How our schools got their nickname

cwood78

There's always been arguments on Battle's nickname. Some think it was the Phoenix before the Trojans, but that's just the name of our yearbook. School's always been the Trojans. Not sure where they got the mascot, but the school is named after John Stewart Battle, governor of VA from '50-'54.

Tigers, I have no idea exactly why we are the Tigers. Guess its just a good mascot? Really like our colors tho; Red, White and Blue is sharp! At one time was Blue, White and little to no Red was used. I think that all changed around the time Coach Colley came in.

How Clintwoods mascot, Willie the Wave, came into being is an interesting story. I hear that one family holds a little grudge, appoarently(as the story goes) a cousin came up with the design but was never officially recognized. By the way, Willie aint got $h!t on the wave mascot that was on the highwall in downtown Grundy. Now that was a good lookin mascot!

Back in the 20's when Tazewell formed a football team the AD at the time was a huge Georgia fan, so that's why we are the Bulldogs.

The ones I would really like to know where they came from is Richlands, Grundy, and Marion. After all how do you get colored storms???

Back in the 20's when Tazewell formed a football team the AD at the time was a huge Georgia fan, so that's why we are the Bulldogs.

The ones I would really like to know where they came from is Richlands, Grundy, and Marion. After all how do you get colored storms???

I dont know how marion got there name but our mascot believe it or not is a goat...... go figure lol

The story I've always heard about Richlands is that the nickname originated with Stubby Currence in his description of a game played back in the 1930s or thereabouts. RHS wore blue jerseys and in this particular game generated a lot of offense. In his description of it for the Daily Telegraph, Currence supposedly described the Richlands team as moving down the field like a "blue tornado."

I dont know how marion got there name but our mascot believe it or not is a goat...... go figure lol

Any insight into the connection between goats and hurricanes?

Old Lexington High was also known as the "Scarlet Hurricane." By way of google, I found the following link indicating that they had a remarkably similar hurricane/goat history. Based on this, is there some kind of connection between Lexington and Marion that might offer some explanation?

http://normantippens.com/2012/03/02/lexington-h-s-goat-ranchers/

The now extinct Green Dragon from Garden pissed in the river and it flowed down the levisa to Grundy.... At least that's what my grandpa used to tell me

thats ridiculous.

I talked to an old guy at a Graham game about 10 years ago...guy was probably 80 then.

He said he went to Grundy and was in the senior class that picked the name. He told me they had 3 or 4 to vote on and Golden Wave won...he said it was based on the "sun hitting the waves of the river" (which was bigger back then). I should have asked him what year he graduated but I was trying to watch the game and wasn't paying much attention. I bet the guy is probably not around anymore, he used to be the gate keeper over on the visitors side...but like i said he was pretty old 10 years ago.

The story I've always heard about Richlands is that the nickname originated with Stubby Currence in his description of a game played back in the 1930s or thereabouts. RHS wore blue jerseys and in this particular game generated a lot of offense. In his description of it for the Daily Telegraph, Currence supposedly described the Richlands team as moving down the field like a "blue tornado."

Sounds kind of similar (and about the same time I believe) as how King College got their name, Tornado.

Hate to see what the two buzzards from A town would say about that one.

Must not be a well known fact outside of Marion even with my family connections over there I didn't know that one.

Edited by stu_bean

The now extinct Green Dragon from Garden pissed in the river and it flowed down the levisa to Grundy.... At least that's what my grandpa used to tell me

Is this where the "Golden Wave" splashed into Grundy? LOL

Hate to see what the two buzzards from A town would say about that one.

Must not be a well known fact outside of Marion even with my family connections over there I didn't know that one.

I was aware of it, but I've never heard the story behind it. Is there some species/brand/variety of goat that carries the "hurricane" moniker?

I was aware of it, but I've never heard the story behind it. Is there some species/brand/variety of goat that carries the "hurricane" moniker?

I am pretty sure in '87 Marion actually had a goat at the playoff game against Tazewell. I have known about that since then, but for some reason I remember seeing the goat and asking what the heck that was about!

I used to teach and coach at Marion, I recall looking at some old yearbooks and seeing a goat head logo within a circle on the basketball court.

Needless to say it looked a lot like some kind of satanic symbol, pretty funny and somewhat eery at the same time.

thats ridiculous.

I talked to an old guy at a Graham game about 10 years ago...guy was probably 80 then.

He said he went to Grundy and was in the senior class that picked the name. He told me they had 3 or 4 to vote on and Golden Wave won...he said it was based on the "sun hitting the waves of the river" (which was bigger back then). I should have asked him what year he graduated but I was trying to watch the game and wasn't paying much attention. I bet the guy is probably not around anymore, he used to be the gate keeper over on the visitors side...but like i said he was pretty old 10 years ago.

Lance that guy's name is Adkins. The people know him as "Shifty" Adkins. He did go to Grundy. He lived up Mill Branch. He came to a sports banquet and told us this story also. We have not been able to confirm this with anyone. Anybody that is named "Shifty" makes it hard to believe this story!!!

Lance that guy's name is Adkins. The people know him as "Shifty" Adkins. He did go to Grundy. He lived up Mill Branch. He came to a sports banquet and told us this story also. We have not been able to confirm this with anyone. Anybody that is named "Shifty" makes it hard to believe this story!!!

how old is that guy? is he still around? I'm guessing he would be near 90 now?