Top 5

wave316

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put Johnson number 1. Imagine if he played against Central, Burton, thomas walker, clintwood, etc. he barely gets any of the carries that Tyler Graham gets because Richlands blows everyone out. One game they did play against same team he was injured, so don't try and throw the Union game out there. Lets see how Tyler does against Gate City.

Well Graham didn't have a ton of carries in some of those games either. Didn't have many against Battle, but still had over 260 some, and was limited in the TW game and actually produced the 2nd fewest yards so far on the season. And Clintwood had a good defense, Burton and Central aren't bad either. Also, how do the two offenses compare and differ? What are the other options/threats, styles, etc? How would they do switching teams? Those are some things that could be added to an argument.

Think you could make a good point either way. Don't need to look at stats to see both are pretty darn good regardless.

lets get real, any running back, whether its johnson, graham, cain,turpin, etc are as good as their LINE...................lets put one running back, nomatter whom it is, one against 11, yoU're not gonna get much.......if anything...........i'm old school,,,,yea, my buddy can run,,,,but we gotta block for him...............

Barry Sanders proves you wrong...just sayin'.

You have great RB's and you have great lines...sometimes they get together on the same team....example Emimitt Smith....then you have great lines who make RB's look better than they probably are...example Terrell Davis/Clinton Portis....then you have people who are really great RB's and don't have a line...Barry Sanders is the prime example...Walter Payton for many years had nothing special in front of him....just because someone has a line doesn't make them great and just because someone does have a great line to run behind doesn't make them average....at any position you will have people who are talented more so than others in the area at that position...the ones being talked about here are legit top RB's for this area..

i think berglowe had 224 yrds against honaker,but had 30 carries.thats a lotta carries .yea didnt he have 1800 some yrds last yr?

Berglowe had 1,821 last year and is close to 1,300 this year with at least 3 more games to go...I expect if they get a playoff game he will get very close to 2,000 if not more.

Berglowe had 1,821 last year and is close to 1,300 this year with at least 3 more games to go...I expect if they get a playoff game he will get very close to 2,000 if not more.

Wow. Talk about silent stats.

forgot about him oh well its like when you do a top 5 nfl backs and you leave out erik dickerson,but you dont want to revise because youd have to choose between taking off bronko nagurski or walter peyton and at the end of the day jim brown is the best no matter what

4) B Johnson (I havent seen him but stats dont lie)

Brett Johnson only had 88 yards last friday night against GW. That being said, rush yards have been tough to come by against the Maroons this season. But it wasn't the yardage that impressed me most about this kid.

He flat out got manhandled the first play from scrimmage from his OLB spot on a jet sweep from GW. Kid got up and never flinched. GW's defense keyed on the kid, and he took shots all night long from every angle. Kid got up and never flinched. Down 56-3 he lined up in a slot and took a long pass deep into GW territory. The following play, he did the same in the end zone with 2 GW defenders sandwiching him trying to knock the ball loose. Kid got up and never flinched.

Brett Johnson earned a helluva lot of respect from us. Chilhowie doesn't have much this year, but that kid is special. Showed a ton of heart and just flat out left it all on the field.

...and he still hasn't flinched.

I hope your not talking about McClanahan from Grundy. Because I'm not so sure he is even in the top 10. Not saying he isn't a good back. There are just too many other backs around right now that are better.

Just to add. I know there has been some mention of Jonathan Turpin from GW from some of you guys. Turp is awesome, and is a heckuva lot of fun to watch. But there is a lot of people around here that wouldn't even think he is the best RB on our roster. Hunter Tolley has actually been more productive for us, and Isaac Young might have the most big play potential and averages more YPC than the other two.

In Turpin's defense, he does play more of a fullback role for us, which makes some of his numbers look even more impressive, IMO.

my list isnt done by stats its done by performance and so far in the tough games hes got the wins yeah hes not the best or fastest hes tough and hes got what a playmaker needs in the tight-ones and yes ive been at more grundy games than anything so that probably influences a bit

my list isnt done by stats its done by performance and so far in the tough games hes got the wins yeah hes not the best or fastest hes tough and hes got what a playmaker needs in the tight-ones and yes ive been at more grundy games than anything so that probably influences a bit

I agree...McClanahan is legit...he doesn't get the stats or the spotlight these other kids get because he is one of about 5 on Grundy's that runs the ball...but as far as talent goes, he has it and has as much as anyone else around here has...if he got the ball 30 times a game he would put up huge numbers, but he is lucky to get it 10 to 15 times most games, just because of the way Grundy is set up this year...he is a heck of a kid though and he runs as hard as anyone does....he will very quietly get 2 or 3 td's when you need it most....and he doesn't celebrate at all ...no chest thumping, jumping up for high 5's...nothing...he just gets up and goes back for the xtra point...all business...i like that.

I don't know where he would be on a list of the top 10, but I'd put him on there somewhere...great kid with a lot of heart and a great attitude....I wish we had 10 more just like him.

I agree...McClanahan is legit...he doesn't get the stats or the spotlight these other kids get because he is one of about 5 on Grundy's that runs the ball...but as far as talent goes, he has it and has as much as anyone else around here has...if he got the ball 30 times a game he would put up huge numbers, but he is lucky to get it 10 to 15 times most games, just because of the way Grundy is set up this year...he is a heck of a kid though and he runs as hard as anyone does....he will very quietly get 2 or 3 td's when you need it most....and he doesn't celebrate at all ...no chest thumping, jumping up for high 5's...nothing...he just gets up and goes back for the xtra point...all business...i like that.

I don't know where he would be on a list of the top 10, but I'd put him on there somewhere...great kid with a lot of heart and a great attitude....I wish we had 10 more just like him.

By no means was I knockin' the kid don't get me wrong. I just don't believe he is one of the "premiere" backs if you will. However I will say he very well could be the toughest kid around. If you ask me he is 10x better on defense than offense.

By no means was I knockin' the kid don't get me wrong. I just don't believe he is one of the "premiere" backs if you will. However I will say he very well could be the toughest kid around. If you ask me he is 10x better on defense than offense.

I think if he got the carries, he would be one of the top backs in the area by the numbers...he already has good numbers splitting carries 5 ways. I think one of the main reasons he doesn't get a heavy work load on offense is the fact they MUST have him on D to have a chance...without him on D they would be really struggling against the run a LOT more than they already are.

Give a little love to Jordan Vaughan on this one. He is averaging almost 10 yards per carry for the season. If that is not enough, he is averaging over 8 yards per carry for his career. Oh, and by the way, he has started at Galax since he was a freshman. Don't punish this kid because the team has so much depth.

Berglowe is legit and would start on anyones team around here....He had a great line last year and rushed for around 1900 yards and played some stiff competition on a legit Grundy team. He is also doing the same thing this year at Hurley and dont have nearly the line he had last year. Not to mention he has only carried the ball 10 times in 2 of those games. Good line, Bad line, stiff competiton it dont matter the kid gets it done and is definately in the top 5 backs in SWVA. I have seen some good backs in my day and he is definately one of the best around. The kid does not have blazing speed but he is very elusive and you cant get a good shot on him. Runs hard and he is a very smart runner.

not knock'n lees line, but what if tyler graham had the line of richalnds, clintwood, or god forbid.....grayson...???

What if Lee could throw the ball just a little to keep the LBs backed off just a little?