New pistol

Hi Point .45 ACP...I have one and for the money you can't beat it...if you have a higher budget go for a Glock, but just for what it is you can't beat it. A lot of people knock them because of the price being low, but it's nonsense.

watch all of this video...$200 will get you the gun plus extras.

Really depends on what kind of pistol you want. Revolver or semi-auto. There are other specifics too and it also depends on what you want to do with it (just home defense, target shooting, hunting backup, etc.). Personally, I like Rugers. They make semi's and revolvers and they're very good guns (and not too expensive, depending on the model).

Really depends on what kind of pistol you want. Revolver or semi-auto. There are other specifics too and it also depends on what you want to do with it (just home defense, target shooting, hunting backup, etc.). Personally, I like Rugers. They make semi's and revolvers and they're very good guns (and not too expensive, depending on the model).

Ruger does make a great gun, I have a SP101 .357 Magnum and my wife has a SR9 9mm. My favorite pistol I own though is a S&W 629 .44 Magnum.

Looking to buy a new pistol, any recommendations without spending a fortune?

First off, I advise that you take the NRA Handgun Safety class if this will be your first handgun. Safety always comes first!

Secondly, as someone asked...what do you need it for? That will determine what you need to look for.

Not sure what your experience is with handguns, but most "newbies" feel more comfortable with revolvers. If you are beyond that stage, semi-auto pistols are a fine choice. But make sure you buy a caliber that you can "handle". Not everyone can handle the power of a .44 magnum...in fact, lots of people don't want to try. .38/9mm are fairly easy to shoot. The larger calibers take more practice to control and shoot quickly and accurately. If you are just looking for a plinker gun, stick with the .38/9mm. Also, those calibers are more than sufficient for home/personal defense.

As for cost, you can find guns from a couple hundred bucks up to as much as you want to spend. .38 and 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper than the larger calibers...something to factor in if you just want a plinker.

Also, once your buy your handgun, get to know it very well...SHOOT IT! Practice as much as you can...especially if you plan on using it for home/self defense. Get to the point where it becomes second nature to draw, aim, fire, and be on target...you won't have time to think about that stuff if/when the time arises that you need to protect yourself and/or your family.

Remember, a smaller caliber gun that you can shoot on target is much more effective than a larger caliber gun that you can't.

I have the one with the six inch barrel. I bought it at Mahoney`s last year after comparing prices. They were forty bucks cheaper than the shops here.

Yep, 6" barrel...exactly the one I want.

everything GMan said is right on. Espicially about buying a gun that you are comftorable with.

Personally I like Rugers. On par with any out there and you will save some $. Some people really like Glocks, some really dont.

Personally I dont like semi-autos. Alot of people I know why carry them dont have a round in the chamber(I wouldnt) and that really hurts how effective it is as a self defense gun imo. A revolver on the other hand is no big deal to carry fully loaded and ready to fire.

Edited by redtiger

This will be my 3rd pistol. I've had the .357 Ruger blackhawk and a Springfield xd45 acp. I'm just looking for something to shoot around and keep in the house for defense. Lance you mentioned the Hi-point, Everywhere I've been has told me to stay away from them, is the price the only knock on these guns?

Get a Glock, S&W M&P, or Springfield XD in 9mm. You can find deals online for ammo at $10/box. Get some good top of the line hollowpoint ammo for home defense.

I've got a Glock 19...unbelievable what kind of abuse it will take and still fire every time.

Personally I dont like semi-autos. Alot of people I know why carry them dont have a round in the chamber(I wouldnt) and that really hurts how effective it is as a self defense gun imo. A revolver on the other hand is no big deal to carry fully loaded and ready to fire.

I'm not a "GlockHead" but carrying a Glock with one in the chamber is no different than carrying a loaded revolver. Neither have a safety and you still have to pull the trigger (BOTH of them on the Glock) to get them to fire.

This will be my 3rd pistol. I've had the .357 Ruger blackhawk and a Springfield xd45 acp. I'm just looking for something to shoot around and keep in the house for defense. Lance you mentioned the Hi-point, Everywhere I've been has told me to stay away from them, is the price the only knock on these guns?

BTW, what length barrel on the Ruger BH?

I've been thinking about a "tupperware" .45acp...how's that Springfield? Their new XD-M series has my attention.

It just depends on your budget...the larger caliber (.45's) in the Hi Point are just fine...the 9's have more jamming problems. Some people are brand whores and swear by Ruger, Glock, S&W or whatever...yes they make good guns, I own several myself and love them all...but, if you are just looking for something cheap to protect your family with and are on a budget, i'd rather have a new Hi Point 45 than a worn out Ruger 9mm any day.

It all depends on what you want it for...if you want to just shoot it and have fun then get a .22 pistol of some sort as thats the cheapest ammo you will find...to me a 9mm is useless...you see people get shot 8 times and live? that should tell you something. I've never seen anyone or heard of anyone getting hit with a .45 in the trunk and making it....to me if you are talking about home protection a .45 is the way to go with hollow points...stopping power.

you never really said what kind of budget you have? If its under $300 then Hi Point would be my suggestion. They have a lifetime warranty as well, made in the USA, and they are reliable. A lot of people knock them for the price and the fact they are heavier than most other guns, the reason for that is the way the slide is designed and the blowback stability. Yes they are heavy...but they work good. 9mm Hi Points have smaller magazines and springs and do jam more...the .45's dont have this problem from my experience.

If you get a .45 of any kind, just get some extra clips for it and don't load them fully...this is an old military trick. If you don't fully compress the springs in the magazines you will have a longer lifespan for the magazine and much less chance of a jam. If it holds 8 rounds I usually only load 7.

As for revolver vs 1 in the chamber, I don't keep a round in the chamber for safety reasons...I just dont think its a good idea. I keep the magazine in the gun and all you have to do is pull the slide and chamber a round to shoot...this shouldn't take you long and it gives you a split second disconnect to decide if you really want to shoot or not...in the military you don't lock and load unless you are going to shoot...i carry that over in to my personal life as well.

Just my opinions.

I'm not a "GlockHead" but carrying a Glock with one in the chamber is no different than carrying a loaded revolver. Neither have a safety and you still have to pull the trigger (BOTH of them on the Glock) to get them to fire.

True. I just know alot of people who dont carry one in the chamber and that, in a quick reaction situation, makes the gun no more than a small club.

The ONLY knocks I have ever heard on Hi Point are #1 they arent pretty(and I agree but for a self defense gun who cares? Unless its a nice 1911 then none are pretty) and #2 they are bad to jam. Lance states that the .45s dont have that problem(and I believe him) so I wouldnt have a problem goin for one of them.

From a personal carry point of view I think people carry 9mms because they are smaller than a .45, price also comes into play. If I wanted something for home defense it would be a .40, .45. or .357 mag. You want something that puts an intruder down in 1 shot, not something where youre gonna have to fire 4-5 times. My step dad has a Heritage Arms 410 pistol that is his favorite for home defense. Its similar to a Taurus Judge or S&W Governor, except that its a single action. The thing holds a pretty tight pattern and would be nasty to get shot with!

I have a Heritage Arms .22(western style), its a ton of fun to shoot!

Edited by redtiger

The thing about the .357 Magnum for home defense...blast and flash. The .357 is EXTREMELY loud and in an enclosed area (inside the house) the sound will be magnified. Anyone without hearing protection, and survives the shot, will have permanent hearing damage. Also, unless its a long barrel, in a dark encounter, the flash will leave you blind for a few seconds...not sure I want to be blind during a life or death situation.

Having said that, I love my S&W 386 .357 Magnum.

Very true. .40 or .45 is probably the way to go.

The 410 pistols are nice and in the tight distances of a home 00buckshot will do the job for sure. My stepdad has some Winchester home defense rounds for his 410, they have 3 disks(they look like big watch batteries) and 12 BBs. At 10 yards the disks hold a tight pattern(about the size of a 50 cent piece) and the BBs about 6 inches, pretty nasty. and like I said those disks are flat so they dont penetrate that deep but hit really hard. Would be good if you live in an appartment or anywhere where you are worried about the bullett penetrating the walls. The effectiveness of 410s has been debated for years(and continues to be) but many a buck has been killed by youngsters with 410s. To test out the home defense rounds he shot an old oil barrel(big home heating oil type), now all the BBs scattered but the 3 disks punched thru so I dont think stopping power is an issue

You can also alternate 410/.45. Very versitle weapons

if its something you want to put in a drawer and shoot people who enter your house, or otherwise need shooting...then the Hi Point will be fine..again i like the .45 over the rest...just due to the stopping power of the home protection rounds.

If it's something you want to carry around, I'd go with one of the smaller Glock .45s...they are nice and you can get some really small but powerful and nice looking little guns.

The Ruger LCP makes a nice carry gun for those of you that have a concealed carry licence, The .40 S&W m&p makes a nice home defence weapon. checkout the newly released 9mm S&W shield, cant find them locally yet.

The Ruger LCP makes a nice carry gun for those of you that have a concealed carry licence, The .40 S&W m&p makes a nice home defence weapon. checkout the newly released 9mm S&W shield, cant find them locally yet.

I've seen the Shield. I liked the way it felt in my hand but it was too big for CC for me. I have the 380 Bodyguard but the Shield was too "showing" for me to CC with. With a Galco pocket holster, the 380BG is a perfect fit.