Bluefield's Schedule

Guest Highlanders

If Mount View EVER wants to be a quality team, they sure as heck better start thinking that they deserve to be on the field with Bluefield...that mentality is what has gotten them where they're at.

They might want to try to build up to that level. I just dont think a team getting the crap kicked out of them helps them become a better team. Being challenged is good, getting slaughtered does nothing imo

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See not to me, to me thats just a sound beating, they were just better. If they would have kept the starters in all of the 3rd quarter then that would have been embarassing. They beat Bluefield but didnt "rub their noses in it". jmo

They did leave their starters in for the 3rdQ...except for the D-1 QB they had...

They might want to try to build up to that level. I just dont think a team getting the crap kicked out of them helps them become a better team. Being challenged is good, getting slaughtered does nothing imo

You obviously don't know MV football...they used to be very good until the past few seasons...dwindling enrollment, lack of discipline, and poor coaching led to their downfall. At one time, within the last 25 years, they were a WV AAA power...

As a matter of fact...

Mount View beat Bluefield 20-16 in 2006, lost 21-13 in 2005, lost 17-14 in 2004, and beat Bluefield in 2001. They were no "cupcake" until recent seasons.

If Bluefield is 60+ points better than some of these schools why would they want to play them anyway?

Oh and Richlands putting up 61 points on Tazewell is kinda excessived but thats 1 game in alot of years.

I can't say for sure but I know within the last few years there was a certain line coach at Tazewell.... that "sent" word to Richlands that he "had something for them", that may have been they game you were referring too, yea running up the score isn't very good sportmanship, but stirring up the hornets nest unnecessarily is just plain stupid.

G-man - I know very little about WV football, a little basic info about the schools is pretty much it. I was very reluctant to post regarding Bluefield in the first place because I know so little about football up there.

The schedules section of this site shows MV as having an enrollment of 345, that seems small for a AA and too small for a AAA. What happened to cause the enrollment drop? Natural decline? New school open?

Ditto - There is definately no need to motivate Richlands. I just dont think its right letting a personal beef between coaches translate to the field. Shake his hand after the game and look him in the eye and he will know that you could have dropped 70 on him. No need to take it out on the kids

Edited by redtiger

I know they are a consolidated school, the "new" school. But I find it hard to believe that enrollment just dropped from a AAA level to barely AA over the course of just a few years.

I thought maybe Riverview drew off some of MV students, similar to what happened to Cave Spring when Hidden Valley opened.

Edited by redtiger

The schedules section of this site shows MV as having an enrollment of 345, that seems small for a AA and too small for a AAA. What happened to cause the enrollment drop? Natural decline? New school open?

McDowell County's population has bottomed out in the last 30 years...somewhat similar to Buchanan County, but worse...

1980: 49,899

1990: 35,233

2000: 27,329

2010: 22,113

When Mount View was built in the late 70s, three schools were consolidated (Welch, Gary, and Northfork), and it had a total enrollment of over 1,000 students.

Jobs left McDowell County when the coal industry went bust in the 80s and they never returned. Add to that several major floods over the last 30 years, the population plummetted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDowell_County,_West_Virginia

Dickenson has been affected by the decline of the coal industry but not to the extent of Buchannon Co and no where near as bad as McDowell.

1980: 49,899

1990: 35,233

2000: 27,329

2010: 22,113

Thats a huge drop in population, Dc has declined but "bottomed out" is the right way to put it.

• 3 weeks later...