Questions for the former Pocahontas students/fans...

GMan

or didnt think they'd fit in with the preps at graham. tazewell kids more like pocy kids... dont think their poop dont stink. or because they all knew the coach at tazewell.

I went to Graham...not a "prep"...and my poop stinks to high heaven...

Scott Louthan ending up at Tazewell probably had a bit to do with their decision.

Ding, Ding, Ding! That is the main reason they all went to Tazewell. At least the ones I talked to said that was the reason they went there.

The pocy kids are playing on athletic ability alone. They have not had a coach since Wyatt left. That's why Pocy has struggled in the past, it's not that they don't have the ability. You can't just rely on ability, fundamentals are a huge part of football and without that basic knowledge it's hard to compete. And it's hard to get that from someone who has never laced up a pair of cleats(Louthan). I'm glad to see the Pocy kids thrive under a coach that can guide them in the right direction.

louthan is not a good football coach, and he is an even worse teacher.

I will have to disagree with that. Considering the numbers he had to work with I thought he did an excellent job. And I think it was a huge mistake for the leadership at Graham to let him go to Tazewell. You don't have to play football at Graham to know something about the game. Another blunder in a year of them.

Cane4lf10,

Lets set the record straight.

I helped coach at PHS the last 4 years it was open. The #1 reason for not being able to win was numbers of kids. We usually started the season with 23-25 players and ended the season with 17-18 that had no injuries. We constantly played 7 and 8 kids both ways. They never left the field. Second, we had skill position players out the wazoo (evident by what you now see at THS). What we did not have was consistent linemen.

Fundelmentals was what we worked on everyday while I was there. That translated in 7 wins the last 2 years and actullay competing with teams that generally blew us out in previous years. Tackling drills every day improved their confidence. Trust me when I tell that the losing mentality was extremely hard to overcome. But we improved as a team every year that I was there. Louthan may not have been the most football savy coach but his relationship with the kids was rock solid. They beleived in what we were doing and we belived that they could win.

Are these athletes better off at Tazewell?: absolutely. But don't hash a coaching staff that you knew nothing about.

The situation with Pocy has been the same for years. They have always played 6-8 players both ways. That's no excuse. Look at Bland, same situation and better results. Pocy teams of old would never had trouble with Bland not to mention Montcalm. And it's not the absence of athletes they were still plenty. It comes back to structure and fundamentals. No base offense.... Spread??? Power I??? Who knows. What was Louthan's combine record versus Wyatt's. And please tell me the difference in the results, same school different coaching. I am just glad to see these players get a chance to play for Wyatt. Go Indians

You called it right. "Pocy's teams of old".

We had neither the numbers or the personnel to be a factor. We had 108 High school kids to pull from. If 60 % of those were indeed female that left us less than 45 boys to play. If its' true that your lucky to get 10% to play football then I guess we were doing well with numbers.

Base Offense? come on, you find an offense that works with the kids that you have. Ask Booby.

Wyatt knew that PHS football and the school was going down and sought better pastures. By the way Louthan won 7 games in 2 years as the head football coach.

question for you though. Why did you not come out and share some your expert knowledge on coaching football? Obviously we could have used your help.

I can't sit by and let a Louthan get dogged. Too good a people. Coaching is about knowing how to treat people, as well as knowing football. The Louthan's know people. Graham's loss is Tazewell's gain.

Wasn't dogging Louthan as a person. You can see the kids like him. But his experiece and knowledge showed. Just for example in basketball, Pocy has had maybe 5-8 players to ever score a thousand points in it's history. While Louthan was coach he had at least three players in a four year span score a thousand points. Little, Dillon, and Pauley. Those athletes played on the same team and won what? Once again the talent was there. The numbers are a little different in basketball. That's three out of your five starters. that is tremendous from a school Pocys size. It's not about likability it's about coaching

dude u dont even know what the hell youre talking about he turned the basketball and football program around at pocahontas and the boys love him

let's just say that i do know what i'm talking about, seeing as i've worked with the guy. thanks for playing, though.

he comes from a prominent family in the area, but he's extremely unprofessional and crosses the coach/friend line all too often. yes, the pocy boys like him and played for him--because they saw him as one of their buddies, not because they respected the man as a coach or for his knowledge. and, being your players' friend doesn't automatically make you a good coach; it makes you a liability. oh, and a bonehead for setting yourself up like that.

beyond that, he doesn't know the intricacies of football. he didn't know how to teach the pocy kids technique and simple fundamentals of football. he got his playcalling degree from madden u. and the little success he did have at pocy was largely due to having no fewer than 2 athletes: one to take the snap and one to either catch a pass and outrun the defense or take the handoff and outrun the defense. honestly, point to a pocy game louthan coached and show me one coaching decision that made the difference between win and loss in any game.

basketball, the pocy kids play basketball constantly. all he had to do was kick back and press play. he was just lucky he had talented players come through the school during his time there. true varsity coaches build a program; louthan wouldn't have done diddly squat with the next bunch of indians to come through after the pauleys graduated, and that's just fact.

and let's not even let me get started on his teaching ability, or lack thereof. i could write pages on that.

Well im glad i was lucky enough 2 play for him at pocy and still lucky enough 2 have him as a coach at tazewell. If it wasn't for him i dont know if i would be where i am today. Time and time again he has made sure that i was ok making sure i had my bball shoes, cleats, gloves...etc. I think he was a great coach he built the pocy program up the time he was there. And even if you dont agree with me on that talk to any player from pocahontas and you will find out he was one hell of a man and coach. I owe alot to him and all the coaches who coached me at pocahontas they made me what i am today. So thanks coach louthan and the pocahontas staff...Corner #21

Two very different points of view here. There have been plenty of successful coaches who were limited in their understanding of the fundamentals of the game but were still successful....Joe Gibbs with NASCAR stands out. He makes sure he has racing guys to handle the technical stuff, and he provides the leadership.

Knowing Xs and Os won't necessarily make you a great coach, but being able to inspire and lead will always give you a fighting chance. The previous post tells me Louthan can inspire and lead.

That is true Hacker....... #21 I wanna tell ya this buddy, you are one hell of a player to watch when you are on that field, I don't how you guys handled rivalry games over the mountain, but this week emotions will be high for both teams, you are a wide open player when your on the filed, just watch how how you let your emotions out when u make big plays this week, because the refs will throw flags like crazy during this game.... that's just coming from an old player that enjoys this rivalry....

That is true Hacker....... #21 I wanna tell ya this buddy, you are one hell of a player to watch when you are on that field, I don't how you guys handled rivalry games over the mountain, but this week emotions will be high for both teams, you are a wide open player when your on the filed, just watch how how you let your emotions out when u make big plays this week, because the refs will throw flags like crazy during this game.... that's just coming from an old player that enjoys this rivalry....

The game hasnt even started yet and you are already complaining about the refs? ;)

I kid, I kid!! LOL

at one point in last weeks tazewell game 6 out of the 11 players on the field were indians last year.

and its showing.3-0

Not taking anything away from the pocy kids, but some of the tazewell kids that have been there longer are on the sidelines when they are just as good as the pocy kids. WHats up with that?

Not taking anything away from the pocy kids, but some of the tazewell kids that have been there longer are on the sidelines when they are just as good as the pocy kids. WHats up with that?

Because the best kids are playing........that is the very reason Tazewell hasn't really won squat in 20 years. Coach Wyatt is playing his best 11.