• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on VA Preps.

VIRGINIA HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE

February 3, 2012

*Initial Proposed 2013-14 and 2014-15 Alignment Plan – MODEL ONLY

USING SEPTEMBER 30, 2011 Numbers—Changes noted in red

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-2013-15-proposed-alignment-plan-model.pdf

do you realize how lucky richlands is getting with this??? Really the only power house teams they will play will be Gate City, Union, and Giles...

do you realize how lucky richlands is getting with this??? Really the only power house teams they will play will be Gate City, Union, and Giles...

Not trying to defend Richlands here, but what is unfair about them playing schools within a certain parameter of size? Based on your reasoning, the old system would have been "unfair" to Richlands due to their smaller enrollment.

Not trying to argue, just making a point!

Not trying to defend Richlands here, but what is unfair about them playing schools within a certain parameter of size? Based on your reasoning, the old system would have been "unfair" to Richlands due to their smaller enrollment.

Not trying to argue, just making a point!

not saying its unfair....Im a nader and I think this is great....

Graham and Grundy are both 2's...why not just put them back in the SWD...grrrrrr.

not that i want to play Richlands again or anything...lol...but, still...they are 2x the size of the schools in the BDD and a natural fit for the SWD as well as a founding member....perfect chance to bring it back together again...gone.

I'd like to see JSB and Lebanon back in the SWD as well.

That would be all 2's + Abingdon, all schools would be easy to travel to...and aside from Richlands in football... competitive across the board at this time and in the near future.

Graham and Grundy are both 2's...why not just put them back in the SWD...grrrrrr.

not that i want to play Richlands again or anything...lol...but, still...they are 2x the size of the schools in the BDD and a natural fit for the SWD as well as a founding member....perfect chance to bring it back together again...gone.

That would be all 2's + Abingdon, all schools would be easy to travel to...and aside from Richlands in football... competitive across the board at this time and in the near future.

would be cool to get the band back together

Looking at the Piedmont Dist...what happened to the rule that the VHSL wouldn't form a district with more than 3 divisions? Martinsville will be AA, Magna Vista AAA, Bassett, and GW Danville AAAA and Halifax is AAAAA. That's 4 different divisions in the Piedmont Dist..

Gretna.....Floyd County....Essex....Goochland...Buckingham....Martinsville.....Riverheads....Appamattox....and probably several more that I can't think of off the top of my head....

Edited by futbolking

Looking at the Piedmont Dist...what happened to the rule that the VHSL wouldn't form a district with more than 3 divisions? Martinsville will be AA, Magna Vista AAA, Bassett, and GW Danville AAAA and Halifax is AAAAA. That's 4 different divisions in the Piedmont Dist..

The guidelines actually refer to a "span" of three divisions. I was thinking that was an inclusive range (i.e. you could have AA, AAA, and AAAA, for example). But apparently it is simply mathematical (from 2 to 5).

Gretna.....Floyd County....Essex....Goochland...Buckingham....Martinsville.....Riverheads....Appamattox....and probably several more that I can't think of off the top of my head....

Yep. No reason to expect that Richlands will be any more competitive on a state level within the new Division 2 than they have been in the current Division 3.

Amelia...Madison County...Nottoway....Buffalo Gap...Bruton.....(dare I say Graham in a couple of years)....

absolutely right....no worries at all...very lucky indeed...

Edited by futbolking

Based on the VHSL figures, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dogwood schools get moved back to the East if they plan on keeping a relatively even East/West split in the new AA (old Division 2).

You'll have former D3 schools Marion, Tazewell, Richlands, Martinsville and RE Lee all moving down and clearly in the western half geographically.

There are five Dogwood schools in the new 2A: Gretna, Appomattox, Dan River, Chatham, Nelson County.

I'd imagine the western half of 2A to look something like this (using the district affiliations on their site):

BDD: Grundy

CMD: Battle, Gate City, Lebanon, Lee, VHS

LPD: Central, Union

MED: Graham, Grayson

TRD: Floyd, Giles, Glenvar

SWD: Marion, Richlands, Tazewell

PIED: Martinsville

PIONEER: James River

VALLEY: RE Lee

SHENANDOAH: Buffalo Gap, E. Rock, S.Jackson, Luray, Page, Riverheads, Wilson Memorial

It's possible the VHSL might try to do the sections in fourths (basically just like regions) rather than halves. A regional-type setup isn't a necessity for football, but it probably will be for the other sports where you play more than one game a week.

This my friends is called arrogance. Can't wait to watch you guys get your ass busted.

Saw this on VA Preps.

VIRGINIA HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE

February 3, 2012

*Initial Proposed 2013-14 and 2014-15 Alignment Plan – MODEL ONLY

USING SEPTEMBER 30, 2011 Numbers—Changes noted in red

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-2013-15-proposed-alignment-plan-model.pdf

Really? They couldn't have put Graham (from the 6-team MED) back into the Southwest (a 4-team district)?

LAME.

This my friends is called arrogance. Can't wait to watch you guys get your ass busted.

I wasn't trying to be arrogant all I was stating was that Richlands could and probably will be more competitive in the Division 2 because there are no teams like Cave Spring, Northside, Brookeville, James Monroe, Handley, Kettle Run, Poquoson, York, etc. I never said that the whole divison 2 wouldn't be competitive also and I also never said that Richlands would kick everyones ass in division 2 I was just stating that I "think" Richlands got lucky with the new system as in they will not have to play all those other teams mentioned before...Quit being so quick to call me out on being arrogant, I in no way was being arrogant..."Can't wait to watch you guys get your ass busted" we already did...this year...you shouldve been there.

Really? They couldn't have put Graham (from the 6-team MED) back into the Southwest (a 4-team district)?

LAME.

I'm really perplexed about the role of districts now. 4 teams doesn't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever. Given the flexibility of interdivisional membership, I would submit that some kind of minimum membership requirement be instituted for all districts. For example, perhaps champions of districts with at least 7 members would automatically qualify for the playoffs. Those from smaller districts would not have the same guarantee. (And I'll confess that I'm mainly concerned with protecting the viability of the district system as it has existed in Virginia for a very long time.)

I would love to understand the Committee's rationale behind its proposal. Seems like we're headed toward a West Virginia model, but that doesn't exactly jibe with the latest proposal.

I don't think the powers to be in Bristol would let Battle and Va High be in separate districts again. Might be wrong. I'd trade Honaker for Battle along with getting Graham and Grundy back in the mix. But...we all know this is the VHSL so what would make the most sense usually doesn't happen. At least Carroll is gone....

I'm really perplexed about the role of districts now. 4 teams doesn't seem to serve any purpose whatsoever. Given the flexibility of interdivisional membership, I would submit that some kind of minimum membership requirement be instituted for all districts. For example, perhaps champions of districts with at least 7 members would automatically qualify for the playoffs. Those from smaller districts would not have the same guarantee. (And I'll confess that I'm mainly concerned with protecting the viability of the district system as it has existed in Virginia for a very long time.)

I would love to understand the Committee's rationale behind its proposal. Seems like we're headed toward a West Virginia model, but that doesn't exactly jibe with the latest proposal.

It's clear that the ones brokering this arrangement don't understand (1) the new SWD is equal, or better, from a geographic perspective than the MED and (2) Graham/Tazewell/Richlands/etc. have been playing each other for what seems like 100 years.

I can't open the VHSL's link on my computer, but it just occurred to me: if Lebanon is a 2 in the new format, then it makes less than 0 sense for the Southwest to pass Lebanon up, especially with a 4-team arrangement.

On the whole, though, I agree with your assertion. In the shift toward the statewide system, districts for football seem awfully irrelevant with nothing tying them to playoff spots. Districts with fewer teams seem more irrelevant still. I like your proposal to tie in a district bid to a playoff spot, but I hope that would necessitate consolidating some of the tiny districts so that you make the district title mean something again.

What people need to realize here is that this initial plan is just that---an initial one. It looks as if the VHSL just needed to put together a starting point that's relatively close to the current district alignments, then give the schools the chance to appeal the placements.

I doubt the SWD will end up with only four schools. If nothing else, I think Carroll County will want to stay rather than move to the River Ridge. If they wanted to move, they would have tried to do so before now.

It's going to be interesting how the RRD and Blue Ridge end up....I doubt Franklin County is going to want to go to the Seminole with so many Roanoke area schools close by.