swva middle school championships

mudmaker

thanks to coach B and crew for what must have been a very organized and well put together tourney this past weekend. congrats to the richlands middle school team and coach maggard for a great showing. richlands had the following place winners. Ethan Smith 1st, Carlos Sanchez 1st, Amber Smith 1st, Steve Owens 3rd, Brandon Boyd 3rd, Nick Cordle 3rd. this was the first time most of the richlands team had ever competed in live competition. keep up the good work kids the best is yet to come for team tornado!

Ethan and Amber Smith are really good wrestlers for their ages. Pound-for-pound these two were the best wrestlers in the tournament. I know if I would have been in middle school, I would not have wanted to wrestle Amber. I would hate to lose to a girl.

Guest old_school

Amber was tough for anyone she wrestled Saturday. It was great to see all of the kids out there. Hopefully the excitement will stay for some of the kids and they will stick with it.

Yeah, I was really glad to see that many kids involved in the sport. Our program has been down on the numbers for the past couple of seasons. We usually start out between twenty and thirty wrestlers, but by the "Skeens" tournament we are down to ten, nine, eight, or seven. Hopefully, this is a good indicator of the numbers we will have in high school.