More bad news for Carnival

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/09/18143580-two-passengers-vanish-from-carnival-cruise-ship?lite

Seriously, how much more can happen with Carnival cruises? At least this wasn't a major ship malfunction or something along those lines....but still tragic nonetheless.

Carnival has had a ton of bad press lately, some of it deserved, some of it not; however, Carnival does not deserve the bad press for this. I have been on several cruise ships, and I assure you it would be impossible to "accidentally" fall over board. You would either have to be pushed, jump, or be very careless and stupid to go overboard.

Carnival has had a ton of bad press lately, some of it deserved, some of it not; however, Carnival does not deserve the bad press for this. I have been on several cruise ships, and I assure you it would be impossible to "accidentally" fall over board. You would either have to be pushed, jump, or be very careless and stupid to go overboard.

From a legal view: common carriers have pretty much the highest standard of care in tort liability that any entity can possibly have. Sure, they make you sign those little waivers, but a common carrier cannot insulate itself against its own negligence or willful conduct. The result? Millions of dollars spent studying safety and implementing the safest equipment possible.*

The time of the accident was 8:55 PM local. That's not in the "nothing good happens at X hour" range, but it's also dark at 8:55 PM there (remember: days get shorter this time of year down under). Clearly, by the pictures, nothing was broken. To piggyback: yes, you'd either have to intentionally climb the railings or be thrown over.

*Unless you follow the strategy of the FAA, which states that a human life is worth $6M, and if the cost of implementing the change does not save enough lives to outweigh the cost, don't implement it. The FAA is "federal", meaning a part of the federal government. Yes, this is how the government thinks of you.

If you were to research how often folks vanish off of cruise ships it would blow your mind.

UVAO since most of the cruise ships sail under foreign flags, doesn't that limit their liability in American courts? I seem to remembers that from a course I took in college 23453 years ago.