State Championship: Richlands vs Poquoson

Nadoball

Whatcha guys think about this one................Richlands is going for their 2nd state title this decade and correct me if im wrong Poquoson is trying to get there first ever. Poquoson won a close one to get here while the Blues hammered the Bees. Thoughts and predictions? Looks as if the BullIslanders have one great defense.

Edited by Nadoball

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatcha guys think about this one................Richlands is going for their 2nd state title this decade and correct me if im wrong Poquoson is trying to get there first ever. Poquoson won a close one to get here while the Blues hammered the Bees. Thoughts and predictions? Looks as if the BullIslanders have one great defense.

Richlands wins this one 31 to 14.

Interesting (to me, at least) geographical note related to this matchup....

Poquoson is just about the only potential opponent that we could face that has to travel as far as Richlands does to Lynchburg. If Google is to be believed, the Blues are actually five miles closer.

An odd thing, but possibly enough to make a difference.

Poquoson is a run oriented team. No one has or will run the ball effectively against the blues this year. Going into the Brookeville game I had some conversations with people that suggested the Blues change the game plan. I replied and still believe that the Blues simply need to play the game that they know and make the opposition change the plan. I have had a few talks where people much more informed than I have made the satements that people have given to much credit to Richlands' opponents(I agree 100%).

This defense is the best I have watched all year. Maybe one of the best I have ever watched on this end of the state. Poquoson wont be able to open holes in the middle and I think we all agree that there is enough speed to keep the corners contained.

The offense has been physical when needed and explosive on any given play. I predict a 15 pnt plus lead at the half with the defense forcing turnovers in the second half. Richlands wins by 20 pnts plus with the subs getting plenty of action late in the game.

Richlands SHOULD win this game.

That was also true in 2005. Yet they were blown out by a team that was nowhere near as talented as they were.

The championship game in 2006 was a lot closer than it should've been.

Brookville was in a very similar situation in 2009. The Bees were loaded (led by Logan Thomas) and were playing in their own backyard. Lost a shootout that shouldn't have happened.

My point is that really weird stuff tends to happen in the Division 3 title game, and the Blues are going to have to do more than just show up. They're going to have to play smart and play well. They do that and they win. They don't, and they will struggle.

That was also true in 2005. Yet they were blown out by a team that was nowhere near as talented as they were.

Brookville was in a very similar situation in 2009. The Bees were loaded (led by Logan Thomas) and were playing in their own backyard. Lost a shootout that shouldn't have happened.

My point is that really weird stuff tends to happen in the Division 3 title game, and the Blues are going to have to do more than just show up. They're going to have to play smart and play well. They do that and they win. They don't, and they will struggle.

+1

I wish all swva teams good luck. I thought Clintwood would beat East Mont, especially in those conditions, but give credit to them for getting a big win. I think Gate City and Richlands maybe in trouble. I hope I'm wrong and would love to see them both win to represent swva football well. I just have my doubts.

Plus, Graham in 2001. It's been crazy for going on a decade now.

I agree, Richlands should probably win this one by 2 scores. I thought Brookville was their most difficult test this year, and Richlands pasted them. We'll see on Saturday.

I wish all swva teams good luck. I thought Clintwood would beat East Mont, especially in those conditions, but give credit to them for getting a big win. I think Gate City and Richlands maybe in trouble. I hope I'm wrong and would love to see them both win to represent swva football well. I just have my doubts.

People have had doubts about the Blues throughout the playoffs. I will say anyone can get beat on any given day. But with that being said; I think the blues just have to many seniors that have been there and done that. This is the best blues team to date. These guys can beat you in so many ways. The size and speed is something special. And the leadership on this team is awesome. These guys have been together for so long that they really are like a family. You pick on one you will have to deal with the entire team. The coaches may be the best in the state. They always have a good gameplan and they are able to make adjustments during the game B/O all the seniors. its just hard to beat them. I know the boy's will be ready to play come Saturday and I hope we get the W!

Good luck to the Devils as well! I hope we both bring home the hardware. Lets let the rest of the state know SWVA football is for real!

I just think the blues will roll. 2 weeks ago the islanders ran 66 total plays and 61 where runs and 65% of those where up the middle not happening with thomas and devon at lb. Blues play their game they win by what ever mance wants. Anyone that was there sat saw 5 and 2 and 6 did not want the ball anymore speed guys do not like getting hit. Also seen there number 2 back number 10 plays both ways should be a great first half our size will take over from there

Since I haven't seen either team play this year I have to go by what I have heard and read. Some of you almost had me believing Brookville was bigger, faster and stronger than Richlands, and they were no match for the Blues. Some hack wrote it was probably because Richlands got to practice in snow flurries...lol. Richlands played physical Blues football, and the Bees had no answer...period. I would venture to say Richlands would have won by two more td's if the weather had been sunny and 65 degrees. It was an awesome performance against the Brookville. Now people are saying things like

"I think Gate City and Richlands maybe in trouble. I hope I'm wrong and would love to see them both win to represent swva football well. I just have my doubts".

If Richlands comes out and plays their game, and for one time this season they control the penalties (which sometimes are out of their control if you know what I mean) this should be a Blues win, and it shouldn't be close. That said, anything can happen, and that's why Richlandsalum's post is spot on. Sometimes the best team doesn't win. But no surprise here, I'm still picking the Blues in this one.

Edited by blueinbama

Gentlemen I said I hope you guys win but unfortunately I have my doubts. I'm sure you have a fine team, I just think the quality of football from that area is better in terms of the next level. I want to see Gate City and Richlands win, but I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong. I just wouldn't be surprised if Richlands and Gate City lost. I just think there maybe better talent from those areas. I could be wrong, but not likely.

Gentlemen I said I hope you guys win but unfortunately I have my doubts. I'm sure you have a fine team, I just think the quality of football from that area is better in terms of the next level. I want to see Gate City and Richlands win, but I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong. I just wouldn't be surprised if Richlands and Gate City lost. I just think there maybe better talent from those areas. I could be wrong, but not likely.

Cav Diddy,These are two powerful football teams,and they will hammer you the hold game,and they get no respect,but after sat. people from that country above roanoke will know who the Two Big Blues teams are for sure. RHS-GCHS All these kids are NO. 1 We wish them Gods speed!

I think cavdaddy may be correct some years. Usually the teams out that way have much bigger enrolement to get thier players from and the bigger talent pools help them have much more depth, potential D-1's, etc. Moticello had approx. 600 more students and thus more players than we did and that depth helped them beat a very good Blues team. This year Pocuoson is about 120 kids bigger than the Blues and GC and Gretna are almost equal. Poquoson's only loss this year came by a great D-5 team, (Dinwiddy) and that is a concern for me. I don't know anyting about the teams they beat-- So ???

I do know this Blues team is well balanced across the board and hit like Mack trucks, run like gazells, catch like fly paper and just as important are well coached. We have depth this year like no team I can remember us having. I think this year the team out there (Poquoson) may be in trouble.

As for GC and Gretna, I know the Blue Devils will come to play and make all of Southwest Virginia proud what ever the outcome. Gretna is good so it will be a dogfight to get back with a title. Gate City's one dimensional team is a concern for me against Gretna. I will be pulling for the Blue devils all the way. I hope you can just run them over.

Edited by Gizmo777

I just dont see too many teams being as good as THIS Richlands team, much less better than they are. They have no weaknesses. They have size, speed, know how, and coaching. The only thing that worries me is the adversity factor. Can they handle a pick six, going down by 10, having to fight back. Thats the only concern. But THIS Richlands team I dont think will have to worry about that. But, they do have to play the game.

You need to check the papers. The Blues have several kids going to the next level. Not only from the senior class but the Junior class as well. I don't know who will win Saturday but the Blues are not lacking in talent!

Eenie meenie miney moe....oh, which Richlands thread is the best place too post....:D

Without a doubt, I feel safe in saying the Richlands' coaching staff is paying the utmost respect to the quality and high caliber of opponent in their preparation of the upcoming game this Saturday.

Poquoson's only loss this season is to Dinwiddie. Dinwiddie is the team Phoebus had to come from behind to beat in the 4th. qtr.

Need I say more about how the Richlands' coaching staff is approaching this game???

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing.....Mance and staff....would rather Richlands' fans NOT say things that can be used for "fodder" by the future team.

Ex: we're gonna beat XYZ by 2, 3 , 4 or take your pick TD's....the subs will be playing the second half, we're the best team "since sliced bread", etc.... "meaningless" as a wise proverbial man once said.

(Most of the postings about Richlands this week are by our fans.... talking mostly amongst ourselves....not much talk coming from others/outsiders....:))

I know there are many zealous Richlands' fans....I am, as well...(will be traveling from Atlanta to L'burg for the game); however, this game is NOT about the fans....the fans' MAIN role ..is to show up at the game and SUPPORT the Blues... which you do VERY well.

This game is about the Team, the Coaches and ALL the endless hours, hard work, pain and injuries "played through" in working toward THEIR goal, THEIR dream....the "prize" as Coach Mance called it.

Many Richlands' fans are really just spectators...."nothing truly invested, so to speak, except fan devotion "....so enjoy it....savor it....

The "good" book says...."let another praise you, and not your own mouth"... IF... the Blues do win the state championship the praises should/will follow.

“The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime.”-Babe Ruth

Edited by trublue