Mike Compton

Lance

Now, here we have a former Richlands player.....an outstanding academic student in high school, a top notch athlete and student that graduated college, played in the NFL, successfully..... and let me guess.....with your statement above, you think he overachieved!!!

I'm suggesting you go out for a cone of your favorite ice cream and think about the "good things" in your life that directly affect you.

Edited by trublue

Guest hokiehaven

Truth hurts

ok.... Mike Compton is gone after this season. Players quitting canceled jv season... he's done.

As an alumni of Ph, I supported the hiring of Compton. I thought he would motivate kids and get the numbers out to win. But, the opposite has happened! I'm now supporting the firing. We use to average 45-50 kids. They had twenty some dressed last friday. I can't watch it anymore, we use to be competitive, have rivalries with Chilhowie, Rural Retreat; all schools of the Hogo. Those are gone? We use to beat teams like JJ Kelly? What happened? No, I think something has to change.

As an alumni of Ph, I supported the hiring of Compton. I thought he would motivate kids and get the numbers out to win. But, the opposite has happened! I'm now supporting the firing. We use to average 45-50 kids. They had twenty some dressed last friday. I can't watch it anymore, we use to be competitive, have rivalries with Chilhowie, Rural Retreat; all schools of the Hogo. Those are gone? We use to beat teams like JJ Kelly? What happened? No, I think something has to change.

Obviously the results at PH the last couple of seasons and this one as well, make it easy to say change is needed. However, i think the football progam has been headed in this direction for a lot longer than the time Mike Compton has been there. Since Coach Thomas left around a decade ago, things have been going downhill. Maybe Coach Compton took over a sinking ship?

And keep in mind, before Coach Thomas was there, success was limited. Hal Adams had a couple of good seasons in the very early 90

's but not much else to speak of for decades.

Maybe Ritchie Thomas deserves a ton of credit for what he and his kids accomplished during his days there.

JMHO.

Obviously the results at PH the last couple of seasons and this one as well, make it easy to say change is needed. However, i think the football progam has been headed in this direction for a lot longer than the time Mike Compton has been there. Since Coach Thomas left around a decade ago, things have been going downhill. Maybe Coach Compton took over a sinking ship?

And keep in mind, before Coach Thomas was there, success was limited. Hal Adams had a couple of good seasons in the very early 90

's but not much else to speak of for decades.

Maybe Ritchie Thomas deserves a ton of credit for what he and his kids accomplished during his days there.

JMHO.

I disagree. I think it is coaching. Holston suffered several years of poor coaching, but went with a young brilliant coach and look what that did. Yes, there was a good group of athletes coming through but let me remind you that Zack Titman (state champion) and Michael Thomas were no slouches. No, it took Jason Matlock to get the Jordan Blevins and others - to compliment the Pratts and Bramletts - to play football. Not just to play, but to stick with it. Trust me it took a lot of patience on Jason's part but he show tremendous resolve and that took Holston further than any other Washington County football team. No, I think Patrick Henry has the athletes to win, but dont have the right coach to get the athletes out to play. Which makes us from Damascus happy because we like beating the rebels. haha

Edited by cavdaddy

I've made this statement before just because you were a great player does not mean you are going to be a great coach. Mike only had about 3 years of coaching experience when he got the Patrick Henry job and had never been a coordinator. I think he was hired because of his playing days and not his coaching. But hard to look over a guy with 2 super bowl rings.

I disagree. I think it is coaching. Holston suffered several years of poor coaching, but went with a young brilliant coach and look what that did. Yes, there was a good group of athletes coming through but let me remind you that Zack Titman (state champion) and Michael Thomas were no slouches. No, it took Jason Matlock to get the Jordan Blevins and others - to compliment the Pratts and Bramletts - to play football. Not just to play, but to stick with it. Trust me it took a lot of patience on Jason's part but he show tremendous resolve and that took Holston further than any other Washington County football team. No, I think Patrick Henry has the athletes to win, but dont have the right coach to get the athletes out to play. Which makes us from Damascus happy because we like beating the rebels. haha

Are you kidding me? What is Holston's record this year? Oh wait a minute their record is 0-3. Are you saying that Coach Matlock is a bad coach now and they should fire him? They have great athletes on the field now, don't they? The TE is a great athlete as well as the NG, at least that is what I have been told. It looks like to me that you are contradicting yourself there crydaddy.

Edited by falconfan1

Holston and Ph is going to be a close game this year hahaha

Are you kidding me? What is Holston's record this year? Oh wait a minute their record is 0-3. Are you saying that Coach Matlock is a bad coach now and they should fire him? They have great athletes on the field now, don't they? The TE is a great athlete as well as the NG, at least that is what I have been told. It looks like to me that you are contradicting yourself there crydaddy.

Its called Graduation. We are glad to have a higher Graduation Rate than you guys also.

You are a wonderful stat guy. You should have a higher grad rate when you only have 300 people in the entire building. Prob stat class should have taught you that. I guess you have to make excuses now too? I was basically getting at the point that the coach or coaches are only as good as the talent that is around them. According to you, PH has "GREAT" athletes wondering the halls.

• 9 years later...
On 9/13/2010 at 10:56 AM, Guest hokiehaven said:

mike compton is a waste of space and human... he has destroyed PH.

That's very harsh.  Granted, I've been gone for a few years, but I don't remember PH ever being anything close to successful on a perennial basis.  How did he destroy it?

46 minutes ago, used2blarge said:

That's very harsh.  Granted, I've been gone for a few years, but I don't remember PH ever being anything close to successful on a perennial basis.  How did he destroy it?

You're replying to a 9-1/2 year old thread.  Good luck with that!