What's everybody run?

eagles99trd

I've posted before, I used to live in the Abingdon area, no longer do. Am trying to get back into keeping up with swva football more. I'm curious about what most schools in the area run on offense and defense.

From what I've researched already it looks like Abingdon has moved from the spread to more of an I look, not sure about their defense.

Va high is wing-t I believe. Again not sure about defense.

What about PH?

Chilhowie?

J.Battle?

Anyone else?

Please overlook the fact that I am an old Abingdon guy. I just love football and really like to study what others do.

Thanks for the insight.

Haysi - alot of spread(under center and shotgun, 2x2 and 3x1) some 3 wide split backs and a ton of other stuff, whatever is working

Chilhowie - Wishbone(1 SE, 1 TE). I believe the same thing they have been running for years

Edited by redtiger

I've posted before, I used to live in the Abingdon area, no longer do. Am trying to get back into keeping up with swva football more. I'm curious about what most schools in the area run on offense and defense.

From what I've researched already it looks like Abingdon has moved from the spread to more of an I look, not sure about their defense.

Va high is wing-t I believe. Again not sure about defense.

What about PH?

Chilhowie?

J.Battle?

Anyone else?

Please overlook the fact that I am an old Abingdon guy. I just love football and really like to study what others do.

Thanks for the insight.

The Most ironic thing is this post is that Abingdon does not even know what D they run lol

The Most ironic thing is this post is that Abingdon does not even know what D they run lol

Thanks for reinforcing my point though. Haters gotta hate, huh? Wow.

Carrol is about the only team i can think of that runs the triple Option like GT the only exception is rather than blocking like GT they just chop block so i guess they run it a little different.

Isn't chop blocking illegal?

Abingdon, under the current staff, had run the spread O until last year. They switched to a base pro set last year. They base their D in a 5-0. I could go on for hours about what they SHOULD do...but you didn't ask that so I won't.

there is a big difference between a "cut" block and a "chop", not saying you dont know what you are talking about Rhschamps04 but could you define what CC does?

Cutting at anypoint down field or on the line after the initial snap of the ball is illegal.

Holston was running Splitbacks and some veer but I dont know if they did last season or not? Clintwood uses some option to offset their power running game(mainly to attack the weakside when they are in Pro-I, although last season they just stuck w/ power runs). Haysi runs some read option from 2x2. Im not for sure but Union may have read some of their Belly/Double Dive series last season but im not sure, it may have been called dive or lead.

Cutting at anypoint down field or on the line after the initial snap of the ball is illegal.

Wait, how is cut blocking on the line illegal? I thought cut blocking is, more or less, where the o-lineman rolls his body into the defensive lineman, tripping him up, and chop blocking (the illegal one) is where the o-lineman hits or "chops" the d-lineman in the knees with his hands/arms (which could cause major injury). Or am I just getting something confused here?

Ok,

chop block a defender is engaged with a blocker and another blocker cuts his legs(either from the front or the side), VERY VERY dangerous and illegal

cut block a blocker cuts a defenders legs from the front, you aim at their shins and use your shoulder pads, if you use your hands thats tripping and is illegal. In HS can only be done at the snap of the ball, never delayed or downfield and never from the side, rolling is also considered tripping and is illegal. Around here alot of teams dont cut that much so when you do a blocker can almost "bear crawl" and the defender will trip over him, Double Wing(superpower toss sweep) and Single Wing teams will do that to cover a pulling guards gap, its called a log block

Alot of people talk about "dirty" chop blocking when its really just cut blocking.

I have never seen Carroll Co play so I dont know what they do(but I have heard more than 1-2 people say they are dirty). Pay attention to a NFL or College game and on run plays offensive linemen will cut block on the back side of a run. GT and Navy cut block on Corners and Safteys every play which often springs their QB or RB for a big gain, they also cut on their Rocket Sweep(toss sweep) play. If they run the option for a touchdown I guarantee 1-2 defenders are lying on the ground

Edited by redtiger

Ok,

chop block a defender is engaged with a blocker and another blocker cuts his legs(either from the front or the side), VERY VERY dangerous and illegal

cut block a blocker cuts a defenders legs from the front, you aim at their shins and use your shoulder pads, if you use your hands thats tripping and is illegal. In HS can only be done at the snap of the ball, never delayed or downfield and never from the side, rolling is also considered tripping and is illegal. Around here alot of teams dont cut that much so when you do a blocker can almost "bear crawl" and the defender will trip over him, Double Wing(superpower toss sweep) and Single Wing teams will do that to cover a pulling guards gap, its called a log block

Alot of people talk about "dirty" chop blocking when its really just cut blocking.

I have never seen Carroll Co play so I dont know what they do(but I have heard more than 1-2 people say they are dirty). Pay attention to a NFL or College game and on run plays offensive linemen will cut block on the back side of a run. GT and Navy cut block on Corners and Safteys every play which often springs their QB or RB for a big gain, they also cut on their Rocket Sweep(toss sweep) play. If they run the option for a touchdown I guarantee 1-2 defenders are lying on the ground

Ok, I gotcha. I misunderstood and thought you were saying that you couldn't do it on the line at the snap, but you meant after the snap (don't know why I misread that, lol).

Abingdon, under the current staff, had run the spread O until last year. They switched to a base pro set last year. They base their D in a 5-0. I could go on for hours about what they SHOULD do...but you didn't ask that so I won't.

Well I'd love to hear those thoughts.

I asked about teams running the flex bone triple option because that's what came to mind when I thought of abingdon.

It's a great equalizer if used 100% and others schools don't see it often. It's so tough to simulate in practice. Just my two cents.

I know atown has lots of issues off the field, I'm just at a loss why a team that's twice the size of half their schedule can't be very competitive each and every year.

The Double Slot triple option is good if you have 2 balanced RBs(seems like Abingdon doesent have that kind of talent). I like it because you can run spread and Wishbone type plays from the same formation.

Come out with it BigO, what do you think? As long as you dont say 5 wide spread or double tights Wishbone I dont think you will catch too much hell!

there is a big difference between a "cut" block and a "chop", not saying you dont know what you are talking about Rhschamps04 but could you define what CC does?

Holston was running Splitbacks and some veer but I dont know if they did last season or not? Clintwood uses some option to offset their power running game(mainly to attack the weakside when they are in Pro-I, although last season they just stuck w/ power runs). Haysi runs some read option from 2x2. Im not for sure but Union may have read some of their Belly/Double Dive series last season but im not sure, it may have been called dive or lead.

The way CC blocks most of the time is when the defender is ingaged with another player they come from behined and take out the knees and they do that all the way down the line.

offensive linemen can cut anywhere in the box, while the ball is in that area - the box is basically from tackle to tackle, within a yard or two (give or take) of the LOS....you can cut any defender that is in the "box" at the snap of the ball, whether a run or pass...if a LB walks up and shows his blitz, he can be cut - as long as it happens in the "box"

The way CC blocks most of the time is when the defender is ingaged with another player they come from behined and take out the knees and they do that all the way down the line.

Isn't that impossible to do all the way down the line. You don't have enough players to do that do you?

offensive linemen can cut anywhere in the box, while the ball is in that area - the box is basically from tackle to tackle, within a yard or two (give or take) of the LOS....you can cut any defender that is in the "box" at the snap of the ball, whether a run or pass...if a LB walks up and shows his blitz, he can be cut - as long as it happens in the "box"

Im 99% sure that you are wrong(at least in VA) as far as cutting anywhere in the box. You are right on the linebackers walking up, they can be cut as long as they are at or very near the LOS

Maybe Stripes or Helper can chime in?

If thats how Carroll does it that is VERY dangerous and VERY dirty.

Edited by redtiger

Cutting (or blocking below the waist), blocking the back, clipping is permitted in the free blocking zone (appox 4 yards on either side of the snap, and 3 yards behind each line of scrimmage) when these conditions are met:

a. All players involved in the blocking are onthe line of scrimmage and in the zone at the snap.

b. The contact is in the zone.

With that said, a LB just stepped up doesnt necessarily make him eligible to be cut. He has to actually be walked up onto the LOS. Also, as said above, as soon as the ball leaves the zone, you cannot cut the defender. This is where spread teams get away with too much IMO. To cut in a shotgun offense, your linemans first action better be toward the ground. If they raise up and then drop down to cut it should be flagged generally.

As for the combination style block Rhschamps04 mentions, that is illegal no matter where the ball is.