Congrats to the Bluefield Beavers!

GMan

Program of the decade in West Virginia high school football. Most of this team is coming back next year too! Wow!

I don't count private schools that recruit like Wheeling Central.

Edited by bhs7695

Bluefield is truly blessed, very little more than that can be said. The level of success we've experienced is truly humbling. Last night presented more great memories with hopefully even more ahead in the years to come. It's good to be a Beaver...

Someone said it well last night. You don't get special adoration at Bluefield for making the playoffs, or just making it to the second round of the playoffs. I know a lot of teams in WV would love to just make it that far. At Bluefield, there are ten teams that have gone the entire way, and won the championship. Over the last 50 years, there are (I can't remember the exact number) somewhere between 15-20 of those teams that have made it to the championship game.

That's something to think about. About every third year, we play in Wheeling. Lately, it's more often than that, about every other year.

Bluefield lives on success. When I see people from other schools here at Marshall, they have shirts that say "Point Pleasant AA Playoffs 2007!" or "Ravenswood AA Football Playoffs 2009!" You never, ever see Bluefield making these shirts. Why? Because the playoffs are not a successful season for Bluefield. Bluefield Beaver football defines success as winning the state championship; everything else is failure. Sure, you can look back on some good games and great moments from the seasons where a championship wasn't won, but none of that truly matters unless a ring is fitted snuggly on the fingers of these young people. While other schools celebrate a playoff appearance, Bluefield celebrates nothing except for raising the trophy in Wheeling Island Stadium. This is the Beaver standard that breeds success.

Program of the decade in West Virginia high school football. Most of this team is coming back next year too! Wow!

I don't count private schools that recruit like Wheeling Central.

Good one.

Yes, congratulations. Maybe you guys could mentor Tazewell on the art of winning at football. THS '55.

So much of it is tradition and continuity. Chmara coached under Gainer, and Simon coached under Chmara (well, for three years before Chmara retired). Over the past 50 years, we've had three coaches, and the two replacements came from within the former coach's staff. Gainer really started with the commitment to excellence, and it's generally kept going the past 50 years. There have been a handful of lean years, but they seem to be the anomaly.

Bluefield has seemed, at least for the last 15 years or so, to have so much more speed than the rest of the local teams. I don't know if there is a training advantage, if it's due to the population advantage, or if it has something to do with the greater ethnic diversity (I believe Bluefield has the highest percentage of minorities in the region), but Bluefield seems to be really fast.

I know there have been a few years where Fred Simon had to go searching for kids for the team, but in general, over the years, the privilege of playing for Bluefield HS hasn't been a given. There were cuts, wash-outs, etc. Me, I never even went out at the HS level (and I sometimes wish I had that decision to do over again), knowing how tough and grueling the two-a-days were back then.