Best coach ever from SWVa

com74bsslc

Kick this around. List your top ten that you saw yourself. Richlands fan.

1. Robbins (PV)

2. Calaboro (Gatecity)sorry for the spelling on all names

3. Carlock (Graham)

4. Mance (Richlands)

5. Ragsdale (Giles)

6. Salem's current coach Mussenberger?

7. Vaught (Richlands)

8. Housewright (Gatecity)

9. Hubbard (Honaker)

10. Marrs (Grahem) a dig at the Graham fans lol

Never saw Clintwood, Haysi, so don't take offense if your team not mentioned.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kick this around. List your top ten that you saw yourself. Richlands fan.

1. Robbins (PV)

2. Calaboro (Gatecity)sorry for the spelling on all names

3. Carlock (Graham)

4. Mance (Richlands)

5. Ragsdale (Giles)

6. Salem's current coach Mussenberger?

7. Vaught (Richlands)

8. Housewright (Gatecity)

9. Hubbard (Honaker)

10. Marrs (Grahem) a dig at the Graham fans lol

Never saw Clintwood, Haysi, so don't take offense if your team not mentioned.

Are you talking about Magenbauer for Salem?... You'd have to say Willis White, if mention him...Even though he would be at the top of the list if we were ranking Arse holes.

I would add John Chmara, Joel Hicks and Merill Gainer.

Im a young guy so this list wont be that incredible

1 Rick Mullins, the Clintwood program was in a bad way when he took over and just look at them now. They have a big turnout every year, boys in the weight room all offseason and even though when he 1st got there I didnt think he was a very good play caller he really is tricky now.

2 James Colley Great offensive mind and he doesent have any titles but spent the best of his years playing schools twice Haysis size in regional play. Beat Phil Robbins and PV 3 times, not many coaches can say that

3 Phil Robbins Poor Xs Os coach imo and he was arrogant as hell but the man built a great program and has almost as many rings as fingers

4 Ragsdale/Colobro Nothing fancy in terms of strategy or play calling but the quality of their programs is second to none! Only behind Robbins because of # of titles

6 Mance The Richlands program is as good as any but the titles just arent there to move him up higher

7 Adams JI Burton has been a d@#^ fine team for over a decade now, he has led them to state alot of times, and all at a school with */- 300 students

8 Doug Hubbard nothing fancy and I dont think he is a great Xs Os coach but the longevity he has speaks volumes and how long has it been since Honaker had a real down season? or was considered an easy win for anyone other than Richlands?

9 Rocky Baker the man took POUND to STATE! Granted Appy and JIB were down, Haysi Clintwood and Honaker were still in D2 and Reg C didnt have $h!t, but still

Tom Turner had much less to work with than pretty much every coach on the lists I see here. The fact that he could take 25 undersized players and wear your 65 out time after time to the tune of many state titles is a testament to what a tremendous coach he was. For that alone,he's top 3 at worst,but he very may well have been #1

The question was "That you saw", I'd seriously doubt he saw Carlock.

1. Your argument would be worth something if Carlock's and Mance's careers didn't overlap by more than half a decade....

2. The title of the thread is "Best Coach Ever from SWVA". I did read that correctly, right? Sounds like an OP thing.

3. Oh, and if you haven't seen Carlock, your parents probably should allow you on a computer. Bedtime, parental advisory, and all. 2005 ain't that long ago, sport.

Edited by UVAObserver

I wouldn't try to put them in order...but, from my timeframe of who i have seen coach over my years here, and I'm sure there are a bunch more you could add...but these are my personal fav 5:

Carlock, Colabro, Robbins, Cummins, Rife. (Smiley gets Honorable Mention...just because you can't leave him out of this conversation)

Best Coach that was never a Head Coach...Jack Compton.

If you are going on hardware, awards, and numbers, Robbins without question. (VHSL Hall of Fame, NHSACA Hall of Fame (2004), NHSACA Coach of the Year (2005), 307-151-4 Career Record (260-81 at PV alone), 7 State Titles, so many District and Regional titles it's hard to keep track of)

If you are going on what they got out of their players, Tom Turner. (VHSL Hall of Fame, 5 State Titles, 205-106-4 Career Record).... Don't fool yourselves tho guys, he had a lot more to work with than folks let on...during the bulk of his career, Appy had more than 40 players on their roster consistantly, and more athletes than most other teams did as well.

Edited by sup_rbeast