Best local football player?

-oo-

Who do you think is the best football player locally for WV and VA.

I would have to say Jake Lilly is not only and incredible player but has the most heart I have seen out of any man in my life!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but it is hard to imagine that there is a more complete player than jake lilly...i think he represents what the idea of the true football player is supposed to be.....tuff and hits like a truck.

I agree. Jake is just old school.

I have not seen Jack Lilly play...

But I do think Brandon Atwell from GW should be in consideration.....

considering he is being looked at by several colleges...some Division I from what I have heard

We are not talking about who is looking at who here because I'm sure their are faster and better all around athletes in the area than Lilly, but in terms of just being a hard nosed old school throwback type of player then Lilly is the man. Lilly is the type of player who can play any position on the field and excel at it...He could play on the offensive line and would be all-state at it. He has played both Quarterback and running back on offense and has played Linebacker and safety on the defensive side of the also.

Edited by rabidbeaver

we are not talking about who is looking at who here because i'm sure their are faster and better all around athletes in the area than lilly, but in terms of just being a hard nosed old school throwback type of player then lilly is the man. Lilly is the type of player who can play any position on the field and excel at it...he could play on the offensive line and would be all-state at it. He has played both quarterback and running back on offense and has played linebacker and safety on the defensive side of the also.

wow ! :)

Jake Lilly would get my vote here also.....a hard nosed, football player that backs down from nobody. The kid is a beast and has been for four years at BHS. If you googled "football player" I would not be surprised if Jake's picture did not come up.

I don't know of too many faster or better all around athletes in the area than Jake. Granted, Jake isn't the fastest player in the area and he'll be the first one to tell you that, but we aren't exactly in a speed wealthy environment. As far as being one of the better all around athletes, starting both ways since his sophomore year, leading the team in tackles his first three years, leading the state in tackles the past two, all while playing offense and special teams, I'm not sure there is a better athlete in the STATE on the football field. Oh, and he wrestles (placed 6th in the state with no prior experience) and is an all-state baseball player.

If I was starting a team with players from SWVA Jake Lilly would be my undisputed #1 pick. He's a football player in every sense of the word. If he was bigger he'd be drawing serious D1 interest because everything else is already there. He has been a man amongst boys for several years now.

Does Jake have anyone looking at him for college ball? I hope to see him atleast go on and play ball somewhere..Football or baseball..or both...I know Marcus is being looked at by Duke for football which would be a bright future for him

I have not got the chance to see Jake Lilly play. If im not mistaking Tyler Berglow is the best running back in the SWD by the stats, doesen't he lead with yds and tds? I know he officaly got over a 1000 yds last friday aganist the Bulldogs. Granted though he really filled up the stat sheet aganist some pretty weak teams.

When I use the term "football player" the prime factors I am considering are heart, knack for the game, nose for the ball and an instinctive player. Jake Lilly may not have been genetically blessed with a prototypical football players body, but I will say that he is a "football player." He just seems to understand the game and what his role is and then executes.

He is truly been a joy to watch.

I am a Grundy fan myself and the Kelly kid at QB looks to be a good one for next year if he works on a few things during the off season...

but...I have to say hands down the best player I've seen this year with the most potential on down the road is the kid from Marion...Johnson...most exciting RB I've seen since Marcum.

in WV, have to go with Lilly because I don't know much more about WV players and i usually hit the SWD games...have seen him on film and he looks to be the real deal to me.

whose jake lily play 4

An up and coming player to watch out for is Devon Johnson. He is the RB at Richlands this year and only a sophmore. I would like to see the Lilly kid play from what I have seen from highlights he looks to be a all around great player.

On the Virginia side, I think Bradley Strong from Richlands is a strong contender, playing both ways for the Blues. As stated about Lily, Bradley plays with much heart and determination. He doesn't let the size of the opponent intimidate him in his job. He is fast and a most importantly a team player.

Life has many choices---eternity two

I knew Strong was a great player, and then I saw him press Muncy in the final Richlands/Tazewell matchup last season and that sold me on him. Strong, who can't be any bigger than 5'6 140, pressed right up on Muncy and made him work for his numbers that game. I was very impressed.

I agree. Jake is just old school.

I've known this kid ever since he played little league. I actually helped coach one of his little league teams. He had that old school mentallity then as well. He was unstoppable then as he is now. He's a good kid. His dad trained him to be mentally tough and it's stuck with him. Some college team will be lucky to have him.