State Championship: Richlands vs Poquoson

Nadoball

Gentlemen I said I hope you guys win but unfortunately I have my doubts. I'm sure you have a fine team, I just think the quality of football from that area is better in terms of the next level. I want to see Gate City and Richlands win, but I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong. I just wouldn't be surprised if Richlands and Gate City lost. I just think there maybe better talent from those areas. I could be wrong, but not likely.

Talent? How much talent did Damascus have this year? Haha, not much? Theres one thing that gets Falconman and thats when people think theres no talent this side of Roanoke. I've been after the naders all year long but will say they do have talent. I think the Falcons do also and gave them a heck of a game. I'm sure all will agree that we played them tougher than Gate City. Speaking of Gate, they also have talent (if they didn't they wouldn't still be playing). I'm tired of people like you saying teams like the Falcons, Naders, and Devils cant compete with teams Roanoke and beyond. Talent? Is there any in Damascus?

Ps: Hey naders remember the Falcons might didn't get you in football, but we WILL in basketball, baseball, track, soccer, etc.

Edited by Falconman

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talent? How much talent did Damascus have this year? Haha, not much? Theres one thing that gets Falconman and thats when people think theres no talent this side of Roanoke. I've been after the naders all year long but will say they do have talent. I think the Falcons do also and gave them a heck of a game. I'm sure all will agree that we played them tougher than Gate City. Speaking of Gate, they also have talent (if they didn't they wouldn't still be playing). I'm tired of people like you saying teams like the Falcons, Naders, and Devils cant compete with teams Roanoke and beyond. Talent? Is there any in Damascus?

Ps: Hey naders remember the Falcons might didn't get you in football, but we WILL in basketball, baseball, track, soccer, etc.

You are so funny! But I have to agree with you on being tired of hearing SWVA can not compete. All our schools have tons of talent!! I hope both RHS and GC bring home the hardware and leave no doubt to the talent of the SWVA.

That may be the first post I agreed with more than 50% of what you said.

Poquoson leads All-Bay Rivers Disrict football with 10 first-team selections

Poquoson High, which won the Bay Rivers District football title, dominated the all-district team selected by the cocahes with 10 first-team selections. In addition, Islanders linebacker Luke Hill was named the Defensive Player of the Year and Elliot Duty was named the Division 3 Coach of the Year.

Bruton quarterback was selected the Offensive Player of the Year, while Grafton Coach of the Year. The all-district team is list below. Please note it is not listed in finishing order of voting.

ALL-BAY RIVERS DISTRICT FOOTBALL

OFFENSE

Name School Height Weight Class

Guards

1st Team Martin Shealey Bruton 6'0" 215 SR

1st Team Dustin Edwards Poquoson 6'0" 240 JR

2nd Team Mitch Magee Grafton 6'1"Guards 210 SR

2nd Team Hayden Crocket York 6'4" 285 JR

Tackles

1st Team Nate Rhea Poquoson 6'0" 240 JR

1st Team Trayvon Tynes Smithfield 6'1" 309 SR

2nd Team Graeme McKnight Lafayette 5'10" 230 JR

2nd Team Peter Park Grafton 6'3" 235 JR

Running Backs

1st Team Demonte' McClary Smithfield 6'1" 225 SR

1st Team Will Capers Lafayette 5'10" 205 JR

1st Team Storm Parker New Kent 5'9" 175 JR

2nd Team Cody Hutchison Poquoson 5'9" 170 SR

2nd Team Luke Hill Poquoson 6'0" 200 SR

2nd Team Brandon Jones Lafayette 5'11" 180 SR

Quarterbacks

1st Team Elliot Rice Bruton 5'10" 180 SR

2nd Team Joe Cibrin Grafton 6'4" 190 SR

Receivers

1st Team Thomas Smith Lafayette 6'4" 220 JR

1st Team Dylan Stallings Grafton 6'4" 210 JR

2nd Team De'Arius Olvis Bruton 6'1" 200 JR

2nd Team Zack Osgood Warhill 5'9" 160 SR

Tight Ends

1st Team William Haskins Poquoson 6'2" 230 SR

2nd Team Brad Myers York 6'1" 195 JR

Centers

1st Team Nick Kepa Lafayette 5'10" 230 JR

2nd Team Tony Allsbrook Poquoson 5'10" 235

ALL-BAY RIVERS DISTRICT DEFENSE

Name School Height Weight Class

Defensive Linemen

1st Team Stephen Boyer Poquoson 6'2" 260 SR

1st Team Baxter Bristow Poquoson 6'0" 220 SR

1st Team Peter Park Grafton 6'3" 235 JR

2nd Team Nick Kepa Lafayette 5'10" 230 JR

2nd Team Aaron Macfarlane Tabb 6'2" 230 SR

2nd Team Zack Emerson Smithfield 6'2" 270 SR

Defensive Ends

1st Team Dylan Stallings Grafton 6'4" 210 JR

2nd Team Brannon Waters Lafayette 6'3" 250 JR

2nd Team Thomas St. John Tabb 6'3" 195 SR

Linebackers

1st Team Ian Haislip Tabb 6'1" 205 SR

1st Team De'Arius Olvis Bruton 6'1" 200 JR

1st Team Thomas Garris Poquoson 5'10" 200 SR

1st Team Luke Hill Poquoson 6'0" 200 SR

2nd Team Robbie Hiser Grafton 6'0" 200 JR

2nd Team Joe Nelson Tabb 5'11" 220 JR

2nd Team Dylan Hill Poquoson 6'1" 170 JR

2nd Team Rodney Taylor Lafayette 5'10" 172 SR

Defensive Backs

1st Team Kapri Doucet Bruton 5'11" 175 FRESH

1st Team Tee McConnell Poquoson 5'9" 160 SR

1st Team Jay Diggs Poquoson 5'8" 155 SR

1st Team Brandon Jones Lafayette 5'11" 180 SR

2nd Team Marcus Spearman Grafton 6'0" 170 SOPH

2nd Team Marcus Paige Lafayette 6'3" 210 SR

2nd Team Anthony Honey York 5'9" 170 JR

2nd Team Austin Smith Poquoson 6'1" 160 SR

ALL-BAY RIVERS DISTRICT SPECIAL TEAMS

Punters

1st Team Thomas St. John Tabb 6'3" 195 SR

2nd Team R.J. Ross Grafton 6'1" 195 SR

Kickers

1st Team Johnnie Howell York 5'11" 150 SR

2nd Team Michael Lutz Poquoson 5'10" 200 SR

Kick Returners

1st Team Brandon Jones Lafayette 5'11" 180 SR

2nd Team Zack Osgood Warhill 5'9" 160 SR

Offensive Player of the Year

Elliot Rice Bruton 5'10" 180 SR

Defensive Player of the Year

Luke Hill 10 Poquoson 6'0" 200 SR

Coach of the Year Division 3

Elliott Duty Poquoson

Coach of the Year Division 4

Van Acker Grafton

Honorable Mention

Name School

Alex Johnston York

Tre Thomas York

Kyon Croker Smithfield

Marquis Childress Smithfield

Carlos Coronado Lafayette

Scott Smethurst Lafayette

Ryan Szczypinski Jamestown

Cameron Nirmaier Jamestown

Nick Cawthon Bruton

Brent Spencer Bruton

Shawn Cvengros Warhill

Alex Tremblay Warhill

Aaron Wallace Grafton

Deangelo Harrison Grafton

Zack Kezar Tabb

Andrew Junio Tabb

Garrett Metheny New Kent

Hunter Stewart New Kent

Evan Lemon Poquoson

Russell Thornburg Poquoson

Life has many choices---eternity two

You know what i think about it?

I heard the weather at Liberty University around 12:30-3:30 is going to be:

90% of Poquoson turnovers

100% chance of Blue Tornado touchdowns

100% chance of Blue Tornado defensive romp

and a 200% chance of Richlands becoming state champions.

good luck blue we're pullin for ya

I've sit here and read the post, and almost see a repeat of last week, with the exception of a few. I am one Blues fan who congraduates Poquoson on their season and the fact that they have made it to the championship game. All us down to earth true Blue fans look forward to seeing all of you in Lynchburg, and I for one think it will be a great game.

The first time I remember anyone having to travel as far as the SWD teams to play this game. I feel the Blues have great talent and plenty of it, (it has been proven), but I would venture to guess that Poquoson has plenty of talent too. That is how it should be, the best playing the best, and you can not say you are the best until you beat the best.

Poquoson, I wish you the best, but I feel the Blues will leave Lynchburg with the State Championship trophy and be able to say they defeated the best.

I think GC will prevail, and then all you naysayers will have to humbly profess, "Yes, Virginia, there is football west of Roanoke."

I've sit here and read the post, and almost see a repeat of last week, with the exception of a few. I am one Blues fan who congraduates Poquoson on their season and the fact that they have made it to the championship game. All us down to earth true Blue fans look forward to seeing all of you in Lynchburg, and I for one think it will be a great game.

The first time I remember anyone having to travel as far as the SWD teams to play this game. I feel the Blues have great talent and plenty of it, (it has been proven), but I would venture to guess that Poquoson has plenty of talent too. That is how it should be, the best playing the best, and you can not say you are the best until you beat the best.

Poquoson, I wish you the best, but I feel the Blues will leave Lynchburg with the State Championship trophy and be able to say they defeated the best.

I think GC will prevail, and then all you naysayers will have to humbly profess, "Yes, Virginia, there is football west of Roanoke."

+1

I hope Richlands can stay focused and not think they got this wrapped up, Poquoson should not be taken litely, they played several Division 4 teams and Division 5 Dinwiddie, only 3 of their regular season games were against Division 3 opponents. Richlands is goin to have to be more physical up front and smack them right in the mouth on both sides of the ball, if they play their A game they should win this game though. Good Luck Blues!!!

That may be the first post I agreed with more than 50% of what you said.

Except for this ridiculous statement...but you do have to consider the source...lol!

I'm sure all will agree that we played them tougher than Gate City.

The Gate City score was 3-0 at the half. The Abingdon game was over at halftime.

Except for this ridiculous statement...but you do have to consider the source...lol!

The Gate City score was 3-0 at the half. The Abingdon game was over at halftime.

Yeah, that was definitely under the part I didn't agree with.

Dusty didn't play, and that's a big part of the team. Does GC win? Nope! (okay i promise never again)

Why do folks keep bringing up how much talent each region has? GC isn't playing region B, they are playing Gretna. They are formidable, they are not the the same team as 07, neither is GC. We (GC) heard all the same stuff last week, and Radford couldn't stop the passing attack/ winning td :)

Richlands isn't playing the entire region either. I think there aren't many teams out there with the talent the Blues have. The problem when facing Richlands is they can play you at least 2 ways. They can play smashmouth, or they can just outrun you.

I don't know a thing about Poquoson, but i have confidence Richlands can win this one.

GC may have their hands a little more full, but the Hawks don't seem to have the one thing that has hurt GC in their two losses, and that is a big physical, quick defensive line that has shutfolks out all year. Gretna has been giving up points, the 07 team was blowing everyone out 50-0. If it is a shootout then i like GC's chances. I also think GC's defensive speed will suprise a lot of folks at Salem Saturday. Miller has 1900yds rushing this year, and that is definately a concern, but GC has rushed for much more from the two-headed RB combo and has passed for 1,000 too.

I don't do predictions if i haven't seen both teams, but i like the chances of bringing 2 state titles to SWVA.

Guards

1st Team Dustin Edwards Poquoson 6'0" 240 JR

Tackles

1st Team Nate Rhea Poquoson 6'0" 240 JR

Running Backs

2nd Team Cody Hutchison Poquoson 5'9" 170 SR

2nd Team Luke Hill Poquoson 6'0" 200 SR

Tight Ends

Centers

2nd Team Tony Allsbrook Poquoson 5'10" 235

Defensive Linemen

1st Team Stephen Boyer Poquoson 6'2" 260 SR

1st Team Baxter Bristow Poquoson 6'0" 220 SR

Defensive Ends

Linebackers

1st Team Thomas Garris Poquoson 5'10" 200 SR

1st Team Luke Hill Poquoson 6'0" 200 SR

2nd Team Dylan Hill Poquoson 6'1" 170 JR

Defensive Backs

1st Team Tee McConnell Poquoson 5'9" 160 SR

1st Team Jay Diggs Poquoson 5'8" 155 SR

2nd Team Austin Smith Poquoson 6'1" 160 SR

Kickers

2nd Team Michael Lutz Poquoson 5'10" 200 SR

Defensive Player of the Year

Luke Hill 10 Poquoson 6'0" 200 SR

Honorable Mention

Evan Lemon Poquoson

Russell Thornburg Poquoson

Life has many choices---eternity two

Looking at the players who made all-district for the Islanders--it appears to me their strength lies with their defense. They have eight first-teamers and two second-teamers on the defensive side of the ball. I see that Haskins made first team on both sides of the ball, TE and DE. Also, Hill the Defensive POY also made it on the other side as a second team RB.

They appear to have speed and also can lower their shoulder to get the extra yards. Watching highlights of the Handley game, it appeared the Judges weren't wrapping up the runners, doing a lot of arm tackling. I think the Blues won't have that problem, limiting the Islanders big play ability.

Will it be easy--absolutely not, but I feel as a whole, with our seniors being there before, having played before large crowds, our depth, our coaching staff, IF WE KEEP PENALTIES AND TO'S to a minimum, or hopefully none, the Blues can once again claim the championship trophy.

Praying for safe travel for all fans, Blues and Islanders--can't wait until Saturday.

Dusty didn't play, and that's a big part of the team. Does GC win? Nope! (okay i promise never again)

Why do folks keep bringing up how much talent each region has? GC isn't playing region B, they are playing Gretna. They are formidable, they are not the the same team as 07, neither is GC. We (GC) heard all the same stuff last week, and Radford couldn't stop the passing attack/ winning td :)

Richlands isn't playing the entire region either. I think there aren't many teams out there with the talent the Blues have. The problem when facing Richlands is they can play you at least 2 ways. They can play smashmouth, or they can just outrun you.

I don't know a thing about Poquoson, but i have confidence Richlands can win this one.

GC may have their hands a little more full, but the Hawks don't seem to have the one thing that has hurt GC in their two losses, and that is a big physical, quick defensive line that has shutfolks out all year. Gretna has been giving up points, the 07 team was blowing everyone out 50-0. If it is a shootout then i like GC's chances. I also think GC's defensive speed will suprise a lot of folks at Salem Saturday. Miller has 1900yds rushing this year, and that is definately a concern, but GC has rushed for much more from the two-headed RB combo and has passed for 1,000 too.

I don't do predictions if i haven't seen both teams, but i like the chances of bringing 2 state titles to SWVA.

GC is one of the toughest teams the Blues have played this year..! I think you guy's will bring home the hardware if you have your head in the game. The only way GC does not bring home the hardware is if you beat yourself. Good luck to the Devils and the Blues!!

but the thing is, is can we keep up with them? you know most teams past ronoake have a lot more speed then teams down here do

but the thing is, is can we keep up with them? you know most teams past ronoake have a lot more speed then teams down here do

Seriously! Miller can fly i've seen him, but he is little/smallish and can he take a few thumps? He may be able to take a 100, i don't know. I hope we get to see. If GC takes the ball and grinds it out and scores, he can't run the ball when we have it.

Gate City is tough year end year out, and even if they are down a little from time to time, you know you have played a game when you play them. I think GC and RHS both will bring home the championship trophies if they continue to be as intense as they have been. Desire has a lot to do with the game of football, and I think both teams are hungry for another state title.

Good old fashion smash mouth football SWD style can make a speedster think twice before running the ball. I know that both GC and the Blues will be bringing the sledge hammers down on their opponets, and no matter who you are, you can not endure the intensity all game long.

Ask Brookville and Radford about how good their speed played out for them, and remember the tortise and the hair---I'll take the tortise any day.

Good luck to both teams, and I hope everyone from this area will support both of you, except for Falconman and Southbound who will always be Falcons forever (which means Falosers forever.):p

Seriously! Miller can fly i've seen him, but he is little/smallish and can he take a few thumps? He may be able to take a 100, i don't know. I hope we get to see. If GC takes the ball and grinds it out and scores, he can't run the ball when we have it.

Someone is gonna have to step up on defense. I'd say this is gonna be high scoring.

Someone is gonna have to step up on defense. I'd say this is gonna be high scoring.

All I want, is for Gate City to lay the Smack down on their candy____, open the whole can of whoop ___ , and for good measure, maybe even drop a peoples elbow on em this weekend.......LOL !

Go Blue Devils !

All I want, is for Gate City to lay the Smack down on their candy____, open the whole can of whoop ___ , and for good measure, maybe even drop a peoples elbow on em this weekend.......LOL !

Go Blue Devils !

Have you been watching WWE on Demand? LOL

I'm pulling for GC all the way in this one. They will bring the heat, and like the Blues they have been there before. I agree that the Miller kid is fast, but I don't think he is strong enough to hold up to the hitting of the GC defence, and if you want to call that smack down I don't care, it will be a shock to Miller when he picks himself up off the turf.

I think the best game, (which I know will not happen) would be the Blues and GC playing again this time for the State title. Both teams with all players healthy at this time of year would make for a better game, and the intensity would be astronmical.

Go Blue Devils.......Go Blues......(2) state champions on this end of the state, the naysayers in Roanoke would choke, and maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing.;)

I hope Richlands can stay focused and not think they got this wrapped up, Poquoson should not be taken litely, they played several Division 4 teams and Division 5 Dinwiddie, only 3 of their regular season games were against Division 3 opponents. Richlands is goin to have to be more physical up front and smack them right in the mouth on both sides of the ball, if they play their A game they should win this game though. Good Luck Blues!!!

Good post RoughRider97: If the players are as cocky about this game as our posters are then we have already lost it. The Poquoson team is good or they would not be there. They only lost to a powerhouse team in Dinwiddie and have beaten several good D-4 teams out there on that end of the state as well as beat Handley, which lost in the finals last year. I think this Blues team could match up with any team we have ever played in the State Tournament but if they are not ready to play and think we have it won already we may be in trouble. I wish our fans would wait until after the game to start saying best team ever and that crap. If they win Saturday then speculate all you want but if they lose then whow what a bunch of fools we have been. These statements about how great we are is not helping the team and thats what fans should do, help the team. My Opinion.

Good post RoughRider97: If the players are as cocky about this game as our posters are then we have already lost it. The Poquoson team is good or they would not be there. They only lost to a powerhouse team in Dinwiddie and have beaten several good D-4 teams out there on that end of the state as well as beat Handley, which lost in the finals last year. I think this Blues team could match up with any team we have ever played in the State Tournament but if they are not ready to play and think we have it won already we may be in trouble. I wish our fans would wait until after the game to start saying best team ever and that crap. If they win Saturday then speculate all you want but if they lose then whow what a bunch of fools we have been. These statements about how great we are is not helping the team and thats what fans should do, help the team. My Opinion.

in 2005 the entire town was celebrating a state championship before the players even got on the bus. Let alone off of it. And of course when they did get off the bus they lost to a team they were favored against. A team that's a lot like the one the play this Saturday. I've always believed that despite the efforts of the coaches, and even the players themselves, the team will take on the attitude of the community. Not intentionally of course, but it's hard to ignore. Ideally the players would stay away from the boards, and that's what the coaches would like them to do, but that's like asking them to give up thier cell phones. It ain't going to happen.