Bluefields new basketball coach will be?

the_truth

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Any rumors of a hiring are not true. Interviews are going on tomorrow, I dont know if any today or Wednesday.

Hey, Truth, were you as bored as I was at that meeting Monday?

I said this yesterday when I heard this news. If he is the new coach, bye bye Bluefield basketball.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw him under the bus. He has honestly "overachieved" with the tools he had to work with in the girls program the past few years. When he had the talent, he took it and utilized it to the best he could which ended with a loss in the regional finals to the eventual Class AA champion, Summers County.

I don't know how much of an X's and O's coach he is, but after seeing what he did with the girls team, I really think the understanding of the keys to Bluefield basketball are there: to get them moving and to play fast.

If he can grasp that concept then I see how he could do no worse than both Havens and Gilliard.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I wouldn't be so quick to throw him under the bus. He has honestly "overachieved" with the tools he had to work with in the girls program the past few years. When he had the talent, he took it and utilized it to the best he could which ended with a loss in the regional finals to the eventual Class AA champion, Summers County.

And he was leading in the fourth, but had honestly only 5 skilled players. If one player had kept her grades up, we might have been in Charleston. Not to mention he probably lost to one of the greatest coaches in all of WV for a awhile now, Wayne Ryan.

Bluefield will be down this year, but just give it time...

I'll give him credit for developing Destiny Tolliver into the player she is today because she wasn't too great her 9th grade year. Now she has learned to use her height and has much improved on her skills.

Anyway, I am just not convinced by him. Every game I've been to he seems to never have control over his players and cannot make in game adjustments. I just do not think he is the guy for the job.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I hope all works out for BHS. It's nice having a school competitive in the state playoffs. I don't know much about Large, but it seems like most doubt him.

as they should...

Well goodbye Bluefield basketball. I doubt we will ever make it back to Charleston for the tourney. You can have all the talent in the world, but coaching is HUGE!!!! Besides I have heard that some of the players will not play for him since he was appointed. Or so they say.

Buster was a teacher and assistant football & basketball coach at BJHS while I was there. I never had him for a class nor did I ever hear of any problems from my friends that had a class or played under him. I remember when he left the high school football staff for the J.I Burton job, I believe, and they had their first winning season in like 20 years in football or something like that under him.

Why do the players not want to play for the man?

I don't see why everyone is doubting Busters coaching abilities...I think he will turn bluefields losing ways in Charleston around

I agree. I think he will play to the strenghts of his players...he won't use race horses to plow a field and he won't take plow horses to the Kentucky Derby.

Now the question is...will the kids come out to play for him???

If the kids come out, the Beavers will be fine...

Doubtful on the winning season in 20 year thing, because Large came after the guy who is the D-Coord at UVA-Wise (Kuzco) now and that guy won a lot of games from what i remember.

JIB had had several bad seasons before Buster took over the head coaching job. He did turn them around and get them in the playoffs in short order.