Thankful Beavers

tbgfan

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x862967682/Thankful-Beavers-practicing-football-during-Thanksgiving-week

November 23, 2010

Thankful: Beavers practicing football during Thanksgiving week

By TOM BONE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Tue Nov 23, 2010, 01:26 AM EST

BLUEFIELD — Most players on high school football teams in Four Seasons Country began Thanksgiving week thinking about playing basketball, or wrestling, or perhaps deer hunting.

The Bluefield Beavers are not like most high school teams. Along with Richlands and Honaker, the Beavers (11-1) have a playoff game awaiting this weekend.

That will require a little “team time†before personal time on Thursday.

Bluefield head coach Fred Simon said the football team will convene at 10 a.m. Thursday. The practice will be “a short one,†he said, “and then (we’ll) go spend the rest of the time being thankful for what has been given to us — and then have, hopefully, a good meal and rest, the rest of the evening.â€

The next day will include a long bus ride north to Ravenswood and a Class AA semifinal game on Friday night along the Ohio River.

Simon said that the No. 1-ranked Red Devils (12-0), who beat Roane County 48-20 last Friday, are “quick. They haven’t lost. They’re well-coached. Good linemen; quick linemen. They’ve got a good quarterback that can run and throw. Good team.â€

Monday’s practice at the high school was without pads, and lasted until the sun set behind East River Mountain. Simon liked the effort to begin week 14 of the season.

“Good and focused, and that’s all we really want today — good and focused,†he said. After preaching that the team needed to “get better†on a weekly basis, Simon said that the Beavers’ task now is to “keep going. I mean, there’s no letup. Just keep going. And hopefully, we will.â€

As the No. 4 seed in the playoffs, Bluefield had the choice of whether to play at Ravenswood on Friday or Saturday.

The championship game is on Friday night, Dec. 3, in Wheeling, and Simon said that was one factor in his choice, but not the sole consideration.

“I like Friday night games,†he said. “I just kind of think of the situation, and think what would be best, and that’s what I thought would be best.â€

Regarding injuries, Simon was upbeat. Parker Perdue and Brenton Brooks are back for duty on the line, he said.

“I think we’re going to be ready to go this week, barring any unforeseen injuries during practice this week,†he said. “You never know, but we should be, basically, 100 percent this week.â€

Life has many choices---eternity two

I just hope field conditions don't play into it... I know it did a couple years ago when Bluefield played Tyler Co (I think).

If I was Ravenswood, I'd hope for a rainy night and a muddy field.

From what I understand about Ravenswood, to use the speed and quickness of QB Cole Starchier they would benefit from a dry field as well. I think with the diversity if this Blfd. team they would handle wet conditions better than Ravenswood.

I just hope field conditions don't play into it... I know it did a couple years ago when Bluefield played Tyler Co (I think).

If I was Ravenswood, I'd hope for a rainy night and a muddy field.

I believe you're talking about Tolsia in 2006 quarterfinals.

There hadn't been an ounce of rain in a week and a half at Tolsia High School, but ironically both teams were up to their ankles in a muddy swamp. They had a fire truck flood the field, I believe.