wrestling in Mercer County

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Guest BEAVERTAIL

From what I hear Bluefield best both Montcalm and Princeton in a match here recently, anyone hear anything else?

They beat PikeView and Princeton in the Mecer Co. Match...I don't think any team has been very successful outside the county. I know Bluefield wrestled a match with Graham and a couple of other VA Class A schools and didn't fair very well.

http://www.bdtonline.com/archivesearch/local_story_352231247.html

Mercer mats

Bluefield hosts first wrestling match

By JED LOCKETT

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD — A small number of Bluefield High School students were ready to see history, the Beavers’ first home wrestling matches since it was reinstated as a varsity sport in Mercer County. They were few, but passionate — one even brought a championship belt.

They were treated to a tri-match with high drama and a satisfying ending. After downing PikeView 36-30 and watching Princeton do the same 54-18, the Beavers rode a decision by head coach Bobby Jenks and some clutch victories to edge the Tigers 42-36 in the finale Wednesday night.

“It was nice starting out 2-0 wrestling people in the county,” Jenks said. “I had to make a few coaching choices and move a few guys around against Princeton because they had a few weights that we didn’t.”

Jenks moved his backup 171-pounder Wes Linkous to the 189-pound slot. Then he shifted his 189-pounder Jake Lilly to the 215-pound slot.

Linkous lost to Chad Hunt. But Lilly responded to his challenge by dominating Zach McCormick, pinning him in just nine seconds.

“When PikeView and Princeton was wrestling, I was watching their 215,” Lilly said. “And their 215 was standing straight up and I knew just a double-leg takedown after that. And that was the first thing I did was to take him down. Then I pinned him.”

Lilly went 2-0 Wednesday night with another impressive victory over PikeView 189-pounder Charles Brown.

His win set the stage for a deciding match between 285-pounders Brenton Brooks of Bluefield and Jacob McPherson of Princeton. The clash was a struggle between two behemoths. But Brooks prevailed, winning his second pinfall of the night.

“Brenton’s been wrestling 285 so far and he will be going down to 215 actually,” Jenks said. “He’s real excited to that because it’s hard wrestling those bigger guys and he only weighs 220. He knew that he would only get better wrestling those bigger guys.”

“We’ve still got to work on some sprawling a lot,” said Princeton head coach Brett Bowyer. “We need to work on our takedowns a little bit more. We weren’t being aggressive against Bluefield. We should have been a little bit more aggressive as far as takedowns were concerned.”

Hunt took center stage as Princeton’s star of the night, going 2-0 with wins over Linkous and PikeView’s Charles Borum.

“He kept trying to throw in a half(-nelson),” Hunt said when asked about his match against Linkous. “I just kept throwing him down, kept turning him inside to get control. It’s all about leverage.”

As for the Panthers, they were fighting a pair of foes other than Bluefield and Princeton on Wednesday night. One was a lack of bodies as they only had eight wrestlers to fill the 14 weight classes. The other was inexperience, which caused a lack of aggression.

“If they would just continue to work on the basics of takedowns, not throwing their hand back up over their head when they’re trying to do switches and those type of things, if they would get out of the bad habits and get into the good habits, then I think they would be all right,” said PikeView head coach Ronald Ball.

But a star shone brightly for PikeView in the Bluefield High School gymnasium. He was 171-pound Bryan Bailey and he won pinfalls over Bluefield’s Jordan Carinelli and Princeton’s Corey Hager.

“I try to be aggressive and assert myself because if not, people are going to do with you anything they want,” Bailey said. “If I can give advice to any wrestlers, it’s to be aggressive. If anybody shows me any weakness, I’m going to attack it right then.”

All three teams now go back to practice. The Panthers will travel to Graham for a quad tournament on Jan. 8.

“We had a few more guys to win some matches than we did two weeks ago over at Shady Spring,” Ball said. “So they’re coming along.”

Meanwhile the Tigers and the Beavers will travel to Greenbrier West for a tournament on Jan. 27.

“We’re going to have to practice harder,” Bowyer said. “We’re definitely going to have to do things that we haven’t done before.”

“I’m pretty confident with them,” Jenks said. “We still have a long way to go. But the progress they’ve made in this short amount of time I’m pleased with.”

**here are results from those matches...

against Fort Chiswell, aside from the forfeits-in actual head to head matches, Bluefield won 5 out of 7

FORT CHISWELL, VA 54 BLUEFIELD 30

Date: 12/18/08

103: GUISEPPE CALO (FC) WON BY FORFEIT

112: JON HANKS (FC) WON BY FORFEIT

119: MARK DUNFORD (FC) WON BY FORFEIT

125: LEANN CHILDS (B) WON BY FALL OVER DESIREA MCKINNEY (FC) :46

130: MICHAEL HAGER (B) WON BY FORFEIT

135: MARK LILLY (B) WON BY FALL OVER JESSE MONAHAN (FC) 1:12

140: BRIAN CAMERON (B) WON BY FALL OVER JASON GRUBB (FC) :51

145: BRADEN HATFIELD (FC) WON BY FORFEIT

152: TANNER GRAVELY (FC) WON BY FORFEIT

160: SAL CALO (FC) WON BY FALL OVER STEPHEN WESSELLS (B) :19

171: ANTHONY WHISMAN (FC) WON BY FALL OVER JORDAN CARINELLI (B) :52

189: JAKE LILLY (B) WON BY FALL OVER DAKOTA MABE (FC) 1:05

215: KERRY CHANDLER (FC) WON BY FORFEIT

285: DAKOTA MCGINN (FC) WON BY FALL OVER BRENTEN BROOKS (B) 1:18

**against George Wythe, head to head matches, Bluefield won 2 out of 3

GEORGE WYTHE, VA 42 BLUEFIELD 39

103: AUSTIN THOMAS (GW) WON BY FORFEIT

112: J.D. DAVIS (GW) WON BY FORFEIT

119: HUNTER MILLS (GW) WON BY FORFEIT

125: LEANN CHILDS (B) WON BY FORFEIT

130: MICHAEL HAGER (B) WON BY FORFEIT

135: MARK LILLY (B) WON BY FALL OVER JOHN FERGUSON (GW) :47

140: BRIAN CAMERON (B) WON BY FORFEIT

145: AARON DAVIS (GW) WON BY FORFEIT

152: DOUG WILLIAMS (GW) WON BY FORFEIT

160: STEPHEN WESSELLS (B) WON BY FORFEIT

171: LEVI LANTER (GW) WON BY FALL OVER JORDAN CARINELLI (B) :23

189: JAKE LILLY (B) WON BY DEC. OVER JONATHAN TURPIN (GW) 5-3

215: NATHAN BAXLEY (GW) WON BY FORFEIT

285: BRENTEN BROOKS (B) WON BY FORFEIT

**against Graham, head to head matches, Bluefield won 3 out of 8.

GRAHAM, VA 66 BLUEFIELD 15

103: HEATH BROWING (G) WON BY FORFEIT

112: CHASE STASHEEN (G) WON BY FORFEIT

119: HEATH HARTLEY (G) WON BY FORFEIT

125: LEANN CHILDS (B) WON BY MED. DEFAULT OVER JOE GRUBB (G) 3:40

130: NATHAN EVANS (G) WON BY FALL OVER MICHAEL HAGER (B) :30

135: LARRY HAGERMAN (G) WON BY FALL OVER MARK LILLY (B) 2:36

140: CHAD STASHEEN (G) WON BY FALL OVER BRIAN CAMERON (B) :45

145: TANNER HOWELL (G) WON BY FORFEIT

152: T.J. EVANS (G) WON BY FORFEIT

160: AUSTIN BOKISH (G) WON BY FALL OVER STEPHEN WESSELLS (B) 1:05

171: ANDREW FROY (G) WON BY FALL OVER WES LINKOUS (B) 1:47

189: JAKE LILLY (B) WON BY DEC. OVER JOSH GROSS (G) 5-4

215: CASEY BARERRAS (G) WON BY FORFEIT

285: BRENTEN BROOKS (B) WON BY FALL OVER COLE CORNWELL (G) 2:51

CARROLL COUNTY 60 BLUEFIELD 12

**against Carroll Co., I think Bluefield won 2 of 7 head to head, don't have the individual results.

Edited by lowsingle

If you could fill up some weight classes, I think you guys could be fairly competitive. Looks like Jake Lilly is doing pretty well though.

Is the WV state tournament like VA's in that kids qualify and wrestle through their weight at the State Tournament earning points for the team or is it solely team vs. team (dual type format)???