145 : Zach Epperly (Cb) pin. Channing Elswick (Gru), 1:43

152 : James Linkous (Cb) dec. Cody Rife (Gru), 9-4

160 : Rich Eva (Cb) forf. Jordan McCowan (Gru), flu

171 : Tyler Miles (Cb) pin. Tyler McClanahan (Gru), 3:2

189 : Ryan Wade (Cb) dec. Tanner McClanahan (Gru), 7-3

215 : Jake McCowan (Gru) dec. Brandon Taylor (Cb), 3-1

285 : Marquis Porterfield (Cb) pin. Tanner Marshall (Gru), 3:37

Edited by VHSLhelper

No big surprise here. Christiansburg is head and shoulders above anyone in the state in AA. It will be quite some time before anyone comes close to them. I really thought Grundy would not lay down this bad though.

No big surprise here. Christiansburg is head and shoulders above anyone in the state in AA. It will be quite some time before anyone comes close to them. I really thought Grundy would not lay down this bad though.

they dont seem to ever put up much against CB's bunch of transfers from all over the USA until state...see how it goes then when it counts i guess.

Christiansburg 60, Grundy 9

103 : Kyle Delaney (Cb) pin. Austin Hurley (Gru), 0:38

112 : JR Wert (Cb) Austin Compton (Gru), 0:39

119 : Jacob Vaughn (Cb) pin. Dylan Raines (Gru), 0:56

125 : Sean VanDyke (Gru) pin. Gabe Lumpp (Cb), 1:24

130 : Joey Dance (Cb) dec. Jeremy Hurley (Gru), 3-2

135 : Logan Bosley (Cb) pin. Dakota Vance (Gru), 2:14

140 : Brady Epperly (Cb) dec. Justin Street (Gru), 11-4

145 : Zach Epperly (Cb) pin. Channing Elswick (Gru), 1:43

152 : James Linkous (Cb) dec. Cody Rife (Gru), 9-4

160 : Rich Eva (Cb) forf. Jordan McCowan (Gru), flu

171 : Tyler Miles (Cb) pin. Tyler McClanahan (Gru), 3:2

189 : Ryan Wade (Cb) dec. Tanner McClanahan (Gru), 7-3

215 : Jake McCowan (Gru) dec. Brandon Taylor (Cb), 3-1

285 : Marquis Porterfield (Cb) pin. Tanner Marshall (Gru), 3:37

There is a big difference in Tourny teams and dual teams for sure but looking at Cburg I see the possibility they could win a lot of region and state individual championships Wert, Dance, Epperly, Epperly, Linkous, Eva, Mils and Porterfield, plus I think they will finish top 4 region at all 14. Grundy should have been able to keep this one a little closer though I would have thought one of the McClanahan's would win and for sure didn't think one would get pinned

With the national attention that the Cburg program draws I really dont blame parents from wanting to transfer their kids there. They have alot of kids that go on to college with partial or full rides. I am not knocking the Grundy program neither but its hard for any school in this or many other states to compete with Cburg. They are pretty solid across the board minus a couple of weights. Hopefully Grundy will compete better at regionals and states.

With the national attention that the Cburg program draws I really dont blame parents from wanting to transfer their kids there. They have alot of kids that go on to college with partial or full rides. I am not knocking the Grundy program neither but its hard for any school in this or many other states to compete with Cburg. They are pretty solid across the board minus a couple of weights. Hopefully Grundy will compete better at regionals and states.

they can thank Grundy for that...if Grundy had not built its program up to begin with CB would be like every other team around here.

they can thank Grundy for that...if Grundy had not built its program up to begin with CB would be like every other team around here.

I agree 100%. Grundy is still one of the top 4 or 5 programs in the state. They dont have the the added benefit of all the transfers that CB has and that is the differences in the programs. But I dont blame parents for moving there or Grundy for that matter to put their kids in great programs that get national exposure.

I agree 100%. Grundy is still one of the top 4 or 5 programs in the state. They dont have the the added benefit of all the transfers that CB has and that is the differences in the programs. But I dont blame parents for moving there or Grundy for that matter to put their kids in great programs that get national exposure.

it is what it is...just being honest...not saying i agree or disagree...because, I live in Bristol but my kid is going to the Grundy camp this year...as a parent you want the best for your kids.

yeah... that way, you have a place to get away to for the weekend... I'd DIE if Fazoli's, Papa John's & Arby's were all within 10 minutes of my house.

(Got their Hawaiian w/ham last night, and it wa AWESOME!)

Of course, I'd also hit fewer deer by not having to drive back after midnight on Sundays.

depends on your interests....If you like to the outdoors Grundy is a fine place to live.......If you like to spend money------Bristol is the place to be.....Why whine over the Transfers...Grundy had transfers when they were winning all of those state titles in the 90's. I call it using your resources.

depends on your interests....If you like to the outdoors Grundy is a fine place to live.......If you like to spend money------Bristol is the place to be.....Why whine over the Transfers...Grundy had transfers when they were winning all of those state titles in the 90's. I call it using your resources.

what xfr did Grundy have that helped them win 15 straight state championships? name them please.

many hurley rebels and boys from KY helped keep the streak alive in the 90's. I just hate hearing excuses why Grundy can't win anymore.

its not excuses...it's a fact...c-burg has a team full of xfrs....they bring in the best they can find from all over...it is what it is. Grundy is home grown top to bottom and has been, I went to school with the kids that started the run in the late 80's...they were not from Hurley or KY...I don't know of any KY kids that went to Grundy, and there has always been a few kids that went to Grundy from Hurley since the 1940's...thats just the way it is depending on where the parents work and that sort of thing...there is zero weight to that argument.

You can not compare Grundy's program and C-Burg's program as far as XFR's go...not now, and not ever...C-burg is loaded with them, Grundy has never done that...period...it's not an excuse, it's a fact...just because you point out that fact, does not make it an excuse.

In my opinion, and this is not a knock at the Grundy kids in any way...but, the kids that started the run and were part of the run were of a different breed than the current kids...they were hard nosed and they worked out like crazy...and they did what they had to do to win...that is not what they have now....they also don't have the amount of kids to pick from so they have to do more with less, and the kids now face tougher teams than the kids back then did...back then places like C-Burg couldn't or didn't bring in a heavy weight champ from GA when the one that grew up in C-Burg couldn't get the job done.

You put the Grundy kids up against the C-Burg kids that are not xfr's...home grown vs. home grown....and Grundy would destroy C-Burg...but, that's not how it is now.

Definition of a transfer -- a student that moves from school district H to school district G (Simple Terms).....If you transfer from Hurley, Feds Creek, or Elkhorn your called a transfer, if you transfer from New York, Sacramento, or Boston your called a transfer.......everybody just keeps making excuses.......but I'm sure Grundy wouldn't turn those out-of-towners away, I bet Grundy would even take the Sheephearders and Hornswoggle right now.

TA... simple question ... which Grundy wrestlers ever wrestled at another school?

I can't think of any that were "transfers", and the only 1 whose parents weren't from here, that I can think of, never even made the district finals (Akshat).

Edited by VHSLhelper

I know they both started at Grundy so of course not technically a transfer but the best wrestler Grundy ever had lived in Richlands during the majority of his high school career, Shane Bowman

I know they both started at Grundy so of course not technically a transfer but the best wrestler Grundy ever had lived in Richlands during the majority of his high school career, Shane Bowman

I wouldn't say Bowman is the best Grundy ever had...that's a big statement to make. Albert Childress and Luke Owens...Mike Cox...they have an all american on the team right now...there are a lot more you can throw in the best ever mix...and no, Bowman was not a xfr.

sounds to me like the excuses are being made for C-Burgs actions and not Grundy's losing...

I have watched Grundy wrestling since the 80s and probably saw 85% of the matches during the 15 in a row Shane Bowman was the best by leaps and bounds the list in my opinion goes

1. Shane Bowman- just dominated 36 post season matches 35 pins 4 state titles

2. Tyde Prater- best technical wrestler they have ever had

3. Luke Owens- best heavy in AA history as far as I am concerned

4. Scott Justus- number 1 seed in NCAA tourny

5. A huge tie B.D. Albert, Griffey, Kendrick, Greg Stiltner too many to name

There is really no excuse to be made Cburg is just a much better dual team tourny may be different who knows. I didn't say he was a transfer just that when Shane won at least 2 of those state titles he lived in tazewell county. Who's the all American on this years team I am guessing the 125 maybe and no in my opinion he is not even in the top 10 all time Grundy guys

I have watched Grundy wrestling since the 80s and probably saw 85% of the matches during the 15 in a row Shane Bowman was the best by leaps and bounds the list in my opinion goes

1. Shane Bowman- just dominated 36 post season matches 35 pins 4 state titles

2. Tyde Prater- best technical wrestler they have ever had

3. Luke Owens- best heavy in AA history as far as I am concerned

4. Scott Justus- number 1 seed in NCAA tourny

5. A huge tie B.D. Albert, Griffey, Kendrick, Greg Stiltner too many to name

There is really no excuse to be made Cburg is just a much better dual team tourny may be different who knows. I didn't say he was a transfer just that when Shane won at least 2 of those state titles he lived in tazewell county. Who's the all American on this years team I am guessing the 125 maybe and no in my opinion he is not even in the top 10 all time Grundy guys

Yeah...you can make the argument for any of the guys you listed around the top...I dont know that you can put anyone in the top slot though by a wide margin...Bowman is among the tops for sure, just not ready to make him the best ever...that is a big leap for me anyway.

As for him being a xfr...as you said he started out at Grundy and finished there...regardless of where he lived, he never changed schools...so therefore he is not a xfr or anything of the sort...he came up in Grundy's system as a home grown kid and finished there.

obviously CB has one of the best teams around, duals or tourney, if there is a weak spot they bring someone in to fill it...that's the whole point of what started this convo...not saying it's wrong, illegal, or whatever...just calling it as to what it is...Grundy doesn't have that, and that is where the gap is...not sure why everyone is getting bent over that being said, because it is true...its not an excuse or anything of the sort, just the truth.

you boys can talk about the best ever in Grundy....I lived and watched it myself...Friends with many former State Champs.....I would have to say Scott Justus is the best and most dedicated of them all...for the heavy weight, Grundy was blessed with Athletic big men...not many schools have that......and you boys are forgeting the most hard nose meanest slobberknocker of them all.....My 1st Fantansy pick, Stephen Hartford, especially over Griffey (the ol' Kentuckian).