The 2013 Atlanta Braves Thread:

hokie07

The good thing is that it seems each and every night someone new is stepping up to the plate (no pun intended) and delivering. That bodes very well moving forward especially once, as Lance said, guys like Heyward and BJ start swinging the bat better and guys like Freeman and McCann get healthy.

It will be interesting to see what happens when McCann comes back. It's going to be hard to keep Evan Gattis out of the lineup.

It will be interesting to see what happens when McCann comes back. It's going to be hard to keep Evan Gattis out of the lineup.

McCann has had some injuries the past couple of years...I bet they put Gattis in rotation like i was saying in the other post....just to give him a break if nothing else.

The thing is, he's new and sometimes that is a borrowed time sort of thing...you can have a hot streak early on until someone picks apart film and finds your weak spot, and everyone has one, then the scouting reports make the rounds and you come back down to earth.

Be interesting to see how it plays out with him.

McCann has had some injuries the past couple of years...I bet they put Gattis in rotation like i was saying in the other post....just to give him a break if nothing else.

The thing is, he's new and sometimes that is a borrowed time sort of thing...you can have a hot streak early on until someone picks apart film and finds your weak spot, and everyone has one, then the scouting reports make the rounds and you come back down to earth.

Be interesting to see how it plays out with him.

The plan coming out of spring training was to keep him as a backup OF, 3rd catcher, and pinch hitter, but the way he's swinging the bat I don't think they can keep him out of the lineup. And I'm not just talking about the first week and a half of this season... He hasn't let up since the Braves signed him. For those who don't know, he gave up baseball after high school then decided to give it another try six years later. The Braves signed him and he's been on a tear ever since. He has the potential to hit .300 with 40 HR's at the major league level. McCann is a great player but in my opinion experience is the only thing he has over Gattis.

He has the potential to hit .300 with 40 HR's at the major league level. McCann is a great player but in my opinion experience is the only thing he has over Gattis.

That's what I've been saying too.

McCann is honestly one of my favorite Braves, but I really don't think we'll see him in ATL much longer. Gattis is our future, IMO.

I hope we sweep the Nats...i can't stand them.

Ha, I agree. Not only do I want to see them swept, but I want the Nats to always lose in heartbreaking fashion like they did last night.

From Buster Olney...

"Strasburg on Gattis: “I threw one at his neck, and he tomahawks it out. You don’t really face a guy like that ever."

haven't heard yet, but what is the schedule for McCann's return? I bet they keep him at AA for a while to "rehab" haha.

Man Gattis is just on fire...unreal.

Oh..about to sweep the Nads and go to 11-1 in style...9-0 with the bottom of the order up next in the bottom of the 8th.

haven't heard yet, but what is the schedule for McCann's return? I bet they keep him at AA for a while to "rehab" haha.

Oh..about to sweep the Nads and go to 11-1 in style...9-0 with the bottom of the order up next in the bottom of the 8th.

He should be getting close. He probably will have a rehab stint but I doubt it will be more than a week. The maximum allowed is 20 days.

You can tell Gattis used to be a janitor...

...because the Nats just got swept!

McCann and Freeman will probably be returning at the end of this month. Venters at the end of next month IF everything goes well. Hopefully Beachy in August if great also. Would be nice to get Beachy back, but hope they dont rush him with the promising future he has.

McCann is going to be an interesting situation...have to see what happens there. I don't think they should disrupt the line up as long as Gattis stays hot...once he cools off, and he will I think...then you make the move back to McCann and put Gattis in some sort of rotation...maybe use him to pinch hit for pitching changes and stuff like that when McCann plays just to keep a bat in his hand.

I dunno...going to be interesting, but its going to be hard to keep him off the field as long as he's hot.

Beachy is also on the mend and should be back before the break...be interesting to see what kinda stuff he's got after TJ surgery.

As far as the schedule goes, things look good short term, other than 4 games against the Pirates...going to be hard to sweep that one....then 4 more with the Nats to close out April...realistically I think we could be sitting at around 21-5 or so going in to May....that would be pretty amazing.

McCann is going to be an interesting situation...have to see what happens there. I don't think they should disrupt the line up as long as Gattis stays hot...once he cools off, and he will I think...then you make the move back to McCann and put Gattis in some sort of rotation...maybe use him to pinch hit for pitching changes and stuff like that when McCann plays just to keep a bat in his hand.

I dunno...going to be interesting, but its going to be hard to keep him off the field as long as he's hot.

Beachy is also on the mend and should be back before the break...be interesting to see what kinda stuff he's got after TJ surgery.

As far as the schedule goes, things look good short term, other than 4 games against the Pirates...going to be hard to sweep that one....then 4 more with the Nats to close out April...realistically I think we could be sitting at around 21-5 or so going in to May....that would be pretty amazing.

In my opinion McCann just got Wally Pipp'd. Sure they will give Gattis some time at 1B and LF but how many days off do you want to give Freeman and J. Upton? It sounds crazy but getting Gattis AB's will take priority over getting McCann AB's.

Would we go to a 6 man rotation when Beachy returns? Him, Huddy, Maholm, JT, Minor and Medlen?

I think it will depend on how JT looks when Beachy returns. He is probably the biggest ? in the rotation, but he looked really solid after the second inning of his last start in DC. That is also assuming everyone else stays healthy.

I think it will depend on how JT looks when Beachy returns. He is probably the biggest ? in the rotation, but he looked really solid after the second inning of his last start in DC. That is also assuming everyone else stays healthy.

0.00% chance the Braves use a 6-man rotation. Starting pitching is arguably the most rhythm-based position in baseball, and potentially in all sports. Going from a 5-man rotation in July to a 6-man rotation in August would be a significant change, one that no sane manager would make.

Expect the weaker of the 2 to be reassigned in August, only to be recalled when the roster expands on September 1st.

0.00% chance the Braves use a 6-man rotation. Starting pitching is arguably the most rhythm-based position in baseball, and potentially in all sports. Going from a 5-man rotation in July to a 6-man rotation in August would be a significant change, one that no sane manager would make.

Expect the weaker of the 2 to be reassigned in August, only to be recalled when the roster expands on September 1st.

If Teheran pitches well enough to stay in the rotation until Beachy returns he won't be sent down then. A 6-man rotation IS a likely option for a couple of weeks while they see how Beachy does and decide which five they want to take into September. The odd man out (probably Teheran) will go to the bullpen. Luckily Fredi isn't afraid to makes moves that "no sane manager would make" such as batting a rookie 4th and using a 6-man rotation, as he did last August.

I could see them using one of the guys as a middle man to try to keep the bullpen fresh in the 2nd half if everyone is doing well...but, I'd say someone will get sent packing rather than them cut a roster spot somewhere else...just my opinion...I dont see them carrying another starting pitcher.