John Battle @ Fort Chiswell

starcityfootballfan

Here is another game where I hate to see any one of the two participants eliminated; however, one season will end for one within days. No doubt, John Battle is heralding the school's best team and secured the D2 West fourth place seed with a 9-1 regular season. The story book season continued in a BIG way last week when the Trojans smashed through Giles and the single wing. Many eye-brows were raised across the Commonwealth when the final score hit the airwaves. Finally, everyone in the state realized what all of us already knew ... the boys from Bristol are good ... very good!

The Pioneers from Max Meadows could easily be known as the "heart attack kids." Trust me I know, as I was there for the Galax implosion and fan coronary. Fort Chiswell quickly recovered from an early season defeat at the hands of George Wythe and has not looked back since. The Pioneers certainly have the right chemistry, and a measure of luck, as they won three BIG games within the last seconds ... Galax, Graham, and Grayson County. Will Fort Chiswell have what it takes to pull off last second heroics for a fourth time? No!

Although I hate to see the MED go down to "no teams remaining," John Battle will be so far ahead that a last minute touchdown will not matter this time ....

John Battle 30

Fort Chiswell 14

Thought/predictions?

I think it's a close game...the Chiz are pretty good and have the home field. JSB has been hit and miss at times...if they come out flat they might find themselves in a lot of trouble quickly.

I say could go either way -3

I think JSB should win this game, and their victory against Giles proved to me that they are legit. Fort Chiswell's 4th quarter luck will run out in this game.

JSB-24

Fort-20

BTW, I was on Twitter and saw that they had posted JSB's all time record in football, and this came as a surprise to me.

John Battle's all-time football record as culled from the BHC archives: 175-349-10

Edited by BlueTornadoFan

After they took Giles out like they did, I knw JB is for real! FC may hang in there but these Bristol boys may lay the smack down on some Pioneers!! And ill take a sec to say BATTLE seemed to show some of the best sportmanship of any team ive seen play!! Players and fans!!! Its awesome to see good classy teams play well and represent SWVA!!!! Good luck BATTLE!!

BATTLE- 31

FORT- 20

There is a big difference between Giles and Fort. Giles opponents records outside of playing Giles were a combined 56-76. For Fort it is 83-53(counting JB). Not taking anything away from JB, I am not sure that Giles was a good team or really good team. I told a couple friends when Fort struggled with JB in the benefit game that Jb will have their best team in the last decade.Fort is a team that will make your heart jump though. Even though they outgained Grayson last week by 250 yards-27 seconds to go to win.

There is a big difference between Giles and Fort. Giles opponents records outside of playing Giles were a combined 56-76. For Fort it is 83-53(counting JB). Not taking anything away from JB, I am not sure that Giles was a good team or really good team. I told a couple friends when Fort struggled with JB in the benefit game that Jb will have their best team in the last decade.Fort is a team that will make your heart jump though. Even though they outgained Grayson last week by 250 yards-27 seconds to go to win.

This

Best post of the day. Fort wins by 10!

Fort is very solid, but they are slow on defense. I'm not sure they can keep winning close games. They are definitely very solid and deserve to be there, but are by no means unbeatable. I haven't seen Battle play....but I am pulling for the MED to win.

I've picked Battle to lose the last two weeks, so with that being said, i'm picking them to lose again.

I had not seen Giles play until last week and they looked very slow. After seeing them i was surprised they had went 10-1 up to that point to be honest.

Fort/Battle will be a close one IMHO but i think Fort takes this one late.

Fort 26, Battle 21

I do hope to see the winner of this game in Salem in a couple of weeks. Good to see both schools doing so well!

To me, it seems like Fort has that last quarter (and in some cases, last minute) drive to beat their opponents. But Battle is probably the most conditioned team I've ever seen (not seen a single cramp or bent-over player catching his breath all season). Both teams are extremely similar with both being able to find ways to win, no matter the opponent. Will Fort's final push win it for them like it has against other really good teams or will Battle's conditioning counter it. Guess we'll have to wait until Friday night to see. All I know is...this should be one heck of a game!

Also, it should be a really good crowd. I know Fort will bring plenty of fans and with the schools not being that far apart (and with the excitement on Battle Hill this year) the Trojans should travel very well to this one. Good thing I'll be with the coaches filming the game and not fighting for a spot to sit/stand on the visitor's side, lol.

I watched the Battle/Giles game--and Battle reminded me alot of Gate City (previous years) with their power running game. I believe they maybe threw 5 passes.

Get ready to hear the Luchini brothers' name called alot. Seemed as if on every play last week, against the Spartans, it was number 30 or number 80 being called for the tackle.

I was very, very impressed with the Battle fans--the student section, the band and I loved the PA announcer with his "and it's another Trojan first down" with the fans saying it with him.

The prayer that was offered before the game--that young lady did an outstanding job, it was from the heart. More meaningful and reflective than the moment of silence.

I had never been to Battle Hill before, but I was impressed with the facilities (excluding one, the port-a-potty) believe it was a hold over from the previous week. lol

All that being said, if Battle plays a complete game as they did last week with no turnovers, I believe they are the winner over FC.

Life has many choices---eternity two

I was very, very impressed with the Battle fans--the student section, the band and I loved the PA announcer with his "and it's another Trojan first down" with the fans saying it with him.

Me too! alot of coordination on Battle Hill

Funny how everyone is on JB's bandwagon when just a week ago everyone thought they were over rated. I am always happy for a school to get this far when they usually struggle in years past. That can be said for both teams in this one.

Battle beating Giles was huge. However, I have stated more than once that Giles had played 1 good defense this year in Christiansburg. I guess Blacksburg was average. That's it. No other team they face even had a decent D. It certainly showed last Friday. The thing about Fort is they are huge on the o-line. They are much better upfront than Giles IMO. There is no reason this thing shouldn't be a great game. Both teams and communities will be in a real frenzyabout "state" if their team wins......enjoy it!

Funny how everyone is on JB's bandwagon when just a week ago everyone thought they were over rated. I am always happy for a school to get this far when they usually struggle in years past. That can be said for both teams in this one.

Battle beating Giles was huge. However, I have stated more than once that Giles had played 1 good defense this year in Christiansburg. I guess Blacksburg was average. That's it. No other team they face even had a decent D. It certainly showed last Friday. The thing about Fort is they are huge on the o-line. They are much better upfront than Giles IMO. There is no reason this thing shouldn't be a great game. Both teams and communities will be in a real frenzyabout "state" if their team wins......enjoy it!

Should be a great game! I'm going to go with Battle here in a slugfest... 28 to 21!

This...