Tazewell kicker commits

blow_tornado_dog

January 11, 2012

Walk-on decides for the Hokies

Brian Mohr

HokieHaven.com Publisher

Earlier this evening Virginia Tech picked up a new walk-on pledge. The latest addition is a key pick up for the Hokies on special teams.

Murray attributed his relationship to Wiles and the staff as part of his decision.

"I committed a couple hours ago to Coach Wiles," Tazewell, Va. kicker Andrew Murray said. "He said he was glad to hear that I committed and he was going to tell Coach Beamer. He's definitely glad to have me."

Have they worked out a trip yet?

"He said he's going to talk to Coach Beamer and make sure it fits into the rules with walk-ons."

Murray was clearly favoring the Hokies, but what made him pull the trigger.

"I don't know. I just thought about it all day at school. I talked to people at school about it and Virginia Tech was the only place I wanted to play," he said. "Now, I have the opportunity and I didn't want to pass it up.

"Every time I talk to the coaches, I like the chemistry they have up there. Everybody gets along and it's a great place. The coaches are always friends and caring. They want to help you and they are giving me I shot. All I wanted was an opportunity, that's something big and I want to make the best of it."

Murray had options with Marshall and West Virginia interested, but he loved Virginia Tech.

"It just came down to following my heart," he said. "I'm doing what I definitely thought was right."

Tech is recruiting Murray as an all-around kicker, punter. Have they discussed his opportunity to play?

"Coach Wiles told me their plan is to definitely get me up there at the start of school and then I can go ahead and compete," he said. "By coming in after spring, my chances aren't as great, but they are going to give a fair chance to everybody."

Murray finished his senior year at Tazewell hitting 5-of-9 field goals with a long of 53-yards. He averaged just over 40-yards on punts on the year.