The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

Third year in a row for our annual Braves thread...

Spring Training starts soon...

What do you guys think of the off season moves and can we win the division this year???

Last year it was brutal watching the team collapse at the end of the season.

I think other the Marlins, the Nats have improved the most in the NL East.

Right now it'd be, but 1-4 could easily really shuffle around, it might be the best division in the NL [again]

1. Philadelphia

2. Miami

3. Atlanta

4. Washington

5. New York

This year, again, I see the Phillies winning the division and the Braves winning the WC. But the Nats and the Marlins are definitely better than last year and wouldn't surprise me if either one finishes ahead of the Braves by season's end. Better make sure that last season's collapse don't carry over...

I think it's going to be a pretty solid division this year...Mets should be a lock for last, but the rest should be pretty tight....Nats and Marlins should be better than last year.

Whats going on down on the farm? I have not kept up with it much.

Atlanta will win the East as long as everything comes together. The rotation matches up with the Phillies IMO and the bullpen is better. On offense they need Heyward to bounce back and Tyler Pastornicky to show that he's ready. If those things happen and they aren't hampered with injuries all year I think they can win the East.

Atlanta will win the East as long as everything comes together. The rotation matches up with the Phillies IMO and the bullpen is better. On offense they need Heyward to bounce back and Tyler Pastornicky to show that he's ready. If those things happen and they aren't hampered with injuries all year I think they can win the East.

I still see the East as the Phillies to lose. The Marlins are unproven, the Nats are relying on Strausberg (sp?) To keep them afloat, and the Braves need to show they have what it takes mentally. Its the Phillies to lost atm.

Uggla needs to stay consistent this year...he was way too hot and cold last year.

Really he was cold and then hot. I think he's fine now. Last season was a one time thing for him.

On a side note, The Braves fired Larry Parrish as hitting coach and hired Greg Walker to replace him.

Really he was cold and then hot. I think he's fine now. Last season was a one time thing for him.

On a side note, The Braves fired Larry Parrish as hitting coach and hired Greg Walker to replace him.

Don't know much about Walker, but they could sure use a good hitting coach.

I hope you are right about Uggla...he was either red hot or ice cold last year...a good solid season from him start to end would really help the Braves I think.

Did they pick up any young prospects? I heard they were trying to trade for a guy in the minors that is a big hitter but i dont remember his name...saw something on espn a couple of months ago...did you hear anything about that?

Don't know much about Walker, but they could sure use a good hitting coach.

I hope you are right about Uggla...he was either red hot or ice cold last year...a good solid season from him start to end would really help the Braves I think.

Did they pick up any young prospects? I heard they were trying to trade for a guy in the minors that is a big hitter but i dont remember his name...saw something on espn a couple of months ago...did you hear anything about that?

Only trade was Derek Lowe to Cleveland for a AA pitcher. That was just a salary dump (although the Braves are still paying most of his salary). They dangled Jurrjens and Prado all winter but nobody was willing to pay the price. The tried to get Adam Jones from Baltimore but couldn't make it happen. The Orioles wanted way too much.

RE: Greg Walker

"'He's gotten me to places as a hitter and a player that I would have never gotten to without him,' Konerko told reporters upon Walker's departure from Chicago. 'I trust him with every inch of my swing.'"

That's a positive, right?

I'm looking forward to the season and getting rid of the bitter taste that last year ended with. I'm anxious to see if Heyward can bounce back from his injury-riddled 2011 and if Pastornicky is the player Atlanta thinks is manning short-stop. The pitching, as usual, is there for the Braves. It's the hitting, or lack there-of, which will determine just how good and far they can go in 2012. The NL East looks to be one of, if not, the toughest in baseball, so whoever comes out the winner will have definitely earned it. I think Atlanta ends up competing for the Wild Card with the Phillies winning the division.

Great way to start with Hanson having a wreck this morning and starting the year off with a concussion. Maybe get it out of the way early this year.

Yeah. Ridiculous. Do we know what happened? I heard it was a one-car accident.