Bluefield's Schedule

Guest Highlanders

Guest Highlanders

The VHSL foundation game between Bluefield & Pulaski County will be on August 19, 2011

at Kenneth J. Dobson Stadium in Dublin, VA. It's about like that foundation game in which

Graham hosted Pulaski County in 2001 & 2003 at Mitchell Stadium. 7:30 is the start time and tickets are I think either $6 or $3.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The VHSL foundation game between Bluefield & Pulaski County will be on August 19, 2011

at Kenneth J. Dobson Stadium in Dublin, VA. It's about like that foundation game in which

Graham hosted Pulaski County in 2001 & 2003 at Mitchell Stadium. 7:30 is the start time and tickets are I think either $6 or $3.

No $hit, Sherlock...

Bluefield will scrimmage Pulaski on the 19th in a VHSL foundation game....

That is interesting. Gate City will scrimmage PC either Aug. 12th or 13th. Have heard rumor that it will be at Emory and Henry and involve 4 teams as a Jamboree. The teams are Central(Wise), Castlewood, Gate City, and Pulaski County. This has not been confirmed but I hope so.

But to get back to the Bluefield subject. Can someone tell me if Bluefield returns many from last years team? Does Bluefield look to compete for the WVA AA State Title again this Fall? Just give me a nice breakdown on the 2011 Bluefield Varsity Football Team please.

But to get back to the Bluefield subject. Can someone tell me if Bluefield returns many from last years team? Does Bluefield look to compete for the WVA AA State Title again this Fall? Just give me a nice breakdown on the 2011 Bluefield Varsity Football Team please.

Some experience is returning but they have some holes to fill, too....

That is interesting. Gate City will scrimmage PC either Aug. 12th or 13th. Have heard rumor that it will be at Emory and Henry and involve 4 teams as a Jamboree. The teams are Central(Wise), Castlewood, Gate City, and Pulaski County.

Does Castlewood like getting their butts kicked?

I can respect playing tough teams but PC and GC are WAY out of Castlewoods league, Central is actually gonna be alot better than Cwood too. They will get killed in that schrimmage!

Edited by redtiger

If there is a year that Bluefield will not be contending, this could be the one. Not much at all is coming back. They lost 4 of 5 lineman, qb, rb, wideouts, and most of the defense. They do have some really good underclassman who got some pt in the blow out games last year. The QB will be a sophomore, the RB will be a sophomore and the line will be inexperienced. What will hurt them the most will be the schedule. Adding another private school from NC is a test and only having 9 games may hurt.

plus their schedule is very tough this year. Freddy may have put them OUT of the playoffs this year with that schedule.

Well, when no one else will play Bluefield, they have to find games in order to have a chance to make the playoffs!

Well, when no one else will play Bluefield, they have to find games in order to have a chance to make the playoffs!

In defense of some of the teams listed before for "not wanting to play Bluefield"....like some of the VA schools in the NRV...etc... They have no reason to schedule Bluefield, most of these schools have their schedules locked to 10 games in advance. Plus there are plenty of quality teams to play within a reasonable driving distance, no need to travel to Bluefield or vice versa.

I would be pissed at Mt. View for being such wuss's and backing out of a series against Bluefield that's a short trip for both schools.

Hopefully, they'll get this straightened out soon. This seems to be an ongoing issue for Bluefield.....

Who is the A.D. over there? He / She needs to lock in somebody reliable, so you don't have to go through this every year...

And why in the world do they not play Pikeview EVERY year, is beyond me..... Somebody higher up in the county needs to make sure this happens every flippin year...that's just ridiculous...

What about RiverView?? What the heck are they thinking??? Bluefield would've been the first school I would've contacted for their out of district scheduling after the consolidation. What's the mentality over there?

What the heck are any of them thinking. Are they seriously this afraid to play Bluefield?

How many patsies can these schools try to schedule....Oh yeah...they ARE the patsies...because they don't play tough competition.

Ohhh....another thing....Why in the heck did Tazewell pick up Blacksburg, and not Bluefield?? That's non-sensical, if you think about it..

..or Giles for that matter? If they want to beef up their schedule...why drive past Bluefield to go to Giles...knowing that Bluefield needs games.?

The schools could work "open dates" around to make it happen, don't be fooled. That can't be used as an excuse, either.

Edited by futbolking

They have considered them...have attempted to schedule some of them but there is no interest from the VA schools...kinda the same with WV AA schools...

The Virginia schools mentioned don't "need" to schedule Bluefield...they have plenty of schools nearby and plenty of quality competition...Not sure what the excuse is for the WV schools.

This is what I've got for Bluefield's current schedule: Is this correct?

08/26 7:30 PM Graham (Bluefield, VA)

09/02 @ Princeton (Princeton, WV)

09/09 @ Greenbrier East (Lewisburg, WV)

09/16 Charlotte Country Day (Charlotte, NC)

09/23 @ Charlotte Latin (Charlotte, NC)

09/30 7:30 PM @ Gate City (Gate City, VA)

10/21 7:30 PM @ Oak Hill (Oak Hill, WV)

10/28 James Monroe (Lindside, WV) *

11/04 Wayne (Wayne, WV)

Edited by futbolking

This thread is funny to read... everyone fears the mighty Beavers!!! Pfftt ... I have saw some things in the posts that make sense as to why Tazewell would drive past Bluefield to play Giles and things like that. Giles is still a quality program but they don't seem to be the program they once were, but seriously it is funny me that all you Bluefield fans seem to view yourselves as the big bad wolf.Maybe some of the schools don't add Bluefield to their schedule because they simply don't NEED to.. ever thought of that? Just because you NEED games on your schedule doesn't mean everyone else does.While as I stated I can't defend all these programs for their reasons for not playing them, get over yourselves a bit.....

I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but there is no reason two of the best teams in the area year in and year out shouldn't be playing each other. The students and fans would love to have Richlands and Bluefield play every year, and the stadiums would be filled to capacity. The atmosphere was always electric. There is no excuse for it. If you're gonna say the officiating is unfair, then hire officials from North Carolina or Tennessee or Kentucky to referee the games, but this needs to be fixed. The fans and students of both schools are being cheated.

Edited by blueinbama

I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but there is no reason two of the best teams in the area year in and year out shouldn't be playing each other. The students and fans would love to have Richlands and Bluefield play every year, and the stadiums would be filled to capacity. The atmosphere was always electric. There is no excuse for it. If you're gonna say the officiating is unfair, then hire officials from North Carolina or Tennessee or Kentucky to referee the games, but this needs to be fixed. The fans and students of both schools are being cheated.

only one school from the va side has played beaver year in and year out win or lose the game always is played and no area schools can draw a crowd like graham vs beaver. no one in this area comes close.

True..... Graham used to bring good crowds to away games as well....(like Richlands does nowadays)....

I do think some of the WV schools are ducking Bluefield, but I just don't understand why....They're a good team, but they are not unbeatable.

True..... Graham used to bring good crowds to away games as well....(like Richlands does nowadays)....

I do think some of the WV schools are ducking Bluefield, but I just don't understand why....They're a good team, but they are not unbeatable.

i think it is because in years past when blfd had some of their best teams they had the tendencies to run up the scores on teams and they remember this and now do not want to play them because of this fact.i have seen blfd beat ghs like 62 to very little years ago. then they could have named the score.

I don't think teams look at Bluefield as unbeatable. People need to look at it a little more different. Richlands will drive past Bluefield to go to Pulaski, did anyone call them out? No. Coach Simon even stated in the paper he would love to add them to the schedule, they just got to call. The VA point system is different. Richlands will get more points from Pulaski than Bluefield, unless Pulaski bombs every year. The "local" teams in WV that won't schedule Bluefield look at some what the same way. They may think that playing Bluefield is a loss to them. If you look at their records, they are usually one or two losses away from being knocked out of the playoffs. To them that is the first goal. If they have to meet Bluefield in the playoffs then so be it. Teams are not scared of them, they just look at the "big picture" for their team first. Coach Damewood at Pikeview made a statement in the paper a while back similar. He is trying to build a team and he will slowly add stiffer competition. You have to build confidence before you can build a team. The other schools see each year a 6-4 record and say one more loss then no playoffs. Richlands goes for more points and Tazewell may as well, Giles may give more points than Bluefield if they have a decent record.

I am all about playing the better teams to make your team better, which Coach Simon does. But you have to look at the whole picture first. I think Coach Simon likes the challenge of the teams he plays each year. I am sure he would prefer a full schedule, but you have to take what you can. This year for Bluefield the schedule may do them in, but consistently it helps a lot. A 6-4 year for Bluefield makes them much more strong when it comes playoff time. The teams from Charlotte will expose their weaknesses and show them where they need to get better. And they will know what it feels like to get hit in the mouth.

Every team has a different mentality when it comes to schedules, and I don't think people duck Bluefield because they are scared. They just look at the big picture first.

Just how long do they need to paint this picture???

As far as Richlands driving past Bluefield to play Pulaski....that's o.k...but this is the first time I remember them playing Pulaski...also, why don't they head in the opposite direction of Honaker and Lebanon and drive towards Bluefield, I'm sure they'd get more points off of a win over Bluefield... Richlands isn't still painting pictures....Somebody needs to make that game happen. Would be a good game and a good gate for both schools.

Edited by futbolking

86-0 scores tend to piss coaches off. Sorry, Beavers, but other schools can just take their ball and go home.

Freddy Simon should've taken a lesson from Carlock on that one.

Edited by UVAObserver

86-0 scores tend to piss coaches off. Sorry, Beavers, but other schools can just take their ball and go home.

Freddy Simon should've taken a lesson from Carlock on that one.

my point exactly and well said uvaobserver. no matter how you look at it getting blown out of a game when a team has the game well in hand only has the effect of teams not wanting to continue the games in the future, points or no points. and i do not think that ghs playing beaver has ever hurt ghs in the point system over the years when carlock was alive and coaching. seems ghs made the playoffs many years even when beaver beat ghs. so saying rhs would not benifit from playing beaver because of the points i do not think is a real valid point when rhs is playing single a teams in va. they need to get off their respective cans and start playing blfd. otherwise people will always say rhs is afraid to play them on a regular basis. wether or not that is the reason or not it will look that way to many.

my point exactly and well said uvaobserver. no matter how you look at it getting blown out of a game when a team has the game well in hand only has the effect of teams not wanting to continue the games in the future, points or no points. and i do not think that ghs playing beaver has ever hurt ghs in the point system over the years when carlock was alive and coaching. seems ghs made the playoffs many years even when beaver beat ghs. so saying rhs would not benifit from playing beaver because of the points i do not think is a real valid point when rhs is playing single a teams in va. they need to get off their respective cans and start playing blfd. otherwise people will always say rhs is afraid to play them on a regular basis. wether or not that is the reason or not it will look that way to many.

Gate City won the State Championship last year despite losing to the Beavers in mid season. So it certainly does not hurt anything to play them it looks like.

Gate City won the State Championship last year despite losing to the Beavers in mid season. So it certainly does not hurt anything to play them it looks like.

that is what i am saying it does not do anything but actually help to play blfd. this is a team that has won many state titles in wv. they no matter how much you may dislike them are a excellent team. cannot take that from them. so only benifit a team to play them, so why drive to pulaski to play a game when you have a team like the beavers much closer. this argument of points just to me does not work. i do not understand va. point system but if for nothing else playing such a good team prepares you for the playoff run that every team hopes to make. so what is the real reason rhs will not put them on their schedule every year like ghs does. ghs does not back away from any team over the years, they have gone to tenn. ( greenville) to play teams. just dont understand the logic coming out of richlands on the blfd. game. guess i never will.

It doesn't help the WV schools to play Bluefield because you get a big, fat zero for a loss in the ratings points in WV...that is why they don't play Bluefield....