How our schools got their nickname

cwood78

The now extinct Green Dragon from Garden pissed in the river and it flowed down the levisa to Grundy.... At least that's what my grandpa used to tell me

thats ridiculous.

I talked to an old guy at a Graham game about 10 years ago...guy was probably 80 then.

He said he went to Grundy and was in the senior class that picked the name. He told me they had 3 or 4 to vote on and Golden Wave won...he said it was based on the "sun hitting the waves of the river" (which was bigger back then). I should have asked him what year he graduated but I was trying to watch the game and wasn't paying much attention. I bet the guy is probably not around anymore, he used to be the gate keeper over on the visitors side...but like i said he was pretty old 10 years ago.

I dont know Lance, the Green Dragon story is pretty good

Ive told this story before. Originally God created all Tigers Red but over time the weaker ones faded to Orange!

On a more serious note, red blue and white seems to be a common color scheme for schools with tiger mascots. Wonder why that is?

Also Greenwave is the most popular color of wave, why is green so common?

Edited by redtiger

Someone else with more knowledge may correct me if I'm wrong but as far as Narrows ending up being the Green Wave:

As far I've read and heard the colors of green and gold were voted on by the student body in the 30's. The nickname came afterwards from Harry Ragsdale being he was an alumni of Tulane.

The story I've always heard about Richlands is that the nickname originated with Stubby Currence in his description of a game played back in the 1930s or thereabouts. RHS wore blue jerseys and in this particular game generated a lot of offense. In his description of it for the Daily Telegraph, Currence supposedly described the Richlands team as moving down the field like a "blue tornado."

I've heard this story as well. I always wondered what Richlands was called during this game, or if they even had a nickname before "Blue Tornado"?