What is happening?

Gunz9

So I hear that a couple of players are transfering from Graham to other schools because of Coach Williams. Coach Marrs went 1-9 his last year and "stepped" down. Coach Williams comes in and takes this team back to the Carlock era of discipline on and off the field, and now these kids don't wanna play for him? Just so disappointed to hear this. Gurantee if "Coach" was still there these kids would not want to leave nor would their parents want them to leave either. Everybody wanted a change and was so happy to have Coach Williams there, now these few players and their parents are turning their back on him. I for one support Coach Williams and love hearing how he is making these boy become better football players but most importantly making them better young men.

Sorry had to get this off my chest.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's just going to be 1 to Bluefield and for anyone that has followed for very long knows this has been an issue for some time. I wish him success and the team should just move forward. As for Richlands that seems to have been rumors.

I've heard the opposite....probably just rumors...I'm hearing some kids from other schools will be playing for Graham this year.... nobody will know until practice starts...

If they're transferring within the county, they'll have to sit out a year.....

I think it's just going to be 1 to Bluefield and for anyone that has followed for very long knows this has been an issue for some time. I wish him success and the team should just move forward. As for Richlands that seems to have been rumors.

If it's the 1 to Bluefield, that I think it is...it'll be a big loss for Graham....however, I understand the reason for the move....and I don't believe that it has anything to do with Coach Williams...

It could be a case of a parent doing one of those..."I'll show you...." type of deals.

Edited by futbolking

TCSB, I thought was putting a stop to the in- county transfers just to play sports......making the kids sit out a year in sports....

Aren't there some loopholes and grey areas to get around that?? Pretty sure there are.

I was discussing that with an assistant football coach earlier today (not from any school around here).... and he was under the impression that was a statewide thing....not just in Tazewell County.... I do believe you are correct Ryan....there are loopholes...but hopefully, there will be enough of a deterrant to stop it...because it is a big problem in Tazewell County.

Yeah I believe you are right.

Yeah...think it would be a big mistake for him....would make a bigger impact and be a bigger part of Graham's team....thus getting him noticed more...

Never fear, though....I predict that Graham will own Bluefield for 3 or 4 years in a row....in the very near future... ...but may have to take 1 or 2 more on the chin before it happens.

Football is a very tough sport, mentally and physically. I for one hate the new rule for practice because we are going to ruin these kids on the great sport of football by forcing them to year around practice. The conditioning is a must and I wish we could get more kids in other sports to participate in this also. I really don't see a problem with even having a practice once a week or twice max during the off season. But some of these schools are just going to drive the kids in the ground and they will quit.

also hear coach williams is giving other kids another player number from last year and keeping them from playing other sports by saying things that keep them from playing other sports

You need to listen to this....

Graham will have about 50 kids coming out this year to play football....there will be a few that will complain and not play....always happens....there is always a couple of "defectors"....it's normal.... Graham will be fine, because they have somebody in charge that is leading them in the right direction....regardless of who is on the team, those kids will learn how to be a team and fight for a common goal.

I was discussing that with an assistant football coach earlier today (not from any school around here).... and he was under the impression that was a statewide thing....not just in Tazewell County.... I do believe you are correct Ryan....there are loopholes...but hopefully, there will be enough of a deterrant to stop it...because it is a big problem in Tazewell County.

I don't know if this issue is a state-wide matter or not. I know there are kids in Washington County that get to play as long as they are transferring to another WC school. And if a kid, for example, left the Bristol city schools or somewhere else and came to a WC school, they'd have to sit out one year (unless they are a rising freshman at the beginning of the year, then they can play).

I could be wrong but I believe that the state rule applies to same school year transfers. In other words a student cannot transfer from school A after football season and still play basketball for school B during the same school year.

I am positve that there is a state rule that forces a student to sit out a year if he has already transferred once then transfers a second time.

As long as you move, and can prove residence(lights, water, etc.) the first transfer in Tazewell County is without penalty. Before you guys say they don't check, I know for a fact they went to the actual homes of some of the inter-county transfers. As far as out of state transfers, I don't think they are as strict.

School may not be required to check residency but it is in their best interest if they do.

I know of a school in Roanoke Co that sends Social Services out to verify that the student does in fact live at the registered address before allowing them to participate in sports. It protects the school in the event that questions arise about eligibility.

I might have been wrong. The 2 kids in question, are rumored to have been seen at practices, yesterday for the one going to Bluefield and today for the one possibly going to Richlands.

It is possible, and somewhat common, for kids to change schools without moving - the thing that allows them to do so is that the division superintendent can overrule the VHSL transfer rule - all he/she has to do is write a letter saying that the transfer is for "non-athletic" reasons....even though most of the transfers are for athletic reasons, who is going to prove it???

It is very frustrating to say the least. I know of a situation that happened where a student attended what I will call school A as a 9th and 10th grader; started his 11th grade year at school A, playing varsity football through the first 2 games, against opponent 1 and 2...then a week later transferred to school B (in the same school system)....and started on special teams for school B that Friday.....and even ended up playing against opponent 1 and 2 again, as well as playing against school A....all made possible by a superintendent waiver. That is insane and should have never happened in a million years, but it definitely happened.