VHSL proposal would move Carroll County to River Ridge...

futbolking

I just dont see how this setup in anyway maintains competitive balance;

Patrick Henry (1,973 students) in the same district as Cave Spring (841).

Halifax County (1,702) in the same district as Magna Vista (903), Tunstall (857), Patrick County (798), Martinsville (663).

Franklin County (2,195) in the same district as Liberty (879) and Rustburg (874).

Those are some big differences in enrollment, very big. If this passes then winning your district means next to nothing because for alot of schools the deck was stacked against them from the begining. Im makes sense geographically but thats about the only way to reason this district setup

The big AAA schools like, Franklin Co., Halifax and GW Danville are the big winners in the new district setups. The smaller schools will have a hard time competing. The Piedmont Dist. might be a better fit for Carroll Co.

I just dont see how this setup in anyway maintains competitive balance;

Patrick Henry (1,973 students) in the same district as Cave Spring (841).

Halifax County (1,702) in the same district as Magna Vista (903), Tunstall (857), Patrick County (798), Martinsville (663).

Franklin County (2,195) in the same district as Liberty (879) and Rustburg (874).

Those are some big differences in enrollment, very big. If this passes then winning your district means next to nothing because for alot of schools the deck was stacked against them from the begining. Im makes sense geographically but thats about the only way to reason this district setup

I agree....and it'll be hard for Patrick Henry or Halifax to gain a lot of power points to get a good seed in the playoffs....but, I guess it is what it is...

The Piedmont Dist. might be a better fit for Carroll Co.

You ever drive home from Danville to Hillsville at midnight? Lover's Leap is awful skeery when you're driving with one eye open. I don't even know where the hell Halifax Co. H.S. is.

The big AAA schools like, Franklin Co., Halifax and GW Danville are the big winners in the new district setups. The smaller schools will have a hard time competing. The Piedmont Dist. might be a better fit for Carroll Co.

Halifax and GW Danville haven't been very competitive in most sports in quite some times...

I can tell you firsthand that this isn't a big concern for Liberty. The Minutemen play a very competitive non-league schedule in addition to what is (usually) a demanding slate in the Seminole district on an annual basis. They've played Franklin County -- and beaten them -- fairly recently.

The level of talent in the Roanoke-Lynchburg area is pretty equitable, so enrollment isn't as much of an issue as geography. That's where Franklin to the Seminole makes no sense. Some kind of alignment along the Highway 220 corridor would work best for Franklin County in terms of travel. Joining the Seminole would probably double their average travel time (just a hunch).