Eligibility Rules

MrSocko

What do you think of the one and done in college basketball? What about the NFL rule of a player must be out of high school 3 years? With all the recent talk of Jadeveon Clowney and now Nerlens Noel, this is going to be a hot topic for a couple of weeks.

I believe the top prospects in basketball right out of high school are NBA ready, however I feel strongly that they should attend college for at least 2 years. College often provides the foundation for people to develop a sense of responsibility.

Regarding the NFL the current rule is sufficient. Bigger, stronger, faster... Football is a much more physical game than basketball and players need more time to develop.

I think if it's 3 years out of high school for football, then it should be 3 years for basketball. But maybe that's my selfishness coming out. College basketball is on a steep decline.

Agree 100%. College hoops is awful anymore...

I think if it's 3 years out of high school for football, then it should be 3 years for basketball. But maybe that's my selfishness coming out. College basketball is on a steep decline.

One and done is part of the problem. AAU programs that emphasize one on one play versus team play has led to players with diminished all around skills. The love of the 3, has led to players throwing up ill advised shots rather than trying to make a move and taking an open mid-range shot. Without the mid-range shot, it makes it harder to attack the gaps in zones that most teams use. Also, the college game suffers from the physical nature of defense that coaches are teaching.

I think college hoops should go to the same system that baseball uses. Players can be drafted out of high school. If they chose to play college ball, they are committed to play three years before they can be drafted again. If they aren't happy with where they are drafted, they can return for their senior season.

This system has worked for decades. It allows those who sign to begin their professional careers and provides stability for college programs.

I think college hoops should go to the same system that baseball uses. Players can be drafted out of high school. If they chose to play college ball, they are committed to play three years before they can be drafted again. If they aren't happy with where they are drafted, they can return for their senior season.

Hold the phones, we have a winner!

"I think college hoops should go to the same system that baseball uses. Players can be drafted out of high school. If they chose to play college ball, they are committed to play three years before they can be drafted again. If they aren't happy with where they are drafted, they can return for their senior season."

I think that is a great solution and it's been right in front of the "powers that be" all this time. Bill Self said on PTI "that it makes a mockery of the educational system when kids come in and take 6 hours of electives then play for or win a National Title and leave after one year".

The deal with Jadaveon Clowney is he hasn't faced 16 weeks of NFL quality tackles. I'm not saying he is overated but in the Michigan game he had been rather quiet up until that BIG HIT. I just think football players need more time to mature and work on technique.

I heard Bill Curry I think talking about all this on Mike and Mike this morning and it was his thought that if anyone ever takes it to the supreme court the NFL NBA or whomever could not keep kids from declaring for the draft straight out of high school.

Kids turn pro in tennis and golf (girls more so than boys) in their teens.

The problem is money.....as long as top draft choices continually get huge dollars NFL teams would be reluctant to draft these kids high and pay them to develop while they mature and learn the system....when many will be free agents before they are ready to contribute. Yes there is the occasional man child who could right out of high school but most are not ready for the NFL at 18 or 19 years old.

I like the idea of basketball adopting the baseball rule: go right out of high school if you want but if not must stay 3 years of college.

For football I would like to see the main draft continue as is....but have a supplemental draft for kids not currently elgible with a much lower pay scale so that teams wouldnt be shelling out huge amounts so they could develop the kids without the added pressure of putting them on the field if the athelete chooses to go that route in place of college. I dont think we would ever see farm teams in football but baseball has the best concept in place in my opinion.