New Graham Coach?

Graham-VT Fan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the question about how DB pays so much money....They're a city school.

They built a 3 million dollar fieldhouse, new turf field. Graham Clark is banking over 100k, and the two coordinators make 60-70. There's not an actual set coaching stipend, They get paid what Kingsport City thinks they're worth. DB has boosters..Big time boosters.

Yeah, booster clubs have a way of sweetening the deal somehow. Never been involved with 'em, but you'd have to be high to believe a Dresser or Fizer would move to Grundy and only earn 2K a year-ish as head wrestling coach.

So the coach doesn't have to be a teacher? I thought the BDT story mentioned that the teaching credentials were the foremost consideration.

Foremost doesn't equal required. Problem is, if, say, Brad Bradley teaches History, and you have no History spots open, you basically can't hire him. (And a bunch of coaches allso "need" a spot for their wife, too.)

Va. does not require head coaches be teachers, but they have to get a state waiver AND pass some kind of training.

Any news yet? Palmer? Wyatt? Colobro? Or could it be someone else? I wish they would stop dragging this out.

It will be someone other than those three. The decision should come out from the TCSB in about two weeks.

In SWVA the best paying county(in terms of teachers salaries) is Washington, the stripends for football are

Head Coach 4,070

Asst Coach 2,355

By working year round I meant running the weight program(not just being involved) as well as coaching during the season

Not quite! Buchanan County pays better than that on both ends. Basketball coaches included.

In SWVA the best paying county(in terms of teachers salaries) is Washington, the stripends for football are

Head Coach 4,070

Asst Coach 2,355

By working year round I meant running the weight program(not just being involved) as well as coaching during the season

I thought he was trying to be sarchastic....because that's about the worst...

Not quite! Buchanan County pays better than that on both ends. Basketball coaches included.

I dont know what the stripends are locally, but "in terms of teachers salaries" Washington County is at the top.

I couldnt find the stripend #s on some school district websites so I didnt have anything to compare to. But it would bet that thats not too far off average

Edited by redtiger

Any update on the interviews? Anybody actually confirmed to interview? Are the interviews complete? Did they give candidates a timeframe as to when they expect to fill the position?

If that happens, they may as well dig a hole in Double Gates and bury Graham football forever...

I agree that either of those "candidates" would be a big mistake. Large managed to make Bluefield's basketball team look clueless at times, and just the rumor of John Lilly leaving Beckley has the flying eagle fans excited.

Edited by dlaw

It's looking like those interviews are today and tomorrow. But I doubt.we hear anything this week.

heard that one of the five getting the second interview is Randy Sparks who was apparently Tazewell's middle school coach. I don't know anything about him.