If some SWD teams were to drop to A

jlshelton

I've thought about this...and now that the VHSL allows Regions to expand the playoffs, there wouldn't be any problem with five districts in a Region as long as that Region did expand its playoffs to at least six teams. So, I would expect them to more or less keep a SWD-type set up if they were to drop to Class A, in all likelihood, Region D. But still, Region D would have to expand their playoffs in order for something like that to happen.

I've thought about this...and now that the VHSL allows Regions to expand the playoffs, there wouldn't be any problem with five districts in a Region as long as that Region did expand its playoffs to at least six teams. So, I would expect them to more or less keep a SWD-type set up if they were to drop to Class A, in all likelihood, Region D. But still, Region D would have to expand their playoffs in order for something like that to happen.

Do you see this happening any time soon.

either. They used to be with the RR schools back in the 70's in the New River. Piedont might be closer/easier because of 58, but RR schools are more similar in enrollments.

If 4 or so SWD schools drop, I see them going to the LPD (since they'll be consolidating soon) or the CMD disbanding.

I see them going to the LPD (since they'll be consolidating soon)

You sure about that? Last I heard all plans were dropped when they decided not to build new schools...unless there have been new developments in the last couple of months...

no plans have been dropped that I'm aware of. Was talking about it with the Heritage guys down in Norton Monday night

So are they just going to use the schools that they have?

What school's are going where? Appy & PV? Pound & Kelly? Coeburn & St. Paul? Anything going on with Burton...I know they are a "city" school (Norton)...are they a part of this as well?

I am hoping that if they all drop to A level, they will take the SWD with them and just make it an A level district...keep the history intact...I also heard the cut point for the "new" levels will be 750 for A level once it's all said and done, then expand out to 4 A's across the state to better serve the schools out near the DC area....or at least that's the word I heard on what they were thinking.

I personally think this 6 team playoff system is a pre-cursor to larger membership in districts...I think you might see 10+ team districts in the next go around...especially on this end of the state.

This is the last I heard about the Wise Co. consolidations...I finally found the newslink...

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9017092

that story just told me Meador needed time to review the numbers.

That means you missed this one ...

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9018170

"another potential vote next week" (which is now THIS week)

And this one ...

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9018134

BoS isn't for a lifetime. If something isn't done b4 THEY'RE up for re-election...

If I am correct, they take every team in the Region and list them by enrollment. The top half (with the largest enrollment) are the upper division (ex. Region IV Division IV) and the bottom half are the lower division (ex. Region IV Division III) The biggest drawback is teams like Richlands (Division III) have played teams in the State playoffs that would be in Division IV if they were in Region IV. Such as Monticello.

they did it that way the first year, but since Region B's so lopsided, they only had 3 teams in Div. 1. George Mason was in no matter what, and they went 0-10, which caused quite a stir (and they ALMOST won their playoff game). Rules were changed the next year to divide at the Regional level

That would work out great for football, and even basketball now that it's gone to divisional play. The problem would be the sports without divisions like baseball, softball and volleyball. Assuming two teams from each district qualify, you would have a 10-team field, which would require four rounds. That would be tough to squeeze into one week, especially for the spring sports which have the potential for rainouts.

They should completely separate the football districts from the other sports. Tennessee used to do this up until this season when they adopted a system quite similar to Virginia's. They've had all sorts of problems this season including a couple 1-9 teams in the playoffs...