Time to talk about basketball yet?

BigD4VT

Only a few SWVA football teams are still playing and basketball season starts in eight days... Just sayin'.

Hurley lost everyone, so I don't look for much there...any other teams around here that have a legit shot at an above avg year?

I think the Richlands girls have a good shot. Not sure about the boys yet but this will be the first year they've started on time in a while and that should help the avoid their usual slow start.

I don't know of any schools in our area that are really "up" this year...kinda odd....usually you have at least one. Twin Valley may have something going on this year, not sure.

Doesn't Haysi have a lot returning? Maybe Castlewood and Twin Springs?

Hurley will struggle to get to .500 but they did lose 4 out of 5 starters. I saw a good turnout of old faces and some "new" old faces at practice. Hopefully, they can gel and have a decent season but it will be a big drop off from the last 2-3 years.

Gate City and Virginia High boys should be at the top in the area again I'd say. VHS returning 3 starters, GC with their center Arnold, Ervin, Bowen, among others back. On the girls side, Gate City had a young team that finished strong last year and will probably be good again. Central, Lee High, and Virginia High up there too again probably. Lee will have a new coach as the former jv coach Elkins takes over. He did well with the jv teams and I would expect him to do well with the varsity too.

I don't know of any schools in our area that are really "up" this year...kinda odd....usually you have at least one. Twin Valley may have something going on this year, not sure.

Galax will be surprisingly good after back to back state championships and loosing everyone to graduation. They will go 12 deep and run people out of the gym, kinda like the 2007-2009 teams that lost in the state semi's. Great shooters, exceptional speed and quickness and good size.

Could possibly have two freshmen in the starting lineup. One of those freshmen, Stew Merdian, is 6'-5" tall and a D-1 baseball prospect. Plays for a travel ball team out of Salem that is dominant with him being 3-4 years younger than anyone else on the team.

One thing about starting so many young kids last year at Wise Central,the kids got some valuable experience. look for Caleb Mills,Jimmy Williams and the Warriors to easily be the most improved team in the region. I like Union to win it, but Central could make some noise

In the Clinch Mountain District (boys), Gate City and Va High should be the top 2 but don't forget about Lebanon. They were very young last year (started 2 freshmen and a 3rd played a lot of minutes) and I think they only lost Justin Brown (I think that was his name). I think Battle will pull of an upset or two this year. It will take a while for the football players to get into basketball mode, but I wouldn't be surprised if they turn in to a pretty competitive team by the end of the season. I don't know much about Lee this year.

Doesn't Haysi have a lot returning? Maybe Castlewood and Twin Springs?

I have heard that Haysi is going to be good this year. As for Castlewood, they return 2 very good guards Austin and Edmonds. The question for them will be their inside play and if they can develop that then they could make a run at the region D1 title again. I heard TS is going to be down this year and as far as I know they don't have a foreign recruit to help carry the load. I look for Eastside to be pretty good as well and the Cumberland could come down to them and Castlewood.

I have heard that Haysi is going to be good this year. As for Castlewood, they return 2 very good guards Austin and Edmonds. The question for them will be their inside play and if they can develop that then they could make a run at the region D1 title again. I heard TS is going to be down this year and as far as I know they don't have a foreign recruit to help carry the load. I look for Eastside to be pretty good as well and the Cumberland could come down to them and Castlewood.

Twin Springs doesn't have a 6ft 7in. foreign exchange student? Who just so happened can play basketball? OMG