AA basketball in WV

RenegadeFan

So I recently got told I talk too much on the WVP board and was a bad example to the name Westside and all and spent wayyyyyy to much time over there, so I figured I'd take a break from there and come over here for a spell.

so how does everyone feel AA basketball will be this season?

I know, I know some of you will say it's football still yet and you are correct, but I'm a big basketball fan.

I think the two 5 or 6 in AA could really make a run at the title, those being

1. Oak Hill

2. Wyoming East

3. Ravenswood

4. Bluefield

5. Tug Valley

6. Magnolia

7. Weir

the other teams that could be surprise teams is Pikeview, Chapmanville with the addition of former Harts HC Harry Kirk, among a few others.

I really like the trio Oak Hill has coming back these days, but really wonder how Fred will use them? I like Fred, but ultimately think it was his decisions that cost them last year.

Wyoming East has a host of talent, so experienced, so not so experienced, the interesting thing at WE is the new head coach they have gotten. Lester is out, so the experience of HC is gone. I think ultimately WE and OH are the two favorite from our region with Bluefield standing a good chance of playing spoiler.

Ravenswood returns a good amount of talent from last years championship team, not to mention arguably the best coach in AA. which makes them that dangerous, arguably could be considered the no. 1 team in preseason.

you all know about Bluefield, so I dont have to brag about them much. Ponder is arguably one of the best basketball players in the state this year. so that alone makes them dangerous.

I put Tug Valley in my top 5 but have a big question mark on them, they remind me of a lot of the Mount View teams in the past that had talent but let emotions get in the way. the talent is there, a good coach is finally there, but just not sure, they did make the playoffs last year, so it'll be interesting to see what this year holds for them.

I think by seasons end Magnolia and Weir will be right in the mix of things, but not both will be able to make it, add to the mix that some of the northern posters think Oak Glen will have a good team. so add these three with Ravenswood in the same region, could be interesting up there.

some teams I do think will be interesting to keep an eye on this year will be Scott, Pikeview, and as I said Chapmanville with the add of Harry Kirk as HC.

should be an interesting year, I look forward to it and think AA will be very competitive and fun for sure!

Other than having coach Kirk, do you know what Chapmanville brings back this year? I don't know much about them.

I am really looking forward to bball season this year, while my hometown team is gonna be way down(James Monroe) the quality in this area in AA is as good as i've seen it top to bottom.

The only team you didn't mention that I keep hearing about is Shady. I keep hearing that they have maybe their most talented team ever up there. Now, I don't know that that reallly means all that much, but they could play spoiler somewhere down the road.

Oak Hill should be the team to beat this season with Wyoming East a close second.

As for Bluefield, I think it will all depend upon who is actually doing the "coaching"...

Guest JJBrickface

Another year of talking about Bluefield and coaching. Once again I will tell you how the Beavers do not have a the size, and don't have the shooting ability to make up for the lack of size in the post. They have to rely on their speed but that is only going to get them so far, no matter who the coach is.

Another year of talking about Bluefield and coaching. Once again I will tell you how the Beavers do not have a the size, and don't have the shooting ability to make up for the lack of size in the post. They have to rely on their speed but that is only going to get them so far, no matter who the coach is.

If this was an assessment of last year's team, I would agree 100%. The teams in the years before that, no. I watched every game from the 2005-2007 seasons and Bluefield was able to compete with and/or beat the best teams in the state while utilizing their speed and never really being greatly outsized in any matchup. However, it seemed as when the Beavers set foot in the Charleston Civic Center, the coaching philosophy changed. Somehow Charleston brought about changing the full court press, changing the fast paced offense, and switching the gameplan completely.

I agree that last year's team had no size and couldn't compete with anyone if they were forced to shot the ball, but the teams in the past were just fine until someone in a shirt and tie decided to screw things up. And this isn't just from me; you can ask anyone (beavertail, hokie, rocks among others) who sat beside me many times and watched the same thing.

Guest JJBrickface
If this was an assessment of last year's team, I would agree 100%. The teams in the years before that, no. I watched every game from the 2005-2007 seasons and Bluefield was able to compete with and/or beat the best teams in the state while utilizing their speed and never really being greatly outsized in any matchup. However, it seemed as when the Beavers set foot in the Charleston Civic Center, the coaching philosophy changed. Somehow Charleston brought about changing the full court press, changing the fast paced offense, and switching the gameplan completely.

I agree that last year's team had no size and couldn't compete with anyone if they were forced to shot the ball, but the teams in the past were just fine until someone in a shirt and tie decided to screw things up. And this isn't just from me; you can ask anyone (beavertail, hokie, rocks among others) who sat beside me many times and watched the same thing.

I agree on the part where they changed the gameplan, and that was a bad coaching decision. However, at the end of the day I don't think Bluefield would have gotten much further anyways because of their lack of fundamentals. Unfortunately these kids aren't being coached up properly in youth or middle school basketball.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I agree on the part where they changed the gameplan, and that was a bad coaching decision. However, at the end of the day I don't think Bluefield would have gotten much further anyways because of their lack of fundamentals. Unfortunately these kids aren't being coached up properly in youth or middle school basketball.

From my graduating class, all 4 went on to play college ball:

Chance Cotrell: UNOH

Justin Harris: Now at BSC

Kyle Hammond: Bridgewater

Dexter Moore: Coastal Carolina

Now I know, going to college really doesnt mean much, but what college coach is going to pick up a player without fundamentals?

Bluefield had the skills IMO.

Guest JJBrickface
From my graduating class, all 4 went on to play college ball:

Chance Cotrell: UNOH

Justin Harris: Now at BSC

Kyle Hammond: Bridgewater

Dexter Moore: Coastal Carolina

Now I know, going to college really doesnt mean much, but what college coach is going to pick up a player without fundamentals?

Bluefield had the skills IMO.

Kyle Hammond and Dexter Moore had fundamentals. A large portion of the team has grown up with And 1 and flashy basketball. We have talent but its not that superior.

What about the supposed 6'7" formerly home-schooled player or the Leggett kid that checks in at at 6'5" or so? That's not a lot of size, but definitely more than Bluefield has had in several years. The premise is correct, a lack of general fundamentals will be their undoing in the end. Oak Hill had a super-talented team last season, but lacked the fundamentals that a team like Wyoming East had. It'll be interesting to see if East can continue their dominance with a new coach. Coaching is a huge, huge factor at the high school level.

Other than having coach Kirk, do you know what Chapmanville brings back this year? I don't know much about them.

I am really looking forward to bball season this year, while my hometown team is gonna be way down(James Monroe) the quality in this area in AA is as good as i've seen it top to bottom.

The only team you didn't mention that I keep hearing about is Shady. I keep hearing that they have maybe their most talented team ever up there. Now, I don't know that that reallly means all that much, but they could play spoiler somewhere down the road.

cant tell ya much about Chapmanville, I'm sure they bring back some talent from last season, not even sure what there record was last year? It seems like I remember them make some noise here or there last year?

I just know any team with Harry Kirk as coach will be a good rounded team. Kirk is one of the legendary coaches in this state IMO.

I think the idea of him vs Mark Hatcher in coaching will be very interesting, Hatch has all the talent in the world on Logan's team to dribble anyone this year, but wouldnt be shocked if this game is closer than the experts would think.

I'll look/ask around and see what I can find out for you though. I've been told Westside scrimmages this, so if I can find out when/where and have the time, I might try and check it out and give ya my opinions on it.

Oak Hill should be the team to beat this season with Wyoming East a close second.

As for Bluefield, I think it will all depend upon who is actually doing the "coaching"...

I tend to agree with you statement here. I was wondering about the coaching thing too at Bluefield, but still really believe they'll be a good team, I might be wrong, but eh wouldnt be the first time, lol.

as for Wyoming East being second, I dont know yet, I sorta got mixed emotions here. As I said They have a butt load of talent, but the experience level is about half and half. Add that with the new coach and how the kids will adapt to his coaching and all. Now dont misunderstand me here, I think East will be a top 5, if not top 3 team this year and for a few more years to come, but just seeing how the kids that have been under Lester will do under Chapman, plus I wonder how the respect factor will play in? Seems when kids are playing for someone close to their age or who doesnt have much coaching experience they dont really listen well and treat the coach as "one of the guys"

it will be interesting to see what comes out from New Richmond for sure!

I think Ravenswoods will really be right in the mix of things, possibly taking over that no. 2 position from Wyoming East, but ultimately I agree Oak Hill will be the team to beat, just hope Fred can do better with them this year, which I think he will, while I lay a lot of fault on him from last season, equally I think inexperience had something to play in there as well.

Like I said, a very interesting AA field this year for sure, look forward to seeing what happens. I think you could take all the teams I've mentioned and the others that's been mentioned toss'em in a bad and shake it up and have just as much luck with picking who will be in Charleston this year!

****on a personal note****

BTW...as I told you in a PM, you are always welcome here!

I know and I'm grateful and appreciative for that G-man. and will prolly be taking you up on that, seems as if I'm as popular as you these days among the Oceana/Wyoming Co ppl. I've even got my own impostors on that "site" I told you about. they have my sign in name from WVPreps on that "site" and me supposedly talking smack about Westside and a couple of the senior boys who didnt try out.

Thus provoking emails and sorts to be sent to me asking me what my problem is, I told some of the people it's not me, but just don think anyone believes me.

I told this one person I'd not been to "that site" since your problems I informed you about and they was like well you get what you deserve, said I spent wayyyyy to much time on WVP, made myself and more so Westside look bad and if there's one last thing I wanna do is bring a reproach on Westside and make it look bad, let alone myself, so I'm gonna back away from there for a few.

during basketball season I'm gonna put my time and efforts into this site and BR's old site. as I think I'll do the Fan Poll over there again this season, depending on how many posters we have over there this year.

and I've been spreading the word about your board for basketball season. not sure who, if any will show up, but I'm trying for ya man.

Your post makes it seem as if there is a tremendous amount of height throughout the AA level in WV, and that's far from the case. Sticking with the 2006-2007 BHS basketball team, Chance Cottrell was the tallest player at right around 6'4". The tallest player he faced all year, including the Oak Hill Academy Red Team, was the 6'7" Blevins kid from Logan. The Blevins kid had a high skill level and was a dominant force throughout his tenure at Logan, but he never really manhandled Bluefield like he did against his other opponents. Cottrell's physical play along with Ansel Ponder's (6'3") athleticism gave him fits down low, and forced Logan to beat us from somewhere other than the post.

On a side note, I firmly believe that Dexter Moore could've willed Bluefield to at least one state title in his BHS tenure if he had taken complete advantage of his skills. There wasn't one player in WV AA basketball that could guard Dexter for an entire ballgame, and if he had so chosen to take over at any time during a game, he would have been able to do so. That just wasn't Dexter's game mentality and he preferred to get his teammates involved, and I can't argue with that, but there were many instances where he could've scored at will. Moore could have easily averaged 25-30 points a game.