clintwood / cumberland district

cwood78

I wanted to see Clintwood in the BDD but honestly I think the CD is a better fit. It also allows the rivalry with JI Burton to continue.

Outside of JIB, Clintwood is just about guaranteed 6 wins a year!

I wonder what the Greenwave schedule will look like? Haysi will be on there but who will the other 2 teams be? I imagine they will be VERY tough opponents.

i know the merger of erivnton,haysi, clintwood, is coming soon, whats everyones thoughts about the wave joining cumberland??? i hoped they would join the bdd.:confused:

The coaches at clintwood voted to join the Cumberland. Both the BDD and Cumberland said they would admit Clintwood. I would say travel and some old LPD foes played a lot into it.

I wanted to see Clintwood in the BDD but honestly I think the CD is a better fit. It also allows the rivalry with JI Burton to continue.

Outside of JIB, Clintwood is just about guaranteed 6 wins a year!

I wonder what the Greenwave schedule will look like? Haysi will be on there but who will the other 2 teams be? I imagine they will be VERY tough opponents.

IDK I think you will see Clintwood drop off alot after next season for a few years......As for Haysi on the schedule it is rumered that the School Board wants to keep the schools from playing eachother in anything for the last few years before the consoladation (Not sure how that fits in with Clintwood and Ervinton being in the same district)

It would be a shame for the schools not play each other in their last few years. I would like to see some interschool schrimmages/group practices in the next few years just to build some familiarity between the players. Dont know if that is within the rules or not.

I think Clintwood football will slip before consolidation occurs. The talent this past season wasnt what it was a couple of years ago and it will continue to drop imo, Clintwood will still be solid though.

I dont think the BDD was afraid of Clintwood football, they are good but imo would have been a welcome addition.

IDK I think you will see Clintwood drop off alot after next season for a few years......As for Haysi on the schedule it is rumered that the School Board wants to keep the schools from playing eachother in anything for the last few years before the consoladation (Not sure how that fits in with Clintwood and Ervinton being in the same district)

What's the reasoning behind that? Why would they want the schools to give up some of (if not THE) biggest gates of the year ?

What's the reasoning behind that? Why would they want the schools to give up some of (if not THE) biggest gates of the year ?

IMHO I think it would be stupid to not play someone in your back yard with gas prices being what they are......The reasoning as I understood it was to take the edge off the rilvery before all the kids are put into school with each other.

I do not think it is a good idea and I do not know if it is even under serious consideration

i know the merger of erivnton,haysi, clintwood, is coming soon, whats everyones thoughts about the wave joining cumberland??? i hoped they would join the bdd.:confused:

Too good to join the BDD. They said travel was the reason. All the cumberland teams were on the highway and to travel to all BDD schools would be a rougher drive with the road conditions. All BDD schools are closer!! Still dont make sense to me!! Their consolidating in a couple years with Haysi but yet their too good to play them right now and join the BDD....Plus the competiton level would be a lot tougher than the cumberland.....Honaker, Haysi, Grundy, Hurley year in and year out are most of the time better than all cumbeland teams with the exception of a few years....They would definately get it handed to them in all sports other than football....

Edited by hurley11

Heard stuff like this before... with them comng together on the same team shortly, don't want any "bad blood from last year" messing things up.

I think that's BS. Sports isn't just about the outcome. I've seen Grundy wrestlers hang out with guys from Poquoson and such off the mat... you know, like friends. When ppl. say they shouldn't play, like Jonesviile & Pennington middles, that doesn't make sense to me. Play, then socialize after... meet your futire buds.

IMO the Cumberland is a horrible fit for the greenwave. Clintwood is a quality school that is used to quality competition and the Cumberland does not offer quality competition. When you are used to playing LPD schools and bigger OOD schools the Cumberland district will do nothing but weakin your team. Beating up on Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Castlewood (who was ok this season but lets face it they aint no power house) Eastside, and Thomas Walker can in no way make a quality ball club better. This past season proves my point in playing better teams makes you better. Clintwood suffered a few tough losses to some really good teams and learned from those loses. Clintwood was down 20 to 7 against Union and came out in the second half and won the ball game because they were so used to fighting for a win. If Clintwood had played the Cumberland schools they may not have been used to fighting for a win and may not have been able to turn their season around. Clintwood beat teams that were "better" "faster" and "more atheletic" teams, but they were teams that was not used to playing a program with heart like Clintwood has, and joining a weaker district will take that heart away im afraid