Tazewell's Rasnick "counts his blessings"

trublue

By Allen Gregory

Sports Writer / Bristol Herald Courier

Published: November 28, 2008

TAZEWELL, Va. – It was an emotional scene outside the Tazewell locker room last Saturday evening.

With faces caked in mud and tears on the bitterly cold day, the Tazewell football players were consoled by parents, coaches and friends.

The Bulldogs had just dropped a 28-27 overtime decision to Tazewell County rival Richlands for the Region IV, Division 3 football championship.

One player remained in his uniform long after the game.

“It’s a blessing just to be part of this day,†Tazewell senior T.J. Rasnick said.

In many ways, Rasnick’s story was representative of the saga of the 2008 Bulldogs.

As Tazewell recovered from a 1-9 season in 2007 to post a 9-3 mark, Rasnick battled back from a nightmare.

Last March, a fist-sized lump was discovered inside Rasnick’s right hip. The medical term was synovial sarcoma.

While his teammates were enjoying their summer vacations and preparing for the opening day of practice, Rasnick was undergoing the grueling process familiar to cancer patients.

The routine included 25 radiation treatments, followed by rounds of chemotherapy which ended on July 28.

While the mass was eventually removed, Rasnick was left weakened.

When Tazewell held its annual preseason media day, Rasnick was being treated at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C.

To the surprise of many in the close-knit Tazewell community, the 5-foot-10, 145-pound Rasnick somehow returned for the opening game against George Wythe.

The Bulldogs posted a 21-19 win over the Hogoheegee District favorites. Some Tazewell fans began to sense something was special about these Bulldogs.

“The doctors tried talking me out of playing, and they said they didn’t know if I could do this or that,†Rasnick said. “I just kept my faith in God, and he brought me through it.â€

Entering the season, Rasnick needed 280 yards to break Tazewell’s career rushing record of 2,455 yards.

While Rasnick managed just 113 yards on 27 carries this season, he made many contributions to one of the biggest success stories of the 2008 prep football season in the Mountain Empire.

In addition to collecting 44 tackles and four interceptions from his spot in the secondary, Rasnick supplied three touchdowns and 16 extra point kicks in the regular season.

He added a 43-yard field goal in the opening round of the playoffs, as Tazewell stopped Graham by a 43-14 margin.

Tazewell head football coach Bobby Wyatt was certainly grateful.

“You see a lot of programs on ESPN where athletes battle back from adversity,†Wyatt. “Well, T.J. is a prime candidate for one of those type of stories.â€

Before his medical setback, Rasnick was one of the most explosive and versatile athletes in the Southwest District. His creative spin moves and fakes left many defenders grasping for air.

Rasnick played many roles for the Bulldogs this past season, including kick returner and punter.

“You could tell that there were some moves that T.J. once made that he could no longer make,†Wyatt said. “But when it comes to heart, T.J. is 110 percent.â€

Rasnick said he never questioned whether he could rejoin his teammates in their quest for a magical senior season.

“You have your dark days, but you just have to maintain your faith and keep fighting,†Rasnick said.

Self pity was never a factor, Rasnick said.

“I only like lost 10 pounds during the whole process,†Rasnick said. “There was no reason to hang my head for anything.â€

According to Tazewell senior Matt Muncy, the Bulldogs were motivated by the selfless example of their gritty teammate.

“For someone to go through cancer and everything that’s associated with it, then come back and join our team like T.J. did - that’s an inspiration for anybody,†said Muncy, who has earned a scholarship to play football at Wake Forest.

Wyatt said his players couldn’t help but be inspired by the tenacity and bravery of Rasnick

“After last season ended, our kids came together at school and decided they were going to change things,†said Wyatt, referring to Tazewell’s 1-9 record in 2007.

“When T.J. had his problems, our kids watched how hard to battle back. That just added fuel to our determination. It’s been a long battle for all of us.â€

Ironically, Saturday’s loss to Richlands climaxed with a missed extra point. Rasnick actually made his first kick, then he had to try to kick again from a longer distance after the Bulldogs were penalized.

“I just kind of pulled my head up on that one at the end and the ball went wide,†Rasnick said.

As teammates and parents shed tears around him, Rasnick managed to see the big picture in life.

“You can’t be all sad, it’s just a game,†Rasnick said. “Everybody hates to lose, but you couldn’t have scripted this game any better.â€

Despite the miserable weather Saturday, Tazewell students took time to walk the through the crowd collecting money for cancer research.

Rasnick plans to return to the soccer field this spring where he has been a record-setting scorer for the Bulldogs.

For now, Tazewell fans can be proud of their 145-pound superhero.

“I fought so hard to get back with my team,†Rasnick said.

“To have the opportunity to play for the regional championship, it’s amazing.â€

agregory@bristolnews.com| (276) 645-2544

By Allen Gregory

Sports Writer / Bristol Herald Courier

Published: November 28, 2008

TAZEWELL, Va. – It was an emotional scene outside the Tazewell locker room last Saturday evening.

With faces caked in mud and tears on the bitterly cold day, the Tazewell football players were consoled by parents, coaches and friends.

The Bulldogs had just dropped a 28-27 overtime decision to Tazewell County rival Richlands for the Region IV, Division 3 football championship.

One player remained in his uniform long after the game.

“It’s a blessing just to be part of this day,†Tazewell senior T.J. Rasnick said.

In many ways, Rasnick’s story was representative of the saga of the 2008 Bulldogs.

As Tazewell recovered from a 1-9 season in 2007 to post a 9-3 mark, Rasnick battled back from a nightmare.

Last March, a fist-sized lump was discovered inside Rasnick’s right hip. The medical term was synovial sarcoma.

While his teammates were enjoying their summer vacations and preparing for the opening day of practice, Rasnick was undergoing the grueling process familiar to cancer patients.

The routine included 25 radiation treatments, followed by rounds of chemotherapy which ended on July 28.

While the mass was eventually removed, Rasnick was left weakened.

When Tazewell held its annual preseason media day, Rasnick was being treated at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C.

To the surprise of many in the close-knit Tazewell community, the 5-foot-10, 145-pound Rasnick somehow returned for the opening game against George Wythe.

The Bulldogs posted a 21-19 win over the Hogoheegee District favorites. Some Tazewell fans began to sense something was special about these Bulldogs.

“The doctors tried talking me out of playing, and they said they didn’t know if I could do this or that,†Rasnick said. “I just kept my faith in God, and he brought me through it.â€

Entering the season, Rasnick needed 280 yards to break Tazewell’s career rushing record of 2,455 yards.

While Rasnick managed just 113 yards on 27 carries this season, he made many contributions to one of the biggest success stories of the 2008 prep football season in the Mountain Empire.

In addition to collecting 44 tackles and four interceptions from his spot in the secondary, Rasnick supplied three touchdowns and 16 extra point kicks in the regular season.

He added a 43-yard field goal in the opening round of the playoffs, as Tazewell stopped Graham by a 43-14 margin.

Tazewell head football coach Bobby Wyatt was certainly grateful.

“You see a lot of programs on ESPN where athletes battle back from adversity,†Wyatt. “Well, T.J. is a prime candidate for one of those type of stories.â€

Before his medical setback, Rasnick was one of the most explosive and versatile athletes in the Southwest District. His creative spin moves and fakes left many defenders grasping for air.

Rasnick played many roles for the Bulldogs this past season, including kick returner and punter.

“You could tell that there were some moves that T.J. once made that he could no longer make,†Wyatt said. “But when it comes to heart, T.J. is 110 percent.â€

Rasnick said he never questioned whether he could rejoin his teammates in their quest for a magical senior season.

“You have your dark days, but you just have to maintain your faith and keep fighting,†Rasnick said.

Self pity was never a factor, Rasnick said.

“I only like lost 10 pounds during the whole process,†Rasnick said. “There was no reason to hang my head for anything.â€

According to Tazewell senior Matt Muncy, the Bulldogs were motivated by the selfless example of their gritty teammate.

“For someone to go through cancer and everything that’s associated with it, then come back and join our team like T.J. did - that’s an inspiration for anybody,†said Muncy, who has earned a scholarship to play football at Wake Forest.

Wyatt said his players couldn’t help but be inspired by the tenacity and bravery of Rasnick

“After last season ended, our kids came together at school and decided they were going to change things,†said Wyatt, referring to Tazewell’s 1-9 record in 2007.

“When T.J. had his problems, our kids watched how hard to battle back. That just added fuel to our determination. It’s been a long battle for all of us.â€

Ironically, Saturday’s loss to Richlands climaxed with a missed extra point. Rasnick actually made his first kick, then he had to try to kick again from a longer distance after the Bulldogs were penalized.

“I just kind of pulled my head up on that one at the end and the ball went wide,†Rasnick said.

As teammates and parents shed tears around him, Rasnick managed to see the big picture in life.

“You can’t be all sad, it’s just a game,†Rasnick said. “Everybody hates to lose, but you couldn’t have scripted this game any better.â€

Despite the miserable weather Saturday, Tazewell students took time to walk the through the crowd collecting money for cancer research.

Rasnick plans to return to the soccer field this spring where he has been a record-setting scorer for the Bulldogs.

For now, Tazewell fans can be proud of their 145-pound superhero.

“I fought so hard to get back with my team,†Rasnick said.

“To have the opportunity to play for the regional championship, it’s amazing.â€

agregory@bristolnews.com| (276) 645-2544

Great story.This needs to be read by every athlete,coach and parent, because we so easily lose sight of the big pitchure. A real blessing to know in this crazy world there are lights shining brightly in our schools and community. God bless this young man and all that the Lord has in store for Him:)

A wonderful story that matches the life of a wonderful young man. I watched T.J. walk through this chapter, of his life, and he stood strong in his faith and the prayers of many praying for him. No matter how grueling the treatments, he always had that smile for you.

T.J. you were truly an inspiration for the Dawgs and many others in SWVA who follow football. The game with the Blues didn't end in the Dawgs favor, but T.J. your heart, perseverance, dedication and character, through adversity, when you walked off that field, on Saturday, made you a WINNER WITHOUT QUESTION.

Life has many choices---eternity has two

GO BLUES!!!