All the fuss over tailgating.....

futbolking

do you think it had anything to do with the city manager believing that ESPN was coming and he wanted bluefield's image to look better on a national stage? Or do you think Merriman is just an ego maniac who wants to control everybody's fun??... I can see banning the alcohol, but what is wrong with folks setting up tents along the tennis courts and the grassy area between the two parking lots???? NOTHING, in my opinion...guy has no common sense.... Do you think this was totally Merriman's decision (I do)...or do you think he actually took time to discuss it with others before making a decision?....This is my problem with this dude, he has a knee jerk reaction to everything that goes on around here....

There isn't a problem with tents and having clean fun, but most of it wasn't, open containers, foul language, ect

I don't think anybody will disagree about that, however he just rushes to judgment and makes hasty decisions and doesn't seem to think things through to the best solution.

I don't think anybody will disagree about that, however he just rushes to judgment and makes hasty decisions and doesn't seem to think things through to the best solution.

Yep, that's all he's done since he came to town...

Heard Merriman speaking on j104.5 on my way home from class today...He states they encourage people to tailgate out of the back of their cars and trucks but implied the no "public display" of alcoholic beverages...Which for many people I can understand, but I'll be breaking out the twist off Monster can and be refilling it numberous times throughout the day.....Hearing the guy talk he even comes off as sounding like a prick

I wonder how much the state ABC laws and how they are enforced are coming into play with this decision since "The Park" in located in both WV and VA.

I believe on game days in Blacksburg, Virginia Tech has to have a ABC license to allow open containers in the parking lots.

I wonder how much the state ABC laws and how they are enforced are coming into play with this decision since "The Park" in located in both WV and VA.

I believe on game days in Blacksburg, Virginia Tech has to have a ABC license to allow open containers in the parking lots.

Correct, the donor parking lots are all roped off and alcohol has (ok, it's supposed to) to be kept in the parking lots. VT had to obtain an alcohol license for those lots.

We just set up our tent about 30 minutes ago...There's about 7 or 8 tents up right now but plenty of room for alot more people

How did the new tailgating rule turn out? Was it strictly enforced or were they pretty lax about it? For those of you that tailgated in the designated area, how was it?

How did the new tailgating rule turn out? Was it strictly enforced or were they pretty lax about it? For those of you that tailgated in the designated area, how was it?

It actually was a pretty nice set up they had. They did not enforce the "no alcohol" rule which you could obviously tell, but overall I think it worked out for the majority of the people.

Guest StoneyCalhoun

Was not bad at all, but by far WAY less people than normal.

but by far WAY less people than normal.

Maybe tailgating, but not attending the game. The Beaver side was completely packed with the Graham side approximately 90% full. Of course, many more stood around the field to watch instead of in the stands, especially on the Beaver side. It was one of the larger crowds I can personally remember for Beaver/Graham.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
Maybe tailgating, but not attending the game. The Beaver side was completely packed with the Graham side approximately 90% full. Of course, many more stood around the field to watch instead of in the stands, especially on the Beaver side. It was one of the larger crowds I can personally remember for Beaver/Graham.

I agree with that statement. I think more people were there when they unleashed the turf however... besides that my memory fails me.

I heard the comments from a lot of people that the set ups went well and I didn't hear of any fights in the parking lot like last year.

What exactly happened in the parking lot last year? I'm not saying I hear of everything, but if something would've happened I likely would've known about it! Been trying to figure this out for a while now...