BHC-With VHSL's historic realignment, district hardware fading away

trublue

Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:55 pm | Updated: 12:04 am, Thu Jul 18, 2013.

Nate Hubbard | Bristol Herald Courier

EXCERPT:

So why are districts still around at all?

According to VHSL executive director Ken Tilley, it’s because the death of districts was a deal breaker.

“Four years ago when we first seriously explored altering the three classifications, there was considerable interest and support for it with the exception of the vast majority of schools liked their district alignment,†Tilley said. “So going into this format we said we’re not going to change your district alignment.â€

“The beauty of this thing is everybody wanted to remain in their own district to preserve rivalries,†added Eastside principal Dante Lee, the chairman of the VHSL’s executive committee during the development of the plans. “We allowed them to do that.â€

Under the new six-class arrangement, district members are not restricted to the same classification level, meaning, to cite another extreme example, the nine-team Dominion District in Richmond, a AAA league in years past, will now be made up of 6A, 5A, 4A and 3A schools.

LINK for rest of article:

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_db9bec74-ef5d-11e2-b18f-0019bb30f31a.html

we "allowed" them? Geez, what a ... well, I won't say it.

First, and I may be dead wrong on this, but it seems like the only way schools said they'd approve the 6-Class plan was if Districts remained.

Second, even though the VHSL doesn't 'officially' recognize Districts now, they still control who is in which... just ask Marion & Va. High. If the VHSL isn't "using" Districts, why are they still controlling them?

“I really think you’re going to see as time goes on some of these conferences become districts,” (Dante) Lee said. “I’m going to guess that that’s going to increase in the next two-year cycle.”

This, lets go with this.

In S.C. they use the same type of classification system (6A,6AA, 6AAA etc.). The games just don't seem to have the same "feel" as when you have districts. And with the playoff system you can have a good record and get beat out of a spot by a team that may be half way across the state and not have as good of a record as you.

“I really think you’re going to see as time goes on some of these conferences become districts,” (Dante) Lee said. “I’m going to guess that that’s going to increase in the next two-year cycle.”

This, lets go with this.

This ties back to my original point regarding this whole debacle.

What we currently have is excessive and far from perfect but it is what it is, a soft step in the right direction. Changing the conferences into districts makes sense but idk if it will happen. When you look at some of the districts on the coast with multiple classifications in the same district it would definitely change the way they do things. I say keep the districts to help with scheduling and cut down on travel times but eliminate the district tournaments. They are pointless.