Raleigh County Mining Accident

Thoughts and prayers with all involved.

When are the rich coal companies going to be held accountable? I'm hearing many infractions at this mine. Massey Energy rips the coal from the ground in WV and doesn't seem to take great care of these miners who risk their life everyday. I see tons of commercials on how they care for their people and community........that's just garbage!

I hope they are fined out the arse.

Before you go saying it would cost many people their jobs........

1. That's better than their life.

2. Some other company will purchase the site if it's really a producer.

Thoughts and prayers with all involved.

When are the rich coal companies going to be held accountable? I'm hearing many infractions at this mine. Massey Energy rips the coal from the ground in WV and doesn't seem to take great care of these miners who risk their life everyday. I see tons of commercials on how they care for their people and community........that's just garbage!

I hope they are fined out the arse.

Before you go saying it would cost many people their jobs........

1. That's better than their life.

2. Some other company will purchase the site if it's really a producer.

It looks like MSHA could very well share in the blame for under-trained inspectors. How are you going to fine the government for the deaths of these miners in addition to Massey?

Massey has always been a very shady operation. The CEO Blankenship has his ways of getting around fines and even lawsuits. In 2004, Blankenship backed Supreme Court Candidate Brent Benjamin with a nice $3 million gift just a short time after Massey had lost a lawsuit to Harman Mine Co. and had to pay $50 million to Harman. As soon as Benjamin won the seat and got settled, Massey appealed the intial court ruling. Seems like 4 years is a long while to wait to appeal doesn't it? Benjamin, of course, didn't recuse himself from the case and overturned the jury's verdict.

Massey also has had countless safety violations at every one of it's mines, but as soon as they are fined for these violations they appeal them, a process that takes years at a time to finish. During this time, even if they are cited for the same violation, since their previous violations are amidst a appeal, they cannot shut down these mines because they are not "repeat offenders."

If you have money, you can do what you want, especially if you get a man inside the Supreme Court.

I believe Blankenship needs to be put through the ringer, but I doubt it will happen...

That is our world today isn't it...

Westboro Baptist is coming to Charleston today and will stay through the weekend. Their original plans were to stay in Charleston all weekend, however, due to the recent mining accident, they plan to pay a visit to the mine.

Now I never want to wish bad on anyone; no matter what you've done. However, if these people from Westboro Baptist just so happen to find themselves injured or worse....so be it.

-Bogeavers

The problem here is you have NO idea what you are talking about! Quit reading the paper and internet it is garbage. Look up any mine in america, MSHA writes a violation every time they walk in the mine to cover there butts in a case like this. For the past decade, Massey has had the best safety record in the country.

No one knows exactly what happend here anyway. Wait until the facts are out before you all start pointing fingers. I guess next we will blame global warming??

Edited by Beaverteeth

Westboro Baptist is coming to Charleston today and will stay through the weekend. Their original plans were to stay in Charleston all weekend, however, due to the recent mining accident, they plan to pay a visit to the mine.

Now I never want to wish bad on anyone; no matter what you've done. However, if these people from Westboro Baptist just so happen to find themselves injured or worse....so be it.

I also heard rumors that they were going to be at Virginia Tech this weekend as well. We share the same sentiments toward them, GetMoney.

They're scheduled to be at the University of Charleston at 5 today, at Charleston Catholic High School at 7 or so, then the Board of Education around 9 (this is best I can remember according to their picket schdule on their website). Then, as far as I know, their revised plans for tomorrow and/or Saturday include going to the mine.

Talk about a protest group that needs to be banned!!!!!

I agree with you 100%!!

-Bogeavers

The problem here is you have NO idea what you are talking about! Quit reading the paper and internet it is garbage. Look up any mine in america, MSHA writes a violation every time they walk in the mine to cover there butts in a case like this. For the past decade, Massey has had the best safety record in the country.

No one knows exactly what happend here anyway. Wait until the facts are out before you all start pointing fingers. I guess next we will blame global warming??

How everyone is quick to point fingers at Massey and other coal companies for unsafe conditions in this country every time an accident happens that is covered by the national media. No one looks at the training of the MSHA inspectors and they may come into question during this particular investigation.

Massey does receive their share of violations as every mine does across the globe. By and large, Massey does have less violations than their competition. Massey also takes better care of their employees than most companies do with benefits and wages. Massey knows how tough and demanding coal mining is on their employees. No mine in the world is going to be 100% safe, whether is coal, gold, diamond, or limestone.

By the way, I don't remember hearing or reading about any outrage over the mine accidents in China in the last several years that are on a much larger scale than the accidents in the U.S. during the same time period. It's the same job.

Edited by bhs7695

Massey has always been a very shady operation. The CEO Blankenship has his ways of getting around fines and even lawsuits. In 2004, Blankenship backed Supreme Court Candidate Brent Benjamin with a nice $3 million gift just a short time after Massey had lost a lawsuit to Harman Mine Co. and had to pay $50 million to Harman. As soon as Benjamin won the seat and got settled, Massey appealed the intial court ruling. Seems like 4 years is a long while to wait to appeal doesn't it? Benjamin, of course, didn't recuse himself from the case and overturned the jury's verdict.

Massey also has had countless safety violations at every one of it's mines, but as soon as they are fined for these violations they appeal them, a process that takes years at a time to finish. During this time, even if they are cited for the same violation, since their previous violations are amidst a appeal, they cannot shut down these mines because they are not "repeat offenders."

If you have money, you can do what you want, especially if you get a man inside the Supreme Court.

I believe Blankenship needs to be put through the ringer, but I doubt it will happen...

That is our world today isn't it...

Benjamin's predecessor, Warren McGraw, was an embarrassment to the WV legal system. I don't believe he ever denied any worker's compensation claim and McGraw was a contributing factor to the state's workers comp. fund being bankrupt. McGraw was helping to turn WV into a welfare state and insurance companies pulled out of WV because of their anti-business practices.

The one man in WV who comes off looking great in all of this is Gov. Manchin. For nearly a week he has been the face in front of the media, and he has done a magnificent job. He comes across sincerely and strikes a great balance between hope and compassion for the families.

Probably the best thing is that he is not coming across as a politician looking to boost anything; but as a caring neighbor.

I remember why I quit posting on here. Nothing but a bunch of smartasses. God forbid me put my 2 cents on here and not get jumped for it. Didn't know I was dealing with a bunch of geniuses who knows all there is to know. Maybe I should post on everyone else's comments and let you all know that you are idiots.

I remember why I quit posting on here. Nothing but a bunch of smartasses. God forbid me put my 2 cents on here and not get jumped for it. Didn't know I was dealing with a bunch of geniuses who knows all there is to know. Maybe I should post on everyone else's comments and let you all know that you are idiots.

Considering both of the posters who replied to your stupidity are older, wiser, and have connections to the coal mining industry thus, insightful knowledge of the situation, YOU should shut up, sit back, and pay attention...you just might learn something about the real world...

Oh, and if you don't like that, you can leave now...

Oh yea. You were to other reason why I left. Cause you are simply a complete asshole and if anything ever happens to doesn't make you happy, you just kick them off. Why must you be an ass all the damn time? Are you pissed off that McDonald's doesn't pay enough or something?

Oh yea. You were to other reason why I left. Cause you are simply a complete asshole and if anything ever happens to doesn't make you happy, you just kick them off. Why must you be an ass all the damn time? Are you pissed off that McDonald's doesn't pay enough or something?

That's actually Lance lol

Trust me, I make more than enough working "at McDonald's"...I've got a great boss who has gone above and beyond to make it worth my while.

If you'd "shut up" once and a while and pay attention, you just might learn a thing or two here...some of you young bucks that are still in school don't have a clue about the "real world". Its idiots like that that have helped put this country in the shape its in now.

Also, if you don't want to leave voluntarily, I'm sure I can arrange for someone to take care of you visiting this board. I don't have to be the one to pull the trigger, I just have to say the word...kinda like "the Godfather"...if you know what I mean...

And yes, I am a "complete asshole"...thank you for noticing...:D

Trust me, I make more than enough working "at McDonald's"...I've got a great boss who has gone above and beyond to make it worth my while.

If you'd "shut up" once and a while and pay attention, you just might learn a thing or two here...some of you young bucks that are still in school don't have a clue about the "real world". Its idiots like that that have helped put this country in the shape its in now.

Also, if you don't want to leave voluntarily, I'm sure I can arrange for someone to take care of you visiting this board. I don't have to be the one to pull the trigger, I just have to say the word...kinda like "the Godfather"...if you know what I mean...

And yes, I am a "complete asshole"...thank you for noticing...:D

GMan, do you really work at Mickey D's??