Best football memories

futbolking

I must say that was one of my 'worst' memories in 4 years at THS (ha.ha.). I was a freshman that year and was on the sideline when that unfolded. It was an unbelievable play! During those years i believe the Tazewell/Graham rivalry was stronger than the rivalry with Richlands.

I must say that was one of my 'worst' memories in 4 years at THS (ha.ha.). I was a freshman that year and was on the sideline when that unfolded. It was an unbelievable play! During those years i believe the Tazewell/Graham rivalry was stronger than the rivalry with Richlands.

Yes...back then Graham and Tazewell was the big county rivalry and Richlands was still a rival but not as big...

I think it was 1987. Virginia High and Richlands tied at Ernie. VHS appears to be going to take a knee on the last play when Scott Jones (VA Tech) drops back and I forget who caught the bomb for the game winning TD to end the game.

Playoff game between Graham and Gretna. Vic Hall & Co. v. Ahmad. Just a great game, even with the outcome.

Yes, I thought A.B. was the best player on the field that day, he just didn't have the supporting cast that Gretna had. They had a couple of awesome receivers that made some spectacular catches and they had good size and speed.

I think it was 1987. Virginia High and Richlands tied at Ernie. VHS appears to be going to take a knee on the last play when Scott Jones (VA Tech) drops back and I forget who caught the bomb for the game winning TD to end the game.

It was '88. It was my senior year. And it happened to be homecoming.

I still bear an otherwise irrational hatred toward Virginia High.

Playoff game between Graham and Gretna. Vic Hall & Co. v. Ahmad. Just a great game, even with the outcome.

After being down 27-0 and all, Graham still had a chance to win that after picking Hall off inside the Graham 20. Was one that I listened to via cell phone stuck next to the radio in 2003.

Yet another game where Graham goes down to the eventual state champion. There's several of 'em. :(

The Hit. Period.

That doesn't match what Ahmad did to that poor Liberty-Bedford schmoe on the opening kickoff of that state semifinal game in 2001. Can't beat that one for "tone setter".

That doesn't match what Ahmad did to that poor Liberty-Bedford schmoe on the opening kickoff of that state semifinal game in 2001. Can't beat that one for "tone setter".

That was incredible, best high school hit I've ever seen. But, are you sure it was the opening kickoff? I don't remember it that way.

That was incredible, best high school hit I've ever seen. But, are you sure it was the opening kickoff? I don't remember it that way.

It was the kickoff after we scored to make it 7-0. Couple minutes into the game.

It was the kickoff after we scored to make it 7-0. Couple minutes into the game.

Incredible play....and even Liberty fans that were there still talk about that hit.....

I talked with a guy in Lynchburg last summer that went to that game....He was impressed with the stadium and the fans for Graham...He said he'll always remember walking into Mitchell Stadium and in his words seeing "that 4 story press box"......He also thought that Graham was a lock to win the title that year after the drubbing they put on Liberty....I still say they were the better team in that game.......I was stunned at play calling in the title game...

After being down 27-0 and all, Graham still had a chance to win that after picking Hall off inside the Graham 20. Was one that I listened to via cell phone stuck next to the radio in 2003.

Yet another game where Graham goes down to the eventual state champion. There's several of 'em. :(

Hey UVAOB do you remember Chuck Perdue? heard he was a big hitter fot the G Men.

Ah. Time makes fools of us all, it seems. In 10 years, I'll be remembering that Ahmad impaled the guy on a dead sprint with flames shooting forth from his shoulder pads. But I'll never forget hearing that from 26 rows up.

Hey UVAOB do you remember Chuck Perdue? heard he was a big hitter fot the G Men.

A little before my time, unfortunately, but I have family who played that likely do.

Incredible play....and even Liberty fans that were there still talk about that hit.....

I talked with a guy in Lynchburg last summer that went to that game....He was impressed with the stadium and the fans for Graham...He said he'll always remember walking into Mitchell Stadium and in his words seeing "that 4 story press box"......He also thought that Graham was a lock to win the title that year after the drubbing they put on Liberty....I still say they were the better team in that game.......I was stunned at play calling in the title game...

I couldn't make it to that title game, but I remember just being dumbfounded. Graham went away from everything that worked all year long, and when the play calls were there, the execution wasn't even close. And that converted fake FG...everyone but Glynn Carlock knew that fake was coming. It couldn't help that Harrisonburg's coach (Sarver) was from Bluefield. It also couldn't help that the team was shamefully cocky about it; I was in school at that time, and the phrase "set a scoring record" was mentioned by more than a few. Just a perfect storm for defeat.

I couldn't make it to that title game, but I remember just being dumbfounded. Graham went away from everything that worked all year long, and when the play calls were there, the execution wasn't even close. And that converted fake FG...everyone but Glynn Carlock knew that fake was coming. It couldn't help that Harrisonburg's coach (Sarver) was from Bluefield. It also couldn't help that the team was shamefully cocky about it; I was in school at that time, and the phrase "set a scoring record" was mentioned by more than a few. Just a perfect storm for defeat.

I had to pick a weekend to be off from work that year, so I chose the Liberty-Bedford game over the championship game. Everybody in the state knew that the Graham-Liberty game was the actual state title game, except for Harrisonburg. Not to call you out again, but wasn't it a fake punt, called by Sarver, who actually executed a similar fake punt against Graham years before?

I do. I was but a youngster back then. Chuck's brother and my uncle were best friends.

I had to pick a weekend to be off from work that year, so I chose the Liberty-Bedford game over the championship game. Everybody in the state knew that the Graham-Liberty game was the actual state title game, except for Harrisonburg. Not to call you out again, but wasn't it a fake punt, called by Sarver, who actually executed a similar fake punt against Graham years before?

No worries. Proverbs 15:32.

That one, though, I could've sworn was a FG from distance. I remember clearly that it was just before halftime, Graham leading 10-7. The FG, in even remotely good weather, would've made sense. The kicker was at the far outer limits of his range (47 yards?). But to try a FG (1) from 40+ yards (2) in a state title game (3) on a rain-slicked field didn't make 1 ounce of sense to me.

Or it could be another Liberty-Bedford thing. That, too.

Ah. Time makes fools of us all, it seems. In 10 years, I'll be remembering that Ahmad impaled the guy on a dead sprint with flames shooting forth from his shoulder pads. But I'll never forget hearing that from 26 rows up.

A little before my time, unfortunately, but I have family who played that likely do.

Actually the flames were coming from his shoulder pads lol. The fake punt was the same play that beaver ran against us in 1962. Sarver was on that beaver team. It was the year before Carlock became an assistant up there. It won the game for them, its a good play. Make the best executed fake punt I've ever seen. In my opinion, we lost the Harrisonburg game in the first 3 series we had the ball. They couldn't stop us except when it mattered. It should have been 21-0, but they stuffed us at the one, then made us kick a short field goal. Instead it was 10-0, and we never recovered.

Actually the flames were coming from his shoulder pads lol. The fake punt was the same play that beaver ran against us in 1962. Sarver was on that beaver team. It was the year before Carlock became an assistant up there. It won the game for them, its a good play. Make the best executed fake punt I've ever seen. In my opinion, we lost the Harrisonburg game in the first 3 series we had the ball. They couldn't stop us except when it mattered. It should have been 21-0, but they stuffed us at the one, then made us kick a short field goal. Instead it was 10-0, and we never recovered.

I will never forget the size of the crowd that Graham brought to Lynchburg for that game. We had folks from the WV side there along with the likes of many other SWVA schools. Even the Pulaski fans cheered for Graham as the G-Men made it onto the field. Too bad, both Pulaski and Graham lost that day. It seemed to be a long drive back to Roanoke that day. Unfortunately, the rest of my family had to continue the even longer drive back to Bluefield. We all recovered by the next day and still enjoy that great season that is remembered fondly.

Edited by starcityfootballfan

Lucky Daggs caught the pass in the end zone. Lucky ran right past the corner, who went by the name "toast" the rest of the year after that play.

Edited by 89Tornado

I got two best football memories, 1. 1999 region d championship between Honaker and Clintwood, Heath Miller vs. Justin Hamilton plus that game went into 2 overtimes. and 2, Honaker vs. Sussex Central, Honaker scoring 41 unanswered point in the second half to beat Sussex Central.

The Hit. Period.

This clip does more justice.

Been so many good plays over the years hard to pick just one.

Was standing on the fence looking down the yard line right in front of this, and for a split second thought the kids head was still in helmet until I seen him crawling around on the ground trying to recover it.

What a memory! I was at that game as well. Go G-Men!

Ahmad was a highlight reel in nearly every game he was ever in, besides him I believe the famous "was he in or not " Will Cole touchdown vs Graham, course he wasn't LOL