Tennessee or Virginia Tech?

gcdevils47

Which one is looking better to you guys? I'm going to say Tennessee. As i predicted Bray is just off the wall amazing, could be national title contenders this time next year. VT is pretty stout too this year as well but i believe they have a little more to work on.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one is looking better to you guys? I'm going to say Tennessee. As i predicted Bray is just off the wall amazing, could be national title contenders this time next year. VT is pretty stout too this year as well but i believe they have a little more to work on.

As long as Logan Thomas is at QB, Tennessee. All Tennessee would have to do is put 8 in the box and force Thomas into bad throws. That's really the entire defensive rubric to beating VT this year.

As long as Logan Thomas is at QB, Tennessee. All Tennessee would have to do is put 8 in the box and force Thomas into bad throws. That's really the entire defensive rubric to beating VT this year.

Thomas is young but he will improve each game...Bray may be the better passer but Thomas can put his shoulders down and get you yardage . Tech's defense will have to help Thomas out until he matures and becomes better at the qb position. Tennessee is looking much better this year.. Will find out how good they are when they play some SEC opponents.

I agree that Bray is looking very good. The defense has some issues. I thought Cincy would be a "nail-biter" , and it was for a quarter. Justin Hunter and DaRick Rogers are awesome. I think being a NC contender next year may be a stretch, but I think maybe a 10 or 11 win season is very possible. There was definitely some energy at Neyland yesterday, seemed like old times. Now, a trip to the "Swamp" looms next Saturday. I really dont know what to expect, I just hope Tenn plays hard and is competitive.

Thomas is young but he will improve each game...Bray may be the better passer but Thomas can put his shoulders down and get you yardage . Tech's defense will have to help Thomas out until he matures and becomes better at the qb position. Tennessee is looking much better this year.. Will find out how good they are when they play some SEC opponents.

If the rationale for having a certain guy as QB is "he can put his shoulders down and get you yardage", that's a REALLY bad sign.

Thomas's mechanics and timing have always been suspect at very best. VT fans like to joke about Al Groh's position musical chairs, but Thomas was recruited to be a TE and converted to QB when VT couldn't get an elite QB to replace Taylor.

Honestly, I think Leal's the one who should be under center at VT. More upside.

If the rationale for having a certain guy as QB is "he can put his shoulders down and get you yardage", that's a REALLY bad sign.

In the NFL yes but in college not so much. Thomas will settle down.. But right now I would go with Tenn overall..

In college, too. That's why you have RBs and FBs...

Yea its not favorable but its not a REALLY bad sign. Thomas doesnt even look run first like previous Tech QB's. My understanding is that when he needs to, pocket collapse, he can usually fall forward and get those extra yards. To me that isnt a bad sign but if he ran all the time it would..

I think one of VT's problems is they recruit for a position and then change their position once they get on campus. Turning TE's to OL. QB's to WR or TE, or TE to QB in this case. If anyone remembers Justin Hamilton a few years back he changed positions 2 or 3 times before he went in the draft.

Yea its not favorable but its not a REALLY bad sign. Thomas doesnt even look run first like previous Tech QB's. My understanding is that when he needs to, pocket collapse, he can usually fall forward and get those extra yards. To me that isnt a bad sign but if he ran all the time it would..

He's simply not fast enough to even think about being run-first. He makes Tyrod look like Usain Bolt. Heck, he makes Bryan Randall look blazing. We're not even going to compare him to Vick. He can't fall forward to gain yards if someone's tackling him appropriately.

A fun little stat: he had more rushes yesterday than completed passes. If your coach isn't Paul Johnson, and your QB isn't fleet of foot, that's bad...

I find it interesting the Observer is ready to throw Thomas under the bus after his second start. Hokie fans know Thomas is inexperienced, but has a huge upside.

Well, he couldn't complete 50% of his throws against a I-AA team, and his completion percentage yesterday was worse than my strike percentage Friday night. He's flat out stunk his first two games, and I'm sick of hearing the Thomas hype from VT supporters and ESPN.

BTW, I predicted this over the summer...

Different year, same dance. Foster's defense bailing out a VT offense. And it's not Stinespring's fault...

Edited by UVAObserver

Well, he couldn't complete 50% of his throws against a I-AA team, and his completion percentage yesterday was worse than my strike percentage Friday night.

Well, had it not been for three dropped balls...Davis, Coles, and Coale...his completion % yesterday would have been over .500. All three were in the WR's hands and they just didn't catch the ball.

Going to be fun to hear what you have to say about VT and LT in late November when they beat UVA...again...

And you're are correct, it isn't Stinespring's fault this year...he isn't calling the plays, Mike O'Cain is...

Well, had it not been for three dropped balls...Davis, Coles, and Coale...his completion % yesterday would have been over .500. All three were in the WR's hands and they just didn't catch the ball.

Going to be fun to hear what you have to say about VT and LT in late November when they beat UVA...again...

And you're are correct, it isn't Stinespring's fault this year...he isn't calling the plays, Mike O'Cain is...

Coles's dropped ball was WAY underthrown, Davis's was overthrown. Coale just dropped his, yes, but his WRs bailed him out on 2-3 others. But yes, with those 3 passes, he'd have been 11-20. Heisman numbers, right there.

I think November's going to be awfully interesting. We've got the secondary to play man on your WRs and stack the box against Thomas, which should be the rubric for beating you this season. Hopefully Jim Reid's smart enough to see it. I have my doubts about Reid, though. If he can't stop Indiana's podunk offense...

David Wilson's the key to the offense, obviously. I just hope you don't run the poor kid into the ground...

I don't really think either teams has played anyone stout enough to speak very highly of them just yet, you can say that Tech can't pass, then again, has Tn been forced to beat someone that plays the pass and dares them to beat them with the run, until they both face someone good enough to stop their strength and force them to beat them with their weakness then I don't think you really know exactly what you do or don't have. That time will come, sooner for Tn I believe as they are in the SEC and as I have stated on previous threads Techs schedule is weak this year, but they will get their opportunity to disprove the naysayers before the season is over also.

we'll see on saturday--gators coming up!

Agreed. Cincy was a good victory, but Saturday, we should be able to see where Tenn is at. I guess we'll find out how good VT is, well, the bowl game? Or are we gonna use Marshall or Arkansas St as the measuring stick?

Coles's dropped ball was WAY underthrown, Davis's was overthrown. Coale just dropped his, yes, but his WRs bailed him out on 2-3 others. But yes, with those 3 passes, he'd have been 11-20. Heisman numbers, right there.

I think November's going to be awfully interesting. We've got the secondary to play man on your WRs and stack the box against Thomas, which should be the rubric for beating you this season. Hopefully Jim Reid's smart enough to see it. I have my doubts about Reid, though. If he can't stop Indiana's podunk offense...

David Wilson's the key to the offense, obviously. I just hope you don't run the poor kid into the ground...

You talk of Thomas as thou he is a 5th year senior. With a 6'6" 250 lb frame reminds me of the QB for LSU few years back. When he settles down should be able to read the field much better than most.

This "D" is looking pretty special.

You talk of Thomas as thou he is a 5th year senior. With a 6'6" 250 lb frame reminds me of the QB for LSU few years back. When he settles down should be able to read the field much better than most.

This "D" is looking pretty special.

Did you just compare him to JaMarcus "purple drank" Russell.......oh yeah he was a wonderful QB.......

Not Heisman numbers, but more than enough to get the win. BTW, Cole's drop was right in his hands, as was Davis's. And Danny Coale, who never drops a pass, dropped a TD pass. UVA's DB will get destroyed by VT's WRs if they try to man up...that made me laugh...UVA...man up...

LT won't be the same QB in November as he is know...he'll have some gametime under his belt and it will definitely show. I really think you're setting yourself up for another major disappointment if you think otherwise...

Davis's pass was on the money.

He's not ever going to put up heisman numbers in our offense, so no worries.

By the time November rolls around, he'll be heading into the ACC championship with a full season under his belt.

I worry about your latter statement as well. There were some runs at the end of the ECU game where Dave was getting up slower and slower. Oglesby has been a nice compliment though.

Edited by deuceswild