End of an Era at Bluefield

bogeavs

The entire time I was listening to this game the same thought kept hitting me in the gut. This is the last time both Jake Lilly and Marcus Patterson will strap up for the Bluefield Beavers. What a way to go out for two of the better players to wear a Maroon and White uniform in recent history.

I can recall when they were both freshmen and they had all this hype around them coming up from the middle school and they deserved every bit of it. These two remind me a lot of Rusty Coeburn and Daniel Wells from a few years back. Brothers that have played football together for years and I think it is only fitting that their last game together (probably) results in a state championship.

I can honestly sit here and say that I have never enjoyed watching any football player as much as I have enjoyed watching Jake Lilly play this game. I have never seen anyone bring so much punishment to a football field, but at the same time he can make one move and break your ankles as well. It is once in a great while that a player like Jake Lilly comes through a program and Bluefield has been blessed with his presence on the field the last 4 seasons.

I wish both of these fine young men the best of luck in whatever they pursue in the futures and may God bless them and this entire team.

I get what you are saying, but end of an era i doubt. Bluefield will be back next year. Just as big and bad as ever, being a favorite to win the title and backing up the hype with incredible playing on the field.

Bluefield is just that good.

but still i get what your saying about Lilly and Patterson. but you guys are like USC in college football (up til this year anyway) or UNC in basketball, you guys dont have down seasons you all stinking reload!!...lol

congratz to the beaver nation in southern WV on you 10th title. well done to the coaching staff for making your players prepared and to the players for exicuting the plays well!

two loses on the season yes, but undefeated with you in-state play!

heck of a season fellas!

kudos!

From day 1 at BHS, Jake Lilly and Marcus Patterson were starters in maroon and white. As the Beaver/Graham game of 06 came to a close and we all witnessed Jake's ability to fly everywhere around the field and make plays defensively, we knew he something was special. As the Bluefield/Princeton game of 06 went on and Marcus intercepted three passes in his second high school football game, we knew he too would be a special one.

These two young men have been nothing short of impact players since they first stepped on the field as Bluefield Beavers. An era has certainly come to an end for these two incredible athletes as Bluefield football players, and what better way to end it than a second state championship in their four years. Congratulations, Jake and Marcus. Take this monsterous successful adventure and extreme feeling with you to college and show others across this country what we in the Bluefield area have witnessed since the last Friday of August 2006. If there were a hall of fame for Beaver players and I had a vote, you'd be on my first ballot, hands down.

Jake Lilly and Marcus Patterson will be sorely missed. They don't come any tougher or smarter on the football field than Jake Lilly. They don't come anymore clutch than Marcus Patterson. There aren't two better leaders on or off the field than the both of them. Two fine young man that started at Bluefield all four years, which is unheard of in this program. They've been the heart and soul of Beaver football for several years.

We always seem to reload, really. Think about the players we've lost over the years. Donald Amaker, Charlie Tynes, Yubrenal Isabelle, Ricky Disibbio, Will Cole, Ansel Ponder...the list goes on and on, yet we still compete at the highest levels almost every year.

There are always kids who come up, ready to take the mantle, like Brad Fox.

Jake Lilly and Marcus Patterson will be sorely missed. They don't come any tougher or smarter on the football field than Jake Lilly. They don't come anymore clutch than Marcus Patterson. There aren't two better leaders on or off the field than the both of them. Two fine young man that started at Bluefield all four years, which is unheard of in this program. They've been the heart and soul of Beaver football for several years.

Oh, BTW, Rules....need to update that sig now to show #10. :-)