "Big 3" are VT, UNC, and Penn State.

Tyrod talks about his new shirt ...

Aug 08

7:44 PMYou got Sean Glennon’s reaction to earning the starting job, so now it’s time for Tyrod Taylor’s side of the story. Along with a little analysis from QB coach Mike O’Cain at the end.

One thing I should point out here: It’s not completely fair to say Glennon WON the job from Taylor. Both players were capable of starting this season and, I think, if Taylor had decided not to redshirt, both quarterbacks would’ve played again this season.

Why do I think that? Because I’ve seen them both play and there’s not much separation. You’ve seen it, too, if you’ve watched them. The coaches have said as much.

But I also think both would’ve played because of what you’ll read below. Tyrod and his dad, Rodney, both seem certain that if he’d chosen to play this season, Taylor would’ve been on the field a fair amount.

The elder Taylor preferred to stay (mostly) out of this situation, but he did want me to pass the following statement on to Hokie Nation …

RODNEY TAYLOR, TYROD’S FATHER

ON HIS SON TAKING A REDSHIRT SEASON THIS FALL: “It was a Taylor family decision. If he didn’t start, he would redshirt. We decided that as a family after spring ball. He was preparing to start, and he did everything he was supposed to do. In a perfect world, Tech’s coaches wanted both to play. They would’ve played whoever was hot. You could’ve seen one start one game and the other start the next game. But from where we sit, that part is old for us. Sean is a fifth-year guy. His clock is now. Tyrod is mature enough to see that. Last year, he did something for the team. He took the shirt off for the team. Doing this now, though, no question it’ll only make him better.â€

QB TYROD TAYLOR

ON THE DECISION TO REDSHIRT: “It was hard at first, but at the same time it was for the best.â€

ON ALWAYS WANTING TO REDSHIRT: “Yes. I was thinking last year, along with the coaching staff. But things changed. I got a chance to play early, didn’t turn that down. I’m taking my redshirt year now.â€

ON HOW MUCH HE TALKED TO HIS FATHER ABOUT THE DECISION: “Me, my dad and my mom talked a long time about this. He backed me just like my mother, 100 percent.â€

ON WHETHER, IF HE HAD DECIDED NOT TO REDSHIRT, HE THINKS HE AND GLENNON WOULD’VE ROTATED AGAIN: “Yes, sir.â€

ON WHETHER HE DIDN’T WANT TO SHARE SNAPS AGAIN: “Both quarterbacks, me and Sean, wanted one quarterback on the field. Things didn’t turn out the way I’d like it. He got a chance to go out and makes some plays, so he should do good back there this year.â€

ON WHAT HE WANTS TO LEARN AND IMPROVE ON DURING THE REDSHIRT YEAR: “Everything in my game. I’ve improved a lot since Day 1. I think I just need to continue to improve on making reads and getting the ball out faster.â€

ON WHETHER ALL THE YOUNG TALENT IN THE PROGRAM WAS A FACTOR IN REDSHIRTING THIS YEAR: “Yes, I know they’re going to come back with a lot more experience next year and the team’s going to be better. That gives me a chance to go out there and show my talent.â€

ON WHAT HE SAID WHEN O’CAIN SAID HE’D REDSHIRT: “I’d already thought about it. I still had to think about it then, but I went on with it. We talked in the meeting. My dad was in the meeting, too. We discussed it and talked about the pros and cons about it and went with the redshirt.â€

ON HIS MINDSET EARLY IN THE SEASON, IN CASE GLENNON GOES DOWN: “The same way I approached preseason camp: just go out there and stay sharp, stay ready. You never know what can happen. My number could get called at any time. The reps I get, whether it’s two reps, three reps, 15 reps, just go out there and make the best of those reps.â€

ON WHETHER THERE’S A CUT-OFF POINT, WHERE HE WOULD NOT WANT TO PLAY EVEN IF GLENNON GOT HURT: “Coach (O’Cain) talked about that in the meeting and we said no later than game four or five, because after that you’d just be playing half a season, basically.â€

ON PLANNING, WITH THIS REDSHIRT YEAR, TO STAY FOR HIS THREE YEARS OF ELIGIBILITY TO FOLLOW: “Yes, I plan on staying. I don’t look into the future. I plan on staying here and taking each year as it goes.â€

QB COACH MIKE O’CAIN

ON WHETHER TAYLOR’S REDSHIRT WAS MORE A COACHING DECISION OR A TAYLOR DECISION: “I think it was a combination. We felt like if it’s something we can get done – it’s still not written in stone, but something we’re going to try very hard to get done – and he was good with it … we felt like it could work.â€

ON WHETHER TAYLOR WOULD’VE SHARED TIME WITH GLENNON IF HE HAD DECIDED NOT TO REDSHIRT: “It’s hard to answer that. It’s hypothetical. I really don’t know how to answer it.â€

ON THE BATTLE BETWEEN THE TWO QBs: “Oh, it was very close. But you’ve got one that’s a senior, been here five years. You’ve got one that you can redshirt, that for the good of the program down the road, it’s the best for him, the best for the program. Because they were so close, you feel good about Sean. It makes the decision much easier.â€

ON HOW LONG HE THINKS UNTIL CORY HOLT IS A VIABLE REPLACEMENT IF GLENNON GOES DOWN: “It’s hard to say. But I tell you, I’ve been pleased with the way he’s practiced. He hasn’t gotten a lot of reps. When he’s gone in there, he’s done a good job. He did a good job today. We just have to see, because he’s never really played in a game. That’s another hard question to answer. I believe he’d surprise some people. I really do. I feel pretty good about him. He from about this time last year until August without throwing any passes. He was a receiver. And he’s come back and really has done a tremendous job, in my opinion, having not done it for a year.â€

ON THE CUT-OFF FOR TAYLOR, WHERE HE WOULDN’T TAKE OVER IF GLENNON GOT HURT: “Again, that’s something we just have to kind of wait and see how the season is, how the team is, record-wise. That’s a hard question to answer right now. Just trying to answer hypothetically: four games. That’s kind of a time that if something would happen … probably two or three games, something like that. If the injury looked long-term. If you’re talking about a week or half a game … it’s hard to answer. But until you cross that bridge, you don’t really need to answer it.â€

ON HOW LONG THE CONVERSATION WAS WITH TAYLOR AND HIS FATHER SATURDAY ABOUT REDSHIRTING: “Not long. I think all along, from the very beginning, I think Tyrod has felt from the very first time I ever talked with him, the best thing for him would be to redshirt. That would’ve been nice to be done last year, but we couldn’t afford to do it at that point in time. So I really believe he feels like it’s in his best interest to do that. I believe it’s the best thing, again, if we make it work.â€

ON THINGS TAYLOR CAN IMPROVE ON: “You’ve got to remember, he’s young. Reads, quicker decision-making, just general knowledge. Just a myriad of things, just like every quarterback. Probably the biggest thing he needs is reps, over and over and over and over again. He’s pretty good where he is right now. That’s why, if this thing works, I’m so excited. Because I know where he is, and I know how much improvement he can make, so I see a very bright future down the road.â€

They will be young and have their struggles early, but I think around game four or so you will see a good team once they get experience of a couple of games. I just hope they can pull a win out in Charlotte this weekend.

I just don't see why so many fans are so down on Glennon and are writing off this upcoming season. I've said many times what I think about Glennon and the O-line over the last couple of years. If you look at the last six games from last season and those numbers should say something about what the O could do when they got it together.

True, they are setting up for two and three years from now, but don't turn your back on these kids that are going to be a major part of THIS YEAR'S team and giving it their all out there for the love of the game and the fans!!! This team still has a chance to have an exciting season and make a great run THIS YEAR!

Edited by bhs7695