Protect thyself...

You don't care for Foxnews?

I'm not sure why I made it one word, but no, not really.

But I will offer up some ideas and make an intelligent attempt at this argument.

So what if some licensed weapons carriers were in that audience, watching a movie. Out of say 200 people, six people chose to carry their weapon with them into the dark and loud public room full of children, teens, etc. The bad guy tosses in a smoke bomb and blazes hellfire upon the disoriented and unsuspecting crowd. Those people choose to use their weapons to "protect" themselves. Is it fair to say there would be even more collateral damage? There's reduced visibility, loud disorientation, fleeing people - etc. And none of these people are trained for this instance as say... a policeman or SWAT member would be. I know all the bravado combined on this message board would love to think they would make the heroic kill shot and save the day - but chaos is chaos.

For what its worth, I wish someone would have. But the idea of people freely having guns in public areas even to protect themselves gives me a level of discomfort. Sometimes people go batshit crazy, even licensed carriers could. There's no Hollywood foresight.

I'm all for people owning guns, I'm not one of THOSE liberals. I'm against people having them in certain places and I'm against people being able to obtain military grade assault rifles and kevlar suits for obvious reasons, but I think folks should be able to own guns. Hell, this is 'Murica after all.

I'm no expert on the Constitution, so I'm fuzzy on how it's worded and I'm too lazy to Google it. But, we have the right to bear arms as a right to a regulated militia, right? The regulated militia part, to me, doesn't mean carry your weapon into a drugstore or into a movie theater in case all hell breaks loose. It means you have a right to your weapon, and if shit hits the fan (say alien or British invasion) we can form a regulated militia to defend ourselves. Regulation implies...well, regulation. Just because you're a licensed carrier doesn't make you licensed in the tactical use of the weapon under duress. But maybe my interpretation is inaccurate. I'm sure most of you will say it is.

Granted, I didn't read the article you posted because I'm lazy and I get a weird itch when I read Fox News. But I feel that whatever it said, my post here probably relates some how.

I'm sure you conservatives are going to throw some gay hatin' chicken sandwiches at me for it, but it wouldn't be the first time. Just don't shoot me.

I think I'm going to buy an AR this weekend...

And, FWIW, I feel the same about CNN and all the other liberal news services...they make my skin itch, too...

Whether or not citizens should be armed in public is a tricky subject and I can see why alot of people dont want the general public armed. Its our right to own and carry weapons and in my experience people who arent competent with firearms dont carry them. Now who knows what would have happened if 1-2 people in that theater would have had a firearm and were competent in using it but I dont think it could have been much worse and probably could have ended much better.

I feel that Americans should take more responsibility in defending themselves and I mean that on various levels(from defending yourself from bullying at a young age to carrying a weapon or a firearm as an adult).

As far as news channels, they all kinda make my stomach roll. You are just getting their spin on what is going on. I personally dont take any 1 channels portrayal of the news as absolute fact and sadly alot of people do

Whether or not citizens should be armed in public is a tricky subject and I can see why alot of people dont want the general public armed. Its our right to own and carry weapons and in my experience people who arent competent with firearms dont carry them. Now who knows what would have happened if 1-2 people in that theater would have had a firearm and were competent in using it but I dont think it could have been much worse and probably could have ended much better.

I feel that Americans should take more responsibility in defending themselves and I mean that on various levels(from defending yourself from bullying at a young age to carrying a weapon or a firearm as an adult).

As far as news channels, they all kinda make my stomach roll. You are just getting their spin on what is going on. I personally dont take any 1 channels portrayal of the news as absolute fact and sadly alot of people do

Didn't the guy have on a Kevlar suit though? So even someone with a pistol in there wouldn't have effected that much in the long run.

I'm not sure why I made it one word, but no, not really.

But I will offer up some ideas and make an intelligent attempt at this argument.

So what if some licensed weapons carriers were in that audience, watching a movie. Out of say 200 people, six people chose to carry their weapon with them into the dark and loud public room full of children, teens, etc. The bad guy tosses in a smoke bomb and blazes hellfire upon the disoriented and unsuspecting crowd. Those people choose to use their weapons to "protect" themselves. Is it fair to say there would be even more collateral damage? There's reduced visibility, loud disorientation, fleeing people - etc. And none of these people are trained for this instance as say... a policeman or SWAT member would be. I know all the bravado combined on this message board would love to think they would make the heroic kill shot and save the day - but chaos is chaos.

For what its worth, I wish someone would have. But the idea of people freely having guns in public areas even to protect themselves gives me a level of discomfort. Sometimes people go batshit crazy, even licensed carriers could. There's no Hollywood foresight.

I'm all for people owning guns, I'm not one of THOSE liberals. I'm against people having them in certain places and I'm against people being able to obtain military grade assault rifles and kevlar suits for obvious reasons, but I think folks should be able to own guns. Hell, this is 'Murica after all.

I'm no expert on the Constitution, so I'm fuzzy on how it's worded and I'm too lazy to Google it. But, we have the right to bear arms as a right to a regulated militia, right? The regulated militia part, to me, doesn't mean carry your weapon into a drugstore or into a movie theater in case all hell breaks loose. It means you have a right to your weapon, and if shit hits the fan (say alien or British invasion) we can form a regulated militia to defend ourselves. Regulation implies...well, regulation. Just because you're a licensed carrier doesn't make you licensed in the tactical use of the weapon under duress. But maybe my interpretation is inaccurate. I'm sure most of you will say it is.

Granted, I didn't read the article you posted because I'm lazy and I get a weird itch when I read Fox News. But I feel that whatever it said, my post here probably relates some how.

I'm sure you conservatives are going to throw some gay hatin' chicken sandwiches at me for it, but it wouldn't be the first time. Just don't shoot me.

There could be a hundred what ifs but I would still rather take my chances with people inside carrying than nobody having one. And I agree with the NRA on the Constitution.

Didn't the guy have on a Kevlar suit though? So even someone with a pistol in there wouldn't have effected that much in the long run.

Yes he did but it would still knock the guy down for enough people to hopefully take control.

Edited by HurricaneWarning

Head shot...

Yup. Pitch dark in a movie theater with Tear gas and gun shots and people running everywhere. I'd love to see a head shot performed.

Like I said, all the bravado on this message board will tell you they would make the perfect headshot and kill. And when the police bust in, amid hysteria and confusion, what's keeping them from mistaking you for the threat?

Like I said, all the bravado on this message board will tell you they would make the perfect headshot and kill. And when the police bust in, amid hysteria and confusion, what's keeping them from mistaking you for the threat?

Your ticket stub and large popcorn.

He did, those suits stop the bullet not the force of the round, getting shot while wearing one of those would hurt like hell! let alone a full clip

What's the purpose of owning a weapon like an AR-15 or any other automatic rifle? I don't see many people carrying those around as protection or taking them into the woods with them during the fall. The only reason to own a gun such as this is to have something cooler than the other guy and something fun to "play" with at the range. Maybe people who own guns like this should be required to keep them at their local shooting range and be able to use them whenever they would like to go relieve some stress by popping off a few hundred rounds.

I have no problem with people owning guns or possessing them in public. I own a gun myself, but see no reason in carrying it because in a situation like the theater shooting, I could do more harm than good. I do disagree with the fact that I could walk up to Gander Mtn. and purchase a weapon such the AR or even a .50 caliber rifle. I do realize that criminals will always break the rules, but why do we make it so easy to obtain these types of weapons?

Unfortunately, this.

We people who wish to uphold the 2nd Amendment need to pick and choose our battles carefully. This is one case in which it would take a SEAL to pull off a kill shot.

Unfortunately, this.

We people who wish to uphold the 2nd Amendment need to pick and choose our battles carefully. This is one case in which it would take a SEAL to pull off a kill shot.

Dirty Harry could do it with his .44 Magnum...

300px-Harry_Callahan.JPG

"Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

I have no problem with people owning guns or possessing them in public. I own a gun myself, but see no reason in carrying it because in a situation like the theater shooting, I could do more harm than good. I do disagree with the fact that I could walk up to Gander Mtn. and purchase a weapon such the AR or even a .50 caliber rifle. I do realize that criminals will always break the rules, but why do we make it so easy to obtain these types of weapons?

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this.

Hey GMan-I bought a AR from Baileys Gun Supplies across from the tazewell livestock market a couple of months ago. Excellent price! Cheaper than trader Jerry's. But I was told that Jerry will match any of Bailey's prices. Dont know if its true or not.

Planning on stopping by Bailey's on my way home from work this afternoon to see what they have. I've looked at a couple of other places and found a really good price on one at a certain shop on the WV side...this afternoon's trip will likely determine where I'll do my purchasing. I've never seen or received a good deal from Jerry's on firearms...the one I did buy from there was because I liked it, I wanted it, and couldn't find the same thing anywhere else. I do use Jerry's quite a bit for reloading purchases though, mostly powder and primers to avoid paying the Hazmat fee for shipping on I-net orders.